Charge controller - remote? (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I have the older version of this , there is an optional wall mounted display that plugs into controller.
Looking at the price I think it would be cheaper to buy just the bits rather than a complete kit but I may be wrong ? Just bought a 100 watt panel for £86 and the mounts were £20 , connectors and cable dirt cheap . Tracer 1215 £85 on ebay !

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Hi, looking to get this kit http://www.sunstore.co.uk/product/120w-12v-mppt-solar-battery-charger-vehicle-kit/

120w MPPT solar kit.

Does anyone know what the Charge controller, 10A Ep Solar Tracer 1215BN is like?

Does it have a display showing any details for the charge etc.

Cheers
Marco

Yes - the Tracer is a very good controller and as you say that one is the 10amp one - there are also 20,30, and 40 amp units. The optional remote meter/ interface unit where you can change your controllers parameters such as type of battery and charge regime is the MT 50 costing I think £24 flush mounted or surface mounted with back box included and very long plug in connection cable to the controller.

You will be able to read a host of information on the MT50 which has many menu.It also has a timer control for the auxiliary 12v output on your controller.

You will find them on Photonic Universe web site :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
moggyg

moggyg

Free Member
Sep 22, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze 2007
Exp
newbie - again
Thanks for all the info, I have gone for the kit(lazy) and ordered the MT50 also.

Now for the youtube search to install. Watch this space!

Ciao
Marco

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks for all the info, I have gone for the kit(lazy) and ordered the MT50 also.

Now for the youtube search to install. Watch this space!

Ciao
Marco

That's ok - however I would have gone for a CIGS 3mm self adhesive 120 watt panel https://mipvsolarpanels.co.uk/

I've got a discount code for them too! Panel weighs about 3kg 4 times lighter than monocrystaline frame type and 25% more energy yield in hotter climates.

Mar 21, 2015
notts
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Hi @Freespirit1
I've been looking at the 3 x 55w kit but using my own votronic mppt 250 controller
Do you fancy sharing that discount code ?;)

Best regards
Antique

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Bit late now but I would have gone for one that also charges the engine battery. Ours does, and it means we can use the van's radio without flattening the battery.

OP
OP
moggyg

moggyg

Free Member
Sep 22, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze 2007
Exp
newbie - again
Bit late now but I would have gone for one that also charges the engine battery. Ours does, and it means we can use the van's radio without flattening the battery.
Good idea, for the next van.

Cheers

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A lot of newer vans have a built in b2b charger which means you only need to charge the habitation batteries with the solar to also trickle charge the vehicle battery :)

That is how the vehicle battery is charged on EHU - that is via the habitation battery being charged.

OP
OP
moggyg

moggyg

Free Member
Sep 22, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze 2007
Exp
newbie - again
If you want to do that now - you could fit a simple b2b costing about £24 I believe? About 2amp trickle charge.
And does it matter about the distance to the cab battery? Its under passenger seat and leisure battery is under bench in rear lounge?

Cheers
Marco

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
And does it matter about the distance to the cab battery? Its under passenger seat and leisure battery is under bench in rear lounge?

Cheers
Marco

Well - as your only going to be trickle charging at about 2amp you could use a 2 core 1.5 mm cable even better a 2.5mm cable but the volt drop will be minimal. A bit of 2 or 3 core domestic flexible cable 2.5 mm ideal.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Well - as your only going to be trickle charging at about 2amp you could use a 2 core 1.5 mm cable even better a 2.5mm cable but the volt drop will be minimal. A bit of 2 or 3 core domestic flexible cable 2.5 mm ideal.
Our cable to the engine battery is 0.5mm flex. Not ideal but the battery is only 2m away, the reason is I put the cable in as the voltage sensor for the BM2 battery monitor and just spliced into that when I fitted the solar regulator. Works ok but i would fit 1.5 flex if redoing it.

OP
OP
moggyg

moggyg

Free Member
Sep 22, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze 2007
Exp
newbie - again
Thanks. I have bought the Votronic Battery Master has arrived. It has a single terminal for leisure battery and a single terminal for starter battery so do I just need a single core 2.5mm cable?

I'm going to place it close to the leisure battery in rear lounge and run cable through to starter battery in cab, this sound OK?

Cheers
Marco

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
No. You need flex. Single core may break with all the vibration.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
No. You need flex. Single core may break with all the vibration.

I think @moggyg just means one conductor which should as you say be a multi-stranded cable.

I've just looked at the Votrinic unit and it has just got two positive terminals for the leisure and starter batteries - the connection diagram supplied with it should presumably show that the return (negative) is via the vehicle earth.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
something like this? <Broken link removed>

Marco

Yes, but it doesn't need to be heat resistant. Any 'old flex' will do. You may be able to get some from a store (B&Q?) by the metre if you haven't got any lying around. You'll only need two core.

OP
OP
moggyg

moggyg

Free Member
Sep 22, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze 2007
Exp
newbie - again
I think @moggyg
- the connection diagram supplied with it should presumably show that the return (negative) is via the vehicle earth.

@Freespirit1 Yes I was assuming just one single cable from leisure positive to votronic and a single cable from votronic to starter battery positive. I just don't know the terminology (single core? .... Two core.... ?). The instructions show that both batteries should share the same earth which I assume is the vehicle chassis?

Cheers again
Marco

OP
OP
moggyg

moggyg

Free Member
Sep 22, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze 2007
Exp
newbie - again
OK going to attempt this job next weekend (votronic battery master install). Will this cable do? . I will also order terminal connectors for the batteries.

2.5mm diam, 15m long, brown.

We head for Europe 2nd Jan and trying to get the van totally ready.

Give notice at work....done!
buy van.....you bet!
fit solar panel....check!
fit gasit....yup!
tell children.....oops!!!

Marco

Last edited:

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@Freespirit1 Yes I was assuming just one single cable from leisure positive to votronic and a single cable from votronic to starter battery positive. I just don't know the terminology (single core? .... Two core.... ?). The instructions show that both batteries should share the same earth which I assume is the vehicle chassis?

Cheers again
Marco

Yes - all good there :) Happy and safe travels!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think that conduit cables will be too stiff. I suggest something like this (hope the link works).
I reckon you'd be fine with 1mm flex, actually. Do the instructions make any recommendation? I assume that the max current will be less than 10A.

OP
OP
moggyg

moggyg

Free Member
Sep 22, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze 2007
Exp
newbie - again
I think that conduit cables will be too stiff. I suggest something like this (hope the link works).
I reckon you'd be fine with 1mm flex, actually. Do the instructions make any recommendation? I assume that the max current will be less than 10A.
@rogher
It says 1.5mm to 2.5mm and max is 3A. What do you mean too stiff? Wont be able to shape round van to get from A to B?

Marco

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I expect conduit wire to be made of a few thick strands of copper, whereas flex has many thinner wires inside. The total cross sectional area of each wire is the figure referred to, so a "1.5mm" flex will carry the same amount of current as any other type of "1.5mm" cable because they are the same thickness. Conduit cable is fixed within conduit, unmoved and not shaken about. Flex (short for flexible) is designed to accommodate movement, so that's why it should be used here. It should still be fixed with cable ties, to prevent undue movement, though.
I said "1.5mm" in quotes because we've all become rather sloppy in defining units and you may recognise that mm is not a unit of measure for area. It ought to be 1.5 mm2 (superscript 2, if I could make it do that) or 1.5 "square millimetres".
From what you've said 1.5mm2 or thicker (lighting) flex should be fine for what you need.
Hope it all goes well for you.

OP
OP
moggyg

moggyg

Free Member
Sep 22, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze 2007
Exp
newbie - again
No problem. I'll get some ordered. I had ordered the other stuff but can make use of it somehow..... Perfect for a clothes line!

OP
OP
moggyg

moggyg

Free Member
Sep 22, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze 2007
Exp
newbie - again
Votronic Battery Master now installed. 2.5mm2 cable used, @Freespirit1 ;), and very simple to install. Positive from leisure battery to "battery master" and positive from cab battery to "battery master". When the "battery master" detects a lower voltage in the cab battery it trickle charges it from the leisure battery (never the other way around).

Hardest part was feeding the small cable behind the bathroom to keep it neat. 45mins and only on the last attemp did I see the cable peeking out from the other side....yah!

Ciao
Marco

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Well done and thanks for the feedback.
I think you were lucky to get the wires fed through so easily. I've spent many an hour trying to poke wires where they were unwilling to go.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back