Chris Packham CBE (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Not wishing to be a party pooper , but dont see the need to reward someone for doing what is their own interest or advancement . Same as sports personalities . Should be reserved for those that do something outstanding that is not down to self interest, but for others. JMHO

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Not wishing to be a party pooper , but dont see the need to reward someone for doing what is their own interest or advancement . Same as sports personalities . Should be reserved for those that do something outstanding that is not down to self interest, but for others. JMHO
Quite agree, didn’t he used to be a wildlife photographer? Then reinvented himself to be all knowledgeable expert.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Quite agree, didn’t he used to be a wildlife photographer? Then reinvented himself to be all knowledgeable expert.

I don't know about reinventing himself. Whatever you might think of him he is probably the most expert person on wildlife matters we have apart from Sir David. He has an all encompassing knowledge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
You are probably not aware of his voluntary unpaid efforts in the fields of conservation and especially wildlife crime, to have someone of his high profile fighting these causes and bringing them to the attention of government and the public is a good thing.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You are probably not aware of his voluntary unpaid efforts in the fields of conservation and especially wildlife crime, to have someone of his high profile fighting these causes and bringing them to the attention of government and the public is a good thing.
May be he can afford to do voluntary work because he is doing a job he likes and is extremely well paid for it.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

I wasn't aware of that, so was bit surprised at the award but to find that he chooses to spend his spare time doing something good changes my opinion of it.

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
Did any of you see last year's documentary about him talking about Asperger syndrome, which he has? It was really good, showing how he has coped (or not at times) with it.
He is passionate about wildlife and conservation, doing so much behind the scenes to help and promote education in these areas.
Yes, he sometimes comes over as a bit eccentric but it can be part of his condition.
The award is well deserved.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Some of that I knew but a lot I didn’t including the self funding filming to try and help wildlife and consequenal arrest. Have followed his career as also suffer from Ménière’s disease and have been amazed that he was able to carry out his job as well as he can with it. Well deserved!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Not sure where you got that from, Chris Packham has been a wildlife and conservation champion all his life, well deserved, he makes it perfectly clear that he works independently of the BBC in his campaigning efforts.

It is great news todays announcement.

It is a wonderful team effort and he works alongside many wonderful people in conservation issues and he could not have achieved this without all their efforts, which he will be the first to acknowledge.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Not sure where you got that from, Chris Packham has been a wildlife and conservation champion all his life, well deserved, he makes it perfectly clear that he works independently of the BBC in his campaigning efforts.

It is great news todays announcement.

It is a wonderful team effort and he works alongside many wonderful people in conservation issues and he could not have achieved this without all their efforts, which he will be the first to acknowledge.

I’m sure it’s a team effort ,however, he did start as a photographer and progressed through getting into TV which gave him the platform to do what he does.
Unfortunately, there are a great many people throughout the UK that put an enormous amount into conservation but they are invisible to the general public and receive no Thanks other than the well being of knowing that they are putting something back into wildlife.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Think that the biggest threat to wildlife etc is the human population. They could stop paying for people to have kids and end migration and then there would not be such a threat to our wildlife and countryside.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I’m sure it’s a team effort ,however, he did start as a photographer and progressed through getting into TV which gave him the platform to do what he does.
Unfortunately, there are a great many people throughout the UK that put an enormous amount into conservation but they are invisible to the general public and receive no Thanks other than the well being of knowing that they are putting something back into wildlife.

I remember him on the tv, the really wild show, that's where he started out 1986 it began when he was 25. He is now 57.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Think that the biggest threat to wildlife etc is the human population. They could stop paying for people to have kids and end migration and then there would not be such a threat to our wildlife and countryside.

Are you seriously suggesting that migrants and child benefit are a threat to our wildlife.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Are you seriously suggesting that migrants and child benefit are a threat to our wildlife.
Yes. If the population keeps growing unchecked where are they all going to live and grow food. Will we save a wood for the wildlife and leave people homeless or build homes. If we need less food then there is less need for such intensive farming leaving fields of grass with worms and bugs in for the wildlife , rather then pumping fertiliser in to mono crops devoid of wildlife etc. So yes endless population growth will kill off the wildlife, but that doesn’t make good tv does it.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010

You are right on the nail with that, I have been a very active volunteer with a bird organization for 18 years now, part of a team working out of the limelight monitoring a raptor species at its winter roosts out on the moors.We are out in all but the most severe weathers one afternoon a week till dusk from the beginning of October till the end of March, when I first started it was a trek on ones own out across the moors wrapped for the elements and a bivvy bag to get into for shelter and to try and stay dry. Now with H & S we are still out alone but don't stray to far from our vehicles in case of bad weather. We all report in to a co-ordinator once on site and again on leaving and anyone of us can contact a team member should a problem arise.
I don't do it for any sort of recognition, the satisfaction I get is knowing its very worthwhile and it provides valuable information long term. I also volunteer for other wildlife survey work, Bats for 24 years, rare bird nest guarding and have carried out a lot of bird survey work for many years. There are hundreds of us doing exactly the same all over the UK

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You are right on the nail with that, I have been a very active volunteer with a bird organization for 18 years now, part of a team working out of the limelight monitoring a raptor species at its winter roosts out on the moors.We are out in all but the most severe weathers one afternoon a week till dusk from the beginning of October till the end of March, when I first started it was a trek on ones own out across the moors wrapped for the elements and a bivvy bag to get into for shelter and to try and stay dry. Now with H & S we are still out alone but don't stray to far from our vehicles in case of bad weather. We all report in to a co-ordinator once on site and again on leaving and anyone of us can contact a team member should a problem arise.
I don't do it for any sort of recognition, the satisfaction I get is knowing its very worthwhile and it provides valuable information long term. I also volunteer for other wildlife survey work, Bats for 24 years, rare bird nest guarding and have carried out a lot of bird survey work for many years. There are hundreds of us doing exactly the same all over the UK

Yes they do that right up here next to us on the moors Stewart, its not Teesdale you cover is it?

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Went off him when he suggested it may be best that pandas should be allowed to die out.
Sadly he had a point. ( not saying I agree with him ) They are an iconic species that actually have no effect on the circle of life. Pandas are neither prey or predators but what they do really well is attract buckets of funding for the WWF which obviously benefits the many rare and endangered species of animals in the world. If they had a rare lizard as their logo it is said that they wouldn’t attract anywhere near as much funding as they just aren’t cute enough and Pandas sure are cute.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
To the North of Teesdale in SW Northumberland the staggeringly beautiful North Pennines.

Good stuff, I am always out watching the Hen Harriers and waders, or watching them from the house, binoculars and telescope set up in the bedroom ready.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I find him annoying, he might be kind to his mum and good for charitable causes, but he is still annoying.

I learned today he is relatively local to us and lives on the New Forest, which in no way alters my opinion that he is a deeply annoying presenter.

Does he deserve a gong, no he doesn’t, Mrs Miggins the lollipop lady on the other hand does.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I find him annoying, he might be kind to his mum and good for charitable causes, but he is still annoying.

I learned today he is relatively local to us and lives on the New Forest, which in no way alters my opinion that he is a deeply annoying presenter.

Does he deserve a gong, no he doesn’t, Mrs Miggins the lollipop lady on the other hand does.

You obviously have no idea

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back