Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Hi
Does anyone know when the caravan and camping club THS - Temporary Holiday Sites- , start taking bookings from emails in January ?
Thank you

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Not many need booking and if it does its up to individual DA's when and how you book. Download the out and about app and also join the All DA Facebook pages.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bailey 15
Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Thanks
Done all that for years but it always says
‘Advanced Booking Essential’

IMG_1872.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Normally you just turn up, they asked bookings during the Covid years.

Best to use the app to find them but be aware some get left on from the previous year so check the dates. We found out the hard way.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We use a lot of THS,mostly,in Norfolk, to take the grandchildren away .
Last year a lot of Norfolk THS were cancelled,and this year there is hardly any
listed at all In Norfolk.
Hopefully they will add some as the year goes on,or I may as well cancel my membership.

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
I used a lot of them last year and never booked. It's a first come first served type thing. I have contacted the organisers prior to setting off to make sure there's spaces available. Check out the 'out and about' section on your CCC app for more details of individual meets etc.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hopefully they will add some as the year goes on,or I may as well cancel my membership.

Somewhere ... There is a thread on this subject, it's something to do with the local councils and asking for some sort of environmental certificate.. Can't recall the exact details but it seems to effect your area more than others, hence all the cancellations.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
You are spot on. When we were at Peel School THS in Wells next the sea last year,one of the
Wardens/Marshalls told me that,and he said hopefully would be better next year(2024)
Obviously not going to be.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
They will be there soon once North Norfolk Council decide what mitigation payment they want where sites are in the area of special scientific interest, that's why they were cancelled last yearvas Council said they wanted payment but didn't know how much so C&CC pulled all meets. Council weren't bothered till business and MP got involved as they lost a lot of income but C&CC say they have nearly agreed the amount and mechanism of how to collect.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
They will be there soon once North Norfolk Council decide what mitigation payment they want where sites are in the area of special scientific interest, that's why they were cancelled last yearvas Council said they wanted payment but didn't know how much so C&CC pulled all meets. Council weren't bothered till business and MP got involved as they lost a lot of income but C&CC say they have nearly agreed the amount and mechanism of how to collect.

So Norfolk council is being run like the mayor runs Londons ULEZ.
As long as you pay a fee f#@k the environment :rolleyes:

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010

That’s all well and good,and after a quick read through it tells you who they are claiming payment off, and how to pay,but not what they are going to do with the monies raised to
help the environment.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
That’s all well and good,and after a quick read through it tells you who they are claiming payment off, and how to pay,but not what they are going to do with the monies raised to
help the environment.
There's probably more if you search, also try natural England as they set the rules.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
No sign of a solution for Norfolk this year. Government have told councils to block any rally or THS adjacent to a SSSI or close to a protected water source. We have the same issue from the New Forest (and Solent basin) all across Dorset (Poole harbour)

The councils have been told it can be done after an environmental survey for each site and payment per unit night to the council to offset any environmental issues. Norfolk for instance is in big trouble because of all the rivers and broads. Problem is the councils don't know how much to charge and who will collect the charge or even how it must be used. One of our first THS sites blocked was in New Milton at a school. The income from the 28 days we were there each year made a lot of money for the school to maintain the site. The council told us ALL waste water had to be tankered away and treated with documented evidence. The site is on mains drainage so ridiculous. Plus they wanted somewhere around £8 per night per unit payable up front for the entire 28 days at maximum usage. So 100+ pitches at £8 per night times 28. So I make that £22400 to the council

That is what ALL the clubs are up against. Despite holding exemption certificates the clubs are being blocked from holding rallies in many areas. I am the sites officer locally and a member of the region council. Believe me, the clubs are taking this very seriously and have spent a king's ransom on lawyers.

On the other side we have local businesses and parish councils desperate to get us back as those rallies throughout the summer make a huge difference in takings at local shops, cafes and a multitude of other businesses. Some have already closed down due to the drop in turnover

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
The council told us ALL waste water had to be tankered away and treated with documented evidence. The site is on mains drainage so ridiculous. Plus they wanted somewhere around £8 per night per unit payable up front for the entire 28 days at maximum usage. So 100+ pitches at £8 per night times 28. So I make that £22400 to the council.

So that bares up my point, as long as we pay sod the environment’just like Khans ULEZ

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
So that bares up my point, as long as we pay sod the environment’just like Khans ULEZ
Exactly the point I raised at director level at HQ. We have a very long email and letter trail with the local councils. None of them want to deal with the issue as they don't know what to charge or who can spend it on what. They are angry with Natural England and they just point to the legislation that the government have foisted on them to enhance green credentials. We can even prove that we have a proven track record going back decades with our members volunteering to work on environmental projects. As a matter of respect, we always leave a site in better condition than when we arrived.

The BS that keeps getting trotted out is Nitrate pollution from grey water runoff. Really? how about all the cows and horses using the land as a toilet 24/7?

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Exactly the point I raised at director level at HQ. We have a very long email and letter trail with the local councils. None of them want to deal with the issue as they don't know what to charge or who can spend it on what. They are angry with Natural England and they just point to the legislation that the government have foisted on them to enhance green credentials. We can even prove that we have a proven track record going back decades with our members volunteering to work on environmental projects. As a matter of respect, we always leave a site in better condition than when we arrived.

The BS that keeps getting trotted out is Nitrate pollution from grey water runoff. Really? how about all the cows and horses using the land as a toilet 24/7?
I just can't see how it applies when you are using a site with mains drainage. Yes, makes sense for a campsite like at a music festival where it's all not on mains, but for a school site with mains water and drainage, it's massively massively overstating their position.

A good "club" organisation would be lobbying on this point alone along with the local water board to point these points out.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Thanks
Done all that for years but it always says
‘Advanced Booking Essential’
This usually indicates that that particular THS is very popular and fills up fast.
Perhaps try ringing the telephone number listed or send a text?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
... but there are dozens available all over the country...
There haven't been any in Skegness for the last couple of years, the school academy one was fantastic. The last straw was when I was selecting alternatives last year and they were either also cancelled or booked up.. Oh we did manage 1 night at one near York on the motorcycles (my avatar photo)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back