Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
NOTE:- This HAS to be regarded as a personal view. As I have, as stated before, been out of the loop for many years, and things / Regulations change.

There WAS no requirement to inspect vessels used on Vehicles. Unless they dispensed Liquid to a gasifier. The onus was on the "owner" to maintain it in good condition. (Calor and similar are "owned" by the supplying company) Common sense dictates that any damage (impact etc) should require a thorough examination by a "competent" person, Chargeable and not cheap. Coating the exterior with Paint? OK, putting "underseal" on would trigger a warning (for me) as it can (and does) often cover a Multitude of sins. and if not applied properly can encourage corrosion. I would have asked for it`s complete removal before examination. Internal examination of vessels (any, regardless of size) requires a "Gas Free" condition and would be chargeable, and again not cheap, Hence the advice that If in doubt of the vessels condition, the the most likely cost effective method is renewal.

Testing regimes (new) are dependant upon age and where manufactured. The European standards are size dependant, small ones are usually "batch tested" (see earlier post). Large ones are inspected during construction. And Hydraulic tested individually. Stamped and dated. and in my day, with a requirement of retest every 10 years. The same applied to Road tankers, (where incidentally, the "5 wheel" pin was replaced every 5 years).
The US equivalent Codes are (where) ASME.

The Most dangerous condition for a Propane (or similar) vessel, is if exposed to Flame impingement. Above 300degC, the steel degrades rapidly, a "Bulge" (think
Haemorrhoid) forms which can then Fail catastrophically. Propane expands when released 270 times its contained volume, the ensuing explosive conflagration is called a BLEVE (boiling liquid expanding vapour explosion) and can have disastrous consequences.

If anyone is interested there is a Canadian Website, which gives an insight into the cause and effect:- https://dickatlee.com/issues/environment/tank/canadian_bleve_text.pdf

In many respects the stuff of nightmares!.

I have started to review the Pressure Equipment Directive. And first indications that "Fixed" LPG vessels ARE required to be examined seem to be confirmed. However it is a VERY long and involved document, which appeared AFTER I had long left the "industry". And will bear further examination and review to confirm (or not) that fact.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The Most dangerous condition for a Propane (or similar) vessel, is if exposed to Flame impingement. Above 300degC, the steel degrades rapidly, a "Bulge" (think
Haemorrhoid) forms which can then Fail catastrophically.
Seen training videos of BLEVEs and the subsequent devastation, but fortunately :pray:I never had to attend one. :hot:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
We used to store our van next door to an LPG supplier who also did various other gases and they also tested all manner of tanks and bottles ,some days there were dozens of pallets of failed units which were destined for the scrap yard .I was often blocked in as they stored them in the road outside when there was a collection due.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Seen training videos of BLEVEs and the subsequent devastation, but fortunately :pray:I never had to attend one. :hot:

Cheers,

Jock. :)
was that the one in Spain? wiped a whole village out. remember it well.
Ha Ha, just realised how old this thread is!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back