Chris Packham CBE (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I find him annoying, he might be kind to his mum and good for charitable causes, but he is still annoying.

I learned today he is relatively local to us and lives on the New Forest, which in no way alters my opinion that he is a deeply annoying presenter.

Does he deserve a gong, no he doesn’t, Mrs Miggins the lollipop lady on the other hand does.

I doubt that he lives where he does or that you find him annoying has any relevance to his award. People can be annoying but that does not detract from their contribution to society. Some of our greatest men and women may have had annoying traits but that didn’t stop them being the exceptionally talented people they were and using their talents to the benefit of society.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I doubt that he lives where he does or that you find him annoying has any relevance to his award. People can be annoying but that does not detract from their contribution to society. Some of our greatest men and women may have had annoying traits but that didn’t stop them being the exceptionally talented people they were and using their talents to the benefit of society.

Apart from the first sentence, which makes no sense, unless of course he doesn’t live where he says he does, a lot of what you say is correct.

But you can be great, talented and be a benefit to society without being on TV.

It’s unfortunate that from this side of the TV, Chris Packham CBE, only displays the annoying part and none of the attributes he surely possesses to earn an award.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Apart from the first sentence, which makes no sense, unless of course he doesn’t live where he says he does, a lot of what you say is correct.

But you can be great, talented and be a benefit to society without being on TV.

It’s unfortunate that from this side of the TV, Chris Packham CBE, only displays the annoying part and none of the attributes he surely possesses to earn an award.

You say you understand what an opinion is. You have yours and I mine.

You appear to have changed yours. You said earlier, ”Does he deserve a gong, no he doesn’t” you now talk of “attributes he surely possesses to earn an award”

You said he does not deserve an award even though you recognise he surely has the requisite attributes to earn one.

Which opinion do you actually subscribe to?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
You say you understand what an opinion is. You have yours and I mine.

You appear to have changed yours. You said earlier, ”Does he deserve a gong, no he doesn’t” you now talk of “attributes he surely possesses to earn an award”

You said he does not deserve an award even though you recognise he surely has the requisite attributes to earn one.

Which opinion do you actually subscribe to?

I don’t subscribe to an opinion, I have my own

I should have typed, attributes he should possess.

None of this alters my opinion, that

A) Mrs Miggins the lollipop lady deserves an award before the TV lovies including Chris Packham

B) Chris Packham is an annoying TV lovey

C) My opinion is my opinion, it’s not better that yours or yours better than mine.

HNY

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I don’t subscribe to an opinion, I have my own

I should have typed, attributes he should possess.

None of this alters my opinion, that

A) Mrs Miggins the lollipop lady deserves an award before the TV lovies including Chris Packham

B) Chris Packham is an annoying TV lovey

C) My opinion is my opinion, it’s not better that yours or yours better than mine.

HNY

Yes, fine, anything you say. Perhaps I should have asked which if your opinions you subscribe to. Still, no matter.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
CA722DF5-B633-436F-B852-09BC162393BC.jpeg

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010

Not quite sure what point you are making, but you can hardly expect anyone in the hunting or shooting fraternity to be full of praise on his award. The tweet Is wildly inaccurate in implying the Royal family make the nominations.
The link in my original post has been updated and it is worth reading the comments at the end of it, if you have an interest.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Or more likely it gives him a further platform and voice to continue the great work that he and those around him do, He has already just said that this is a great team effort and anything that will contribute to further this he and his team will accept.
Such as campaigning and petitioning to stop the mass slaughter of song birds in the Mediterranean area.
Loads of other examples, I'm not sure why anybody is against him, perhaps we should go through the honours list one by one and see if they deserve it.
I can't think of a more rewarding recipient myself, all the sirs and lords around in politicial circles who mainly sit on their fat arses.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Or more likely it gives him a further platform and voice to continue the great work that he and those around him do, He has already just said that this is a great team effort and anything that will contribute to further this he and his team will accept.
Such as campaigning and petitioning to stop the mass slaughter of song birds in the Mediterranean area.
Loads of other examples, I'm not sure why anybody is against him, perhaps we should go through the honours list one by one and see if they deserve it.
I can't think of a more rewarding recipient myself, all the sirs and lords around in politicial circles who mainly sit on their fat arses.

Quite so, I like to see awards go to people who actually really do something, they don't need to be in the public eye as long as they actually contribute something really useful. I think in this case the award is well deserved.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
You obviously don’t understand the term opinion
The link to the article in my first post on this thread, the title of the article explains why he has been given the award nothing to do with his tv presence. I have opinions and understand others have theirs fair enough in this instance mine is based on knowledge of his work off the screen for which I admire him and fervently believe his award is more worthy than Mrs Miggens the Lolipop lady. So we beg to differ.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I think it’s had it’s day and would be better if it wasn’t done at all.
I think it’s had it’s day and would be better if it wasn’t done at all.

On the contrary, I think a job well done deserves a pat on the back and a "well done" I don't say the system is perfect as it is, far from it, but I do think decent people who's efforts benefit all of us deserve recognition. I do not think awards should go with the job and be dished out automatically. They should be given on merit but merit that stems from benefit to society in general.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Not quite sure what point you are making, but you can hardly expect anyone in the hunting or shooting fraternity to be full of praise on his award. The tweet Is wildly inaccurate in implying the Royal family make the nominations.
The link in my original post has been updated and it is worth reading the comments at the end of it, if you have an interest.
To be honest I had never heard of him so did google him to find out what he was about.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
On the contrary, I think a job well done deserves a pat on the back and a "well done" I don't say the system is perfect as it is, far from it, but I do think decent people who's efforts benefit all of us deserve recognition. I do not think awards should go with the job and be dished out automatically. They should be given on merit but merit that stems from benefit to society in general.
Just give me the money. Job satisfaction never filled your belly.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Just give me the money. Job satisfaction never filled your belly.

Suppose for a moment you are one of two customers having work done on their Motorhome. On completion to a decent standard you tell the mechanic well done, thanks that’s a great job and you give him a can of beer from the fridge. The other customer just says where do I pay, does so and goes off without a word of thanks or a smile to anyone.

You both need later further work done and approach the same mechanic. Who do you think will be treated better, perhaps fitted into a busy schedule and perhaps given any available discounts. You or the other customer.

It’s called motivation. And it works.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Why give overpaid sportsman gongs when they are only doing a job how many dustman or nurses got a gong

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Suppose for a moment you are one of two customers having work done on their Motorhome. On completion to a decent standard you tell the mechanic well done, thanks that’s a great job and you give him a can of beer from the fridge. The other customer just says where do I pay, does so and goes off without a word of thanks or a smile to anyone.

You both need later further work done and approach the same mechanic. Who do you think will be treated better, perhaps fitted into a busy schedule and perhaps given any available discounts. You or the other customer.

It’s called motivation. And it works.
Well the only reason I get out of bed is for money, and in my world the only thing interest in is the numbers in the bottom corner of your slip. Nothing else. Nobody gives me a tip so why would I be giving someone beer for what they have already charged me. Some of you live in a funny world.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Well the only reason I get out of bed is for money, and in my world the only thing interest in is the numbers in the bottom corner of your slip. Nothing else. Nobody gives me a tip so why would I be giving someone beer for what they have already charged me. Some of you live in a funny world.

It’s funny you should say this.
I don’t get tips even though I’m told you’ve done a great job, I’m a carpenter.
Yet others are tipped even though they get paid to do a job well.

I’ve never quite got this :)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It’s funny you should say this.
I don’t get tips even though I’m told you’ve done a great job, I’m a carpenter.
Yet others are tipped even though they get paid to do a job well.

I’ve never quite got this :)
I guess if you see the customer you might get thanks, but how many people do.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

No offence intended but I do think I prefer my funny world and to be honest if I thought the only reason someone would want me as a customer was to screw every penny they could out of me, I would take my business elsewhere. I don’t call a can of beer tipping really. But tipping is a whole new subject.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
No offence intended but I do think I prefer my funny world and to be honest if I thought the only reason someone would want me as a customer was to screw every penny they could out of me, I would take my business elsewhere. I don’t call a can of beer tipping really. But tipping is a whole new subject.
I don’t know anyone who does it out of the kindness of their heart, you only go to work for money or sign on the dole if you don’t want to work which would give you time to work for kindness.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I don’t know anyone who does it out of the kindness of their heart, you only go to work for money or sign on the dole if you don’t want to work which would give you time to work for kindness.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
I don’t know anyone who does it out of the kindness of their heart,
I have to say, "Speak for yourself." I spent 10 years as a charity trustee/director, stressful at times, no connection with my job and a 120 mile round trip for each board meeting. We mustn't fall into the trap of thinking that all right-minded people have the same views as us.

Reactions: DBK

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I guess if you see the customer you might get thanks, but how many people do.

You would be surprised how few even offer a drink, hot or cold :rolleyes:

Anyone comes to ours to do something gets offered a drink straight away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back