Charging starter battery off "load" on solar (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
OK I know that this is not the right way to do it but I have been looking at somebodies van a they were having problems with the 12v not working and it seemed to be since they have had a new Solar regulator fitted and somebody connected the starter battery to the "load".

The van is a Bessecar 600 and has a relay to cut the habitation electrics when the engine is running, my question is: "is it possible that this is via a voltage sensing relay (rather than a traditional D+) that then sends a signal to tell the other relay to turn off the habitation electrics"?? if this is the set up is it possible that the "load" terminal is supplying too many volts and confusing the habitation relay into thinking the engine is running.

Martin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's my understanding the solar controller 'load' terminals are only live when the panel is not producing.... IE.. At Night.
It's a basic automatic switch to power low current items from the hab battery.
It's a low current connection, usually around 2 amps, for powering an awning light, night light etc... Not for charging the engine battery.

Remove the load positive from the controller and see if the hab electrics begin working.
May take a short while.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It's my understanding the solar controller 'load' terminals are only live when the panel is not producing.... IE.. At Night.
It's a basic automatic switch to power low current items from the hab battery.
It's a low current connection, usually around 2 amps, for powering an awning light, night light etc... Not for charging the engine battery.

Remove the load positive from the controller and see if the hab electrics begin working.
May take a short while.
They are working now on a bridging wire but cant check it now as somebody has fitted a new relay and it only has normal open 87 terminals and I think it needs 87a normally closed to work, the owner says these problems have only started after the solar regulator fitting so it all points to that I am just trying to understand what is happening.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back