Caxton card. (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
is it still the best ?

Binned our PO Travel money card so need a new one ready for France in August .

Caxton seemed the best from what I've read here. Is that still the case ?

Ta.

toledo

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Life Member
get a better rate with revolut than caxton

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have Caxton cards but don't like them. One of the main reasons we got it was for fuel but it's not suitable in an automated booth. Will be swapping to Revolute or Monzo shortly.

Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
Does Caxton have an app similar to Revolut?

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We have Caxton cards but don't like them. One of the main reasons we got it was for fuel but it's not suitable in an automated booth. Will be swapping to Revolute or Monzo shortly.
I've not had a problem using mine in an automated booth.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I've not had a problem using mine in an automated booth.
You are either very lucky or have one big bank balance in Caxton that you don't notice the holding charge they also take for a few weeks.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Have been using FairFX for nearly 10 years including nearly 3 years living in Portugal and have found it fine. Occasional problems when you get machines that don't like foreign cards but otherwise fine. You need at least 100 euros plus on your card for automated fuel machines as they take a 100 euro deposit. For some weird reason they al do this. Like most low cost operations no weekend support but on the one occasion I needed it response was excellent.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
You are either very lucky or have one big bank balance in Caxton that you don't notice the holding charge they also take for a few weeks.
I must have been lucky on numerous occasions then. I only have a balance that I think will be appropriate for my trip.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I must have been lucky on numerous occasions then. I only have a balance that I think will be appropriate for my trip.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had various ones and dumped FairFX due to their charges so now have Revolut and Caxton as a back-up.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

They won't work in automated booths either. No currency or pre paid type cards will.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Nick .n
They won't work in automated booths either. No currency or pre paid type cards will.
Nick.not quite sure what you're saying as my Caxton card has been extensively used in automated fuel stations with no issues at all. Roy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nick .n
Nick.not quite sure what you're saying as my Caxton card has been extensively used in automated fuel stations with no issues at all. Roy

You're lucky then. I've given up trying to use any of them for any automated transaction.

It's not a Caxton specific thing, all pre paid type cards are notorious for not working on automated transactions. Toll booths are another place that hate them.

I believe it's something to do with the way they preauthorise that type of card. It might be, as someone suggested earlier that they preauthorise and ring fence such a large amount that many people just don't keep that big a balance on their card so the transaction won't authorise.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
After filling up with diesel at Cite Europe on my way to Pau a shadow of -€130.00 was applied to my Caxton account (plus the cost of the fuel). I'm not sure if this is the filling station company or their bank that apply this. This took 17 days before the funds were returned to my account. It hasn't happened since. I've used my Caxton card frequently for fuel at 24 hour automated filling stations including this morning without problems. Admittedly there is always in excess of a couple of hundred euros on the card to accomodate such occurrences.

I also have a FairFx card which I load up with €500.00 and consider it a 'get me home' backup plan. They charge €1.50 per transaction so when I get to Calais I withdraw €490.00 in one transaction and buy wine for the long cold winter;)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
On the martin lewis site it says the revolut card takes up to 9 days to arrive. If you go fir it dont forget that you specifically have to request the card via the app, its not automatically sent. The only downside of revolut is that you can only withdraw €200 euros fee free per month but the fee for more is 2% . A few of us are trying out Monzo but not sure yet how it will compare.

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
On the martin lewis site it says the revolut card takes up to 9 days to arrive. If you go fir it dont forget that you specifically have to request the card via the app, its not automatically sent. The only downside of revolut is that you can only withdraw €200 euros fee free per month but the fee for more is 2% . A few of us are trying out Monzo but not sure yet how it will compare.

Yes but if you have one and your wife has one that is €400 in cash you can withdraw and just use the card to pay for anything else.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've used Caxton for a few years now,I use the app too but sometimes it doesn top up as it should and I've had to email them, might look at something different for this winter.
I try to top up but it says I've gone over the limit and it's the first time I've used it for day,maybe weeks,they are most aplogetic when I email them and it's topped up imediately but sometimes it Has let me down that way as I need money straight away but couldn't get it from the ATM.

Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
How much cash from an ATM can you withdraw FOC with a Caxton card and with a Monzo card. With Revolut it's £200 per calendar month then 2%

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back