Choosing a new van - beds, tables and grills (1 Viewer)

Apr 20, 2017
Wirksworth, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2006
I have had my little 16 year old Chausson Welcome 50 for 12 years. It packs a lot into a small space. One of the best things about it is the pull-down bed. It is stored vertically at the back of the van and just pulls down to sit over the seating area. bedding can be left on when in the stored position.
I feel it's time to upgrade to a little more luxury. I've been looking at low-profile coachbuilts up to 6m. (My Chausson's only 5.4 m, making supermarket access easy!).
There's so much choice out there, but the sticking point for me is the bed options. I don't want to make the bed up out of seats - that would be a backward step. Beds that drop down from the roof seem like a great idea, but I'm not convinced that they are robust and reliable. I wouldn't mind one it was manually operated, but they all seem to be electric. Does anyone know of a small coachbuilt with a manual drop-down bed?.
Fixed bed layouts seem to be sadly lacking in storage.
Also what's with those one-legged tables that with a lever that allows the top to be moved around? No option to move it out of the way altogether, or to use it outside. Some seem to even go up and down electrically. So much potential for things to go wrong....
Oh, and I need at least a grill, but an oven would be a bonus.
Anything up to 6 years old
Any suggestions?
(I know... keeping my Chausson is an obvious one)

Attachments

• P1030852.JPG
    P1030852.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 69

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I do like the idea of a bed you can leave made up! My little Nuevo is 5.4m and has a bed made from the seats but they just slide out rather than a jigsaw puzzle of cushions. Not ideal for long trips.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Vans are always competing for internal space. Perhaps considering a van with a garage to hold your goodies and beds fitted crossways can have space saving properties. If you get hold of various manufacturers leaflets, they almost all produce a range of different layouts that may give you a starting point.
Personally I always recommend visiting the largest motorhome shows to see what you can find that suits your needs best.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Love the layout of your current van and if I was a solo that is what I would want.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Have you considered getting a van & having it converted to your own specification?

OP
OP
Sandie
Apr 20, 2017
Wirksworth, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2006
Have you considered getting a van & having it converted to your own specification?
Thanks, but I don't want a van conversion, bespoke or otherwise. I don't like the fact that you're still stuck with the van doors. Thanks for the suggestion, though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back