Chunnel costs, cancellations et al (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We had a booking for last January.. For obvious reasons it could not be used :)
Phoned the lovely folk at the chunnel and they said no probs, we will book a slot in September, and if you still cannot travel address it again then
Phoned them back this morning... No worries.. I can postpone again up until December
I said our next trip is in fact January..
Oh.. by then it will have expired, but not an issue, we can give you a full refund so you can rebook

I thanked the lady for all her help, and was grateful to get the lolly so I can book any time

Rebooked expecting to be mugged at checkout considering all the comments on here about massive price hikes
Nope :)
It was dearer yes, by about £30.. Which I did not consider too bad... About a £7 per journey rise over 18 months and in the present climate ........ and £4 of that was the rise in pet fees ( which I do find a bit of a pee take, but that is down to DEFRA and NOT the chunnel )

Far from the chunnel pulling my pants down I reckon they have looked after me ( and therefore other folk ) to the best of their ability .. Thank you Chunnel !!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We had a booking for last January.. For obvious reasons it could not be used :)
Phoned the lovely folk at the chunnel and they said no probs, we will book a slot in September, and if you still cannot travel address it again then
Phoned them back this morning... No worries.. I can postpone again up until December
I said our next trip is in fact January..
Oh.. by then it will have expired, but not an issue, we can give you a full refund so you can rebook

I thanked the lady for all her help, and was grateful to get the lolly so I can book any time

Rebooked expecting to be mugged at checkout considering all the comments on here about massive price hikes
Nope :)
It was dearer yes, by about £30.. Which I did not consider too bad... About a £7 per journey rise over 18 months and in the present climate ........ and £4 of that was the rise in pet fees ( which I do find a bit of a pee take, but that is down to DEFRA and NOT the chunnel )

Far from the chunnel pulling my pants down I reckon they have looked after me ( and therefore other folk ) to the best of their ability .. Thank you Chunnel !!
Always found the chunnle folk very obligeing, makes it worth the extra.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
What type of ticket was that.
Standard or flexible.

I think I need to cancel mine.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What type of ticket was that.
Standard or flexible.

I think I need to cancel mine.
Just a standard.. Canna afford a flexi !

Jul 1, 2016
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T620g
Exp
since 1969
Unless you want to come back early due to an emergency
Then its a minimum of £100 extra and no alternative
Each time that I have had to return early I phone them the day before I need to travel. I have only been charged the difference between the fare for the day I had originally booked and the fare for the new date and time. In practice it has varied from £zero to £30.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Never been charged for an alteration.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
What rubbish, have had to do this on several occasions, never cost more than an extra £20.00! Always very helpful.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
What rubbish, have had to do this on several occasions, never cost more than an extra £20.00! Always very helpful.

So now you are the expert on all thing and able to accuse others of talking rubbish

My wife broke a crown on her upper front tooth on a Baguett in France. The best/only solution was to rush back and have her dentist fix it.
At check-in they charged us £100 on top of the £86 we had already paid- to return a week early.
We applied for a a refund after we arrived home explaining the situation. Their reply was that we should have bought a flexible return ticket

This was probably September 2014

Why would I make it up?
Shouldn't you learn not to talk rubbish and then maybe you wouldn't embarrass your self on here.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We was charged £104 for an early return a few years back
My fault as I got the bloody date wrong ( again ! )
We had the choice of either waiting for three days or coughing up
Those that know me will not be surprised to learn we stayed for an extra three days LOL !!

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I've done a couple of early returns in the past six years and only been charged the different rate due to crossing at a different time to that originally booked. Phoned them more that 24hrs before the changed crossing was required in one case but not in the other but still no extra charge.

Perhaps if you pull in to check-in and require a changed crossing then you pay through the nose but from experience if you give them some advance notice they will accommodate your request for no more that the rate difference.

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
The Channel Tunnel lot have been one of the best companies I have ever had the pleasure to do business with...

...from the folk doing the bookings to the folk seeing you on and off the trains.

Top stuff.

JJ :cool:
I love the Tunnel, and have used it many times. Only once, at Folkestone, I was driving up the lane, she could see me clearly (the only vehicle) and closed the barrier when I was 20 yards short. Having made my views clear to her, there were 4 watching me as they opened the barrier half an hour later!

Having crossed the Channel when the passenger “cattle boat” was heeling over, in about 1960, I’ll never go over the waves again!

PS they have been superb this last year: booked a May crossing in January 2020, obviously cancelled, given a voucher for this May, obviously cancelled again, given a voucher for next May to use within the following year. Brilliant; but of course they have had the money from the Tesco vouchers since January last year.

Last edited:

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Steal away, Not our experience. 5 years ago we turned up 2weeks early in Calais with me quite ill. The lady on check-in took one look at me and put us on the next train at no cost!
Brilliant service!

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
For over 30 years we always crossed the channel by boat (DFDS, Sea France, P&O, Sally lines etc) these crossings have been with solo car, car and caravan and more recently with a MH. The main reason for using the sea crossings has been cost - the difference between boat and Tunnel used to be huge. We also bought a house in France in 2005 and so additional crossings each year since - at least 6 returns per year with solo car.
However, in the last 2/3 years the price for the sea crossings has gone up and up and the difference is now about £10 each way.
In addition, making any changes to bookings cost £20 each way on the boats (if you buy the basic saver ticket) whereas on the Tunnel there is no fee. I had to make a change last year with P&O and the new crossing was in a cheaper time slot - they said they would put a credit on my account for future use but they didn’t do so and when I asked why, they denied having made that offer!
I decided to try the Chunnel for this year but had to make a change (due to Covid) and it was so simple to do online with no additional expense and I can change again if need be ( hopefully not).
So………..unless there are significant changes it will be Chunnel from now on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back