Charging E-bike Battery in the MH (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Just for interest....

I have a 36v, 15ah battery for my e-bike. After a 10 mile run I still had 3/4 battery left so thought I would give it a charge in the MH. I turned the inverter on and plugged it in.

My volt meter showed 12.8v at 10am.

I came back at 14:00 and the e-bike battery was charged.

Because it was a bright day my voltmeter also showed the battery was at 13.4v thanks to the solar panel!

So the battery was charged for free from the sun....can't get greener than that.

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
The ( Bosch ) batteries charge a lot better on the standard charger than the quick chargers when powering from the Hab batteries too.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Just for interest....

I have a 36v, 15ah battery for my e-bike. After a 10 mile run I still had 3/4 battery left so thought I would give it a charge in the MH. I turned the inverter on and plugged it in.

My volt meter showed 12.8v at 10am.

I came back at 14:00 and the e-bike battery was charged.

Because it was a bright day my voltmeter also showed the battery was at 13.4v thanks to the solar panel!

So the battery was charged for free from the sun....can't get greener than that.
You can get a cable with built in 12v to 24v converter allowing you to plug into a cigar lighter socket to charge your battery at 1-2 Amp without the Inverter. I have one for Gel type batteries. I guess your 36v bike is Lithium, but may be worth looking into. You will be losing quite a lot of efficiency with the inverter, though clearly works well and very green ( unless you consider the energy and chemicals and exploitation used in the extraction of the lithium etc!?)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
So an inverters not necessary then? Can you charge the Bosch batteries too without an inverter?

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan

Hi Neil
I'd be a bit careful with the 13.4V reading.
The 13.4V is "charging" and not necessarily "charged".
You would only really be able to estimate the battery charge state by disconnecting the solar (and all other loads), waiting a while, then taking a reading

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So an inverters not necessary then? Can you charge the Bosch batteries too without an inverter?
Bosch sell a 12v charger it's not cheap £150, also takes twice as long to charge the battery a 400 watt battery takes 5-6 hours to charge from flat.

Last edited:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I have looked on eBay since my earlier post, and cannot see anything like the cable that I was given when I bought my 24v Gel batteries . I am now concerned that this may not actually work! I’m wondering if it was designed as a 24v to 24v charger ( ie to charge 24v eBike batteriesfrom a 24v truck. When I get a chance I will investigate. EBay do have some that have something that looks like a transformer between the two plugs at around £40, but that is probably as inefficient as an inverter

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Neil
I'd be a bit careful with the 13.4V reading.
The 13.4V is "charging" and not necessarily "charged".
You would only really be able to estimate the battery charge state by disconnecting the solar (and all other loads), waiting a while, then taking a reading
Correct (y) but it also highlights the advantage of having two solar regulators if you have more than one panel, as long as you have a read out of the amps each one is putting in you get a good idea of the state of charge of the batteries when the demand for amps drops and one of the controllers stops inputing, that's all I use anyway.

Martin

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Bosch sell a 12v charger it's not cheap £150, also takes twice as long to charge the battery a 400 watt battery takes 5-6 hours to charge from flat.
I still think these chargers could be worthwhile as although they take a while to charge we rarely drain the bike batteries we would keep them topped up all the time as not restricted to when on EHU.

Also alot cheaper and simpler than a inverter. Shame the other battery suppliers do not offer a 12v option.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I still think these chargers could be worthwhile as although they take a while to charge we rarely drain the bike batteries we would keep them topped up all the time as not restricted to when on EHU.

Also alot cheaper and simpler than a inverter. Shame the other battery suppliers do not offer a 12v option.
But an inverter is useful for other things although charging the bikes is our main use also use it for the washing machine but not much else. Useful on our last trip when my 12v laptop charger failed.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
But an inverter is useful for other things although charging the bikes is our main use also use it for the washing machine but not much else. Useful on our last trip when my 12v laptop charger failed.
Completely agree, we had an inverter and more batteries to support it, but over time we used it less and less till at the end it was just used for charging bike batteries. Current van not put it in just got bigger bike batteries ?

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
It's been discontinued.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back