Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Lower Froyle, Alton, Hampshire Surrey borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
Looking to cross from South East early in new year. We usually use Tunnel but not sure the cheapest way to book. Have previously booked direct but have recently been told that there are cheaper ways. Perhaps through clubs ? Anyone have any idea's.
Same for ferries from Southampton round to Dover ??
Norm

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We use Tesco Club Card points - value 3 to 1. £30 of club cards points = £90 off the tunnel price.

Does that work for return journeys or only outbound from Folkestone?

I'm looking at using Tesco for all petrol in future to build up the clubcard points for a tunnel trip - we don't normally shop in the store.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Looking to cross from South East early in new year. We usually use Tunnel but not sure the cheapest way to book. Have previously booked direct but have recently been told that there are cheaper ways.

It's sometimes cheaper to book two singles with two different companies (ie P&O and DFDS) than it is to book a return with one company.

Early morning and weekday crossings are usually cheaper than middle of the day and weekends. I usually manage to pay just short of a £100 for a Dover-Calais or Dover-Dunkirk return trip in a 7m long MH.

OP
OP
Norm

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
Sure !! Well done guys. To clarify. Departing UK between Southampton & Dover.
Booking tunnel direct = £198. Southampton to Caern - £430. Seems a no brainer if C&MC can do 19% off tunnel ?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

I'm looking at using Tesco for all petrol in future to build up the clubcard points for a tunnel trip - we don't normally shop in the store.

Yup, we have used them for several out and back trip over the years and did an out only in September.

Don't shop much at Tesco's, only odds and sods or to use money off vouchers. We build up points using a Tesco credit card for most day to day purchases with retailers and fuel, again not usually a Tesco stations.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I always find P&O the cheapest for Dover Calais but Newhaven Dieppe is an excellent alternative unless you want eastern France or are intending to turn left at Calais. Don't forget, discount for over 60's if you book by phone for Dieppe. Get the morning crossing out to avoid necessity for a cabin. You can stay overnight at Newhaven the night before. Two good Aires in Dieppe.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you plan on going abroad more than once then you could consider sharing a Eurotunnel Frequent Traveller account with another funster as that make the tunnel crossings a lot cheaper (£55 each way).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Yes it works for a return trip but NOT a single only from Calais.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
With regards to tunnel and tesco vouchers you can only book using vouchers traveling from UK, but it makes no difference as you only get it once, we book a single going out with vouchers which allows us to be flexible about returning as it easy to book online whilst in Europe for your return.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985

You have to book the return at same time as outbound. We have found that if you don't use peak days they will let you use different return to that booked but there may be a bit of a price difference. If you phone Euro tunnel sales office they are usually very helpful.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979

Hi @magicsurfbus,
I use a Tesco credit card for allmy purchases ,& points mount up reasonably quickly & buy my diesel on that card as well.
55 points covers my single trip £165. I have to pay for our dog separately as they don't accept tesco points for that.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We always book Eurotunnel with Tesco as a return trip - we've usually got a good idea of when we want to return. But it's very easy to change the return trip - a quick phone call is all - but if the ticket price has increased you'll be asked to pay the difference. We've noticed the price always goes up the closer you get to crossing date so it's worth booking as early as you can.

Eurotunnel is always more expensive than the Dover-Calais etc. ferries (except maybe on the trip-sharing deal). Remember you can't use Tesco vouchers to pay the extra for your pet(s).

Having one of the largest Tesco 3 miles away makes it a no-brainer for shopping, fuel etc. although we get more points by using their credit cards and paying it off in full each month.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My reason for asking about Tesco Card funded trips is not so much MH related as business related. I like buying up stock at French flea markets but the travel/accommodation costs will eat into my profits if don't combine the buying with our MH holidays. I'm looking at what the cheapest options are for a weekend buying trip with a van to the big events in Lille or Amiens. I could sleep in the van if necessary, or take a small tent. I reckon petrol would be about £90 total, so no channel crossing costs would be a big plus.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just remember you have to book a "Tesco" crossing at least 14 days before travel. Apart from that can't see why your proposal shouldn't work @magicsurfbus

OP
OP
Norm

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
If it's a day trip you are after you could place an order with Majestic Calais. In return they will provide a free eurotunnel ticket. I use it as a booze run twice each year. Buy enough and you can get a contribution toward fuel cost as well !!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My reason for asking about Tesco Card funded trips is not so much MH related as business related. I like buying up stock at French flea markets but the travel/accommodation costs will eat into my profits if don't combine the buying with our MH holidays. I'm looking at what the cheapest options are for a weekend buying trip with a van to the big events in Lille or Amiens. I could sleep in the van if necessary, or take a small tent. I reckon petrol would be about £90 total, so no channel crossing costs would be a big plus.
I understand what you're saying but there is still a cost - if you don't use the Tesco points towards 'deals' vouchers for Eurotunnel you can spend them in store instead (or for other things you want for which you can exchange them for deals). If you go across a few times you'll find that the Frequent Traveller will probably work out better value (yes I did do a 'value' calculation before deciding to change to Frequent Traveller tickets!).

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I have found that booking the tunnel via the Caravan & Motorhome Club (provided your a member) to offer about a 15% saving on the price being quoted on the Eurotunnel website. Only downside is any changes need to be made via the CMC direct. If you book on the official tunnel website we have found they will normally change the inflexible tickets without charge. So, saving to be made but at the cost of a little flexibility. Have you looked at the Frequent Traveller offers. You would need to purchase 10 single crossings in one year but at a much discounted rate. You could also share with another person and split the cost and trips in half.

Jul 21, 2015
Lymm, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Toleno r
Exp
Since Oct 2014
we are on 0420 train Tues 2nd Jan £82 hopefully no delays then a good drive south seems good value to me.We don't do return as we don't plan that far in advance at our age!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back