MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Has anyone ever spent Christmas in iper Belgium
A few things I know abut iper
  • 1 I know the site has limeted facility's
  • 2 I know it will be coald and possibly wet
  • 3 that almost every thing will be closed Xmas day.
  • We don't have time to go south don't want to meet up with any one for Christmas if the weather is crap so be it
  • So back to the qwestion anyone spent Xmas day in iper
Bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Is the place open Xmas day, I doubt it.
I know the site is with limited service we will be having Xmas diner in the van
Most of the hotels are operating Christmas day just wondering how busay over the Xmas period with tourist
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The campsite closes for the winter but the aire part in between the barriers is open all year.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The campsite closes for the winter but the aire part in between the barriers is open all year.
That's where we intend to spend Christmas eve and Christmas day boxing day since posting this thread I have fund out that iper is buzzing on boxing day and Christmas eve
A aparently bruges is good as well
Just sum plan making at the moment
We might go to Disney for Christmas yet
Bill

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Boxing Day is a normal day in Belgium. Evening of the 24th and the 25th are the days celebrated.

Bruges would be my choice over Christmas rather than Ieper.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My limited experience from our recent trip is everywhere is busy around Ypres. You might be lucky and find a space but be prepared for not finding anywhere. There is an aire a bit north of Poperinge we used which should be open and have space. It is at Sixtusbos and is #55234 on Campercontact. Nice place but miles from anywhere. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
My limited experience from our recent trip is everywhere is busy around Ypres. You might be lucky and find a space but be prepared for not finding anywhere. There is an aire a bit north of Poperinge we used which should be open and have space. It is at Sixtusbos and is #55234 on Campercontact. Nice place but miles from anywhere. :)
We are fully self contained I am sure will would find soumwhare to camp theirs a very big car park next to the railway station
Or at the side of the canal and next to the sports canter
Bill

Reactions: DBK
Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
There's a decent parking place down the lane at the left hand side of the Aire Zillebeke Vijver.

It's the Fisherman's car park (50.840946, 2.905829) and (see picture) is a good size and very quiet.

There are also some 'bays' to park on the lane going to the car park.

We stopped overnight last year on the Car park (50.843633, 2.899270) but it is at the junction of a couple of busy roads – although having consumed a brandy or two we weren't disturbed.

An Italian family in the nearby MH woke us up with the smell of their bacon being prepared – a wonderful smell.

When in Ypres please call at the British Cemetery Railway Dugouts (Transport Farm) near the Aire to pay your respects.

And, of course, a visit to the nightly Ceremony at the Menin Gate.

YPRES AIRE CAR PARK 1 (800 x 335).jpg

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
There's a decent parking place down the lane at the left hand side of the Aire Zillebeke Vijver.

It's the Fisherman's car park (50.840946, 2.905829) and (see picture) is a good size and very quiet.

There are also some 'bays' to park on the lane going to the car park.

We stopped overnight last year on the Car park (50.843633, 2.899270) but it is at the junction of a couple of busy roads – although having consumed a brandy or two we weren't disturbed.

An Italian family in the nearby MH woke us up with the smell of their bacon being prepared – a wonderful smell.

When in Ypres please call at the British Cemetery Railway Dugouts (Transport Farm) near the Aire to pay your respects.

And, of course, a visit to the nightly Ceremony at the Menin Gate.

View attachment 270081
thanks for that thata place I haven't stayed but have visited all the places you mention
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back