Cheap campsite wanted for a few days at end of Feb... Shropshire (or open to suggestions 100 radius miles from Milton Keynes) (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Am I asking the impossible....

Just want a few days away in a week or so. Thought Shropshire might be nice Don't need electric - just water and waste maybe, might even manage without that. Don't need toilets and showers. Not a member of CCC or CAMC. Pub stops can work out expensive once you have had a meal and a bottle of wine - I have a kitchen and good cooking skills onboard.

Lot's of places don't open til March.

Don't like free car parks or other off grid particularly. Parking in fields can be dodgy in this wet weather so hardstanding might be useful.

Is there anything in the £10-15 range?

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
This is a gem of a campsite within walking distance of the town of Bishops Castle. They were charging £10 per person per night last year. Open from beginning of March.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Is Shrewsbury showground open?
Yes as long as it's not flooded :unsure: don't know if you can just ring the office and talk to Sue or whether it has to be booked via Pitch-Up which obviously puts the price up.

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Well, just to update my own request. Had a nice 4 nights away. 2 at Sutton Maddock Farm. A CAMC CL. The field was flooded but we parked up in the yard behind the farmhouse. £15 per night.

Then, The Half Moon at Jackfield. A great pub stop right on the river. £15 for a parking voucher which you can exchange for £15 off your food/drink. Popular places with 6 vans there when we were there.

Finally a CAMPRA aire near Market Drayton - £8 and it has access to water and a toilet.

So a nice frugal few days away. Lots of walking, cycling and exploring of Ironbridge plus a couple of National Trust properties.

IMG_20240226_091407.jpg

IMG_20240224_115031.jpg

IMG_20240224_085730.jpg

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
So you decided to join the CAMC then??
Actually, he was happy to have us without membership. However, I am a member now as I joined up at the NEC to get the 2 free nights.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Well, just to update my own request. Had a nice 4 nights away. 2 at Sutton Maddock Farm. A CAMC CL. The field was flooded but we parked up in the yard behind the farmhouse. £15 per night.

Then, The Half Moon at Jackfield. A great pub stop right on the river. £15 for a parking voucher which you can exchange for £15 off your food/drink. Popular places with 6 vans there when we were there.

Finally a CAMPRA aire near Market Drayton - £8 and it has access to water and a toilet.

So a nice frugal few days away. Lots of walking, cycling and exploring of Ironbridge plus a couple of National Trust properties.

View attachment 869363

View attachment 869364
View attachment 869365
So pleased you enjoyed my lovely bit of Shropshire.

Interesting to know that the Half Moon accommodates motorhomes! Quirky road leading to it which has been improved recently, I believe.

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007

View attachment 869363

View attachment 869364
View attachment 869365
Love a frugal trip....lol..... just been to Belgium for the opening cycling weekend.... we did Bray-Dunes when over €0.... 2 days in Deinze €0 , 2 days in Munlzwalm €50 and a night in Gistel to empty out tanks etc €14 so pretty frugal in the scheme of things..... price in the Supermarkets... Carrefour & Smatch were cheaper than the UK... the usual Bakers and Butchers were cheaper too..... Safe Travels and you show it can be done....even in the UK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Love a frugal trip....lol..... just been to Belgium for the opening cycling weekend.... we did Bray-Dunes when over €0.... 2 days in Deinze €0 , 2 days in Munlzwalm €50 and a night in Gistel to empty out tanks etc €14 so pretty frugal in the scheme of things..... price in the Supermarkets... Carrefour & Smatch were cheaper than the UK... the usual Bakers and Butchers were cheaper too..... Safe Travels and you show it can be done....even in the UK

Yup - the mistake was going to the CAMC CL. For the same price I could have had parking plus food and drinks. I guess emptying the toilet and filling up with water was helpful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back