Cirencester Park- Jeremy Vine Radio 2 (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
It is private land and will cost a lot to maintain. Maybe the local council should contribute?

Having used it a few times to and from the CMC site I have to say it is a magnificent place. I like that snack bar there too.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Apparently he’s going to discuss the new charges today. Personally I think it’s sad that people will be charged to access this beautiful park.
If the upkeep is too costly maybe the owner's social conscience would prompt him to sell part of it for an affordable housing estate and a solar farm?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Apparently he’s going to discuss the new charges today. Personally I think it’s sad that people will be charged to access this beautiful park.
It needs ongoing care. £4 per visit is a little steep though.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We happened to stay at the CAMC last Thursday and went into the Park on Friday, the day charges started. Access will still be free with a pass obtained from club reception. Local residents can buy an annual pass for £10. I don’t know how many tourists to Cirencester would go to the park as there is a lot of other places to see in the town.
It will probably impact the cafe.
There seem to be two main entrances to be manned. There were 2 staff in the one we used.
Maintenance costs have to be met somehow, NT grounds have a charge, local parks are paid for in council taxes.
I am assuming that there is no public right of way across the park.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
There are no rights of way across the park, as you rightly assume Riverbankannie .
We’ve paid our £10 ‘deposit’ for our locals pass, but haven’t received it yet - distribution issues, apparently - which is why the electronic gates are still open….
The other cafe at the Old Kennels at the east side of the park does not require a pass to get to, but the Airstream cafe will……

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
AndyPK I feel a bit sorry for the little airstream cafe as I suspect they will lose a lot of trade . We are unfortunately out of the GL postcode area to get a pass (which is fair enough) but we won’t bother buying an annual pass or pay £4 each to go in there .

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
NT grounds have a charge
NT charge for formal gardens and houses but not for most of the land they own, protect and manage. They own 780 miles of coastland and sometimes charge for parking.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Pembrey country park charges vehicle entrance but you can get annual pass for about £30.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Listened to the slot. Usual mouthy woman stridently talking over other contributors. Otherwise, didn’t learn much.

I can see the need for charging.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
People do not have to pay it. They can use other parks

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
That is answering a question with a question. If you do then please offer your input. Friends of the family on the radio show were very supportive of the need to fund the upkeep of the park.

Owned by the Bathurst family.

They own a lot of area around Ciren.
Not short of a couple of quid that’s for sure 😉😊

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Owned by the Bathurst family.

They own a lot of area around Ciren.
Not short of a couple of quid that’s for sure 😉😊
I knew that. And they sold some land for development which is now offshore. But this is the modern world and the upkeep, insurance, and other costs must be enormous.
Nothing is for free these days.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I knew that. And they sold some land for development which is now offshore. But this is the modern world and the upkeep, insurance, and other costs must be enormous.

My post was merely suggesting they arnt short of a few bob.

Would be interesting the legal side of things given it has been a non charged access before.

I’m no legal eagle so wouldn’t know.
I don’t frequent the Park so have no axe to grind either way 😊

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
there are lots of free parks, national parks, forests and millions of acres of open land in Scotland you can roam, and wild camp (with a small tent) free of charge ..

If the knobs cant afford to run it, give it the people or NT to run ..

maybe one for the boycott thread

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The trouble is that the ‘affordable housing’ is quite expensive…… (https://thesteadingscirencester.co.uk/)
I know. I was using the term pejoratively.
In a recent development in my Downland village so few have been able to afford the terraced 2 bed 'affordable' ones at £335k that Croydon council (40 miles away) have rented some of them to house their unemployed homeless.
Talking to a local dog walker who's on one of the parish committees she said the new 3 and 4 bed neighbours (£525k to £625k) on the estate aren't welcoming towards some of the (allegedly unruly) new occupants.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
there are lots of free parks, national parks, forests and millions of acres of open land in Scotland you can roam, and wild camp (with a small tent) free of charge ..

OK, what I meant that nothing was free to maintain. All you mention are owned by someone, some by councils and maybe the state, but they are paid for by way of taxes or the owners. If the owners suddenly decide to charge then so be it.
I know in Scotland you have different laws re roaming.

We have a large free park in our town plus some other green areas free to use. But it's the ratepayer who pays for their upkeep not a private family or business. So, as a ratepayer I am paying for my free access.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985

And home rule for Scotland!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I would think everyone who stays on the camc site will walk into town via the park as it’s such a nice walk. I have done it and can’t get past the airstream without having a hot chocolate and sausage roll. 👍

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Cirencester CMC sites is one of my favourites. That is because of the Bathurst estate that it is located on.
I go there to walk in the opposite direction from the town.
Once beyond the polo club, I can find myself in beautiful countryside, with the occasional deer or more leaping across the tree avenue in front of me.
I usually make it as far as the Bell Inn at Sapperton before returning.
The thing is. If I hadn't found this gem of the English countryside about twelve years ago, when I first started with a motorhome, I'd have probably gone back to package hols to Greece etc.
The town itself is a nice place to spend a few days as is most of the Cotswolds area.
I only visit one or maybe twice a year but I feel the instigation of an access fee will probably backfire.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back