Carthago C-Compactline I-138 - issues etc (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
How about the BIG dealer in the wider South West who told us that they couldn't check the spare tyre as it wasn't fitted BUT gave us a glowing damp check. (Including under the bed, WHERE WE HAD PUT THE SPARE WHEEL???)
Minxy Girl You have a PM

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
Is that the one which says 'deposit taken'? If so, is that you?

<Broken link removed>
Just to confirm, I have put down a fully refundable deposit. If in any way whatsoever I do not want it it will be refunded.

It is supposed to be our "forever van". I am 62 and Julie somewhat younger. So it will have to last a while. Therefore I am quite keen to get it right. For instance if the new engine, with ad blue, is cleaner will that be an advantage in the future?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
How about the BIG dealer in the wider South West who told us that they couldn't check the spare tyre as it wasn't fitted BUT gave us a glowing damp check. (Including under the bed, WHERE WE HAD PUT THE SPARE WHEEL???)
Minxy Girl You have a PM
Highbridge Caravans presumably? :unsure:

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Just to confirm, I have put down a fully refundable deposit. If in any way whatsoever I do not want it it will be refunded.

It is supposed to be our "forever van". I am 62 and Julie somewhat younger. So it will have to last a while. Therefore I am quite keen to get it right. For instance if the new engine, with ad blue, is cleaner will that be an advantage in the future?
You can't get a new ducato without adblue now for the emissions, one thing I would add if you do a lot of sites ie plug in I would recommend the Truma 6E, with the functionality of electric heating.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

With the 150 engine & Comfomatic fairly certain it won't be ad blue, the latest engines are with ad blue are 140, 160 &180hp with the 9 speed box.

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
With the 150 engine & Comfomatic fairly certain it won't be ad blue, the latest engines are with ad blue are 140, 160 &180hp with the 9 speed box.
Yes, the one I'm looking at doesn't have the ad blue, just not sure if that matters.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Travelworld
There's a thread on the forum about funsters' experiences of Travel World ... might be worth hunting it out and having a read so you are forearmed.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Highbridge is the only official Hymer dealer in the south-west, so there we are... ;)

I don't have (and never had) a Hymer? So therefore your comment is without logic.
And, before you come back and say that Burstner is owned by Erwin Hymer Industries,
when I say that I am referring to the Brand, not the owner.

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have 2 reservations. It is a long way from where I live and it has the comformatic gearbox, I keep being told that the new auto gearbox is much better.
We have an August 2019 Carthago i143 and are absolutely delighted with it. One of the last without AdBlue. It has a Comformatic gearbox and it is good to drive. Previous motorhome was a Hymer with a Mercedes torque converter auto and I was a little concerned I might miss it, I don’t. The Comformatic is a little different to drive but I soon got used to it and things like downhill engine braking are a distinct improvement. People say the new auto is better but that does not mean the Comformatic was bad.
the comformattic is not problematic BUT if you do get problems it can be a nightmare (especially out of warranty) , I speak through experience
I have no doubt this is true but having had a torque converter auto fail on one of my cars it is fair to say that is also a nightmare and an exceedingly expensive one.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I have no doubt this is true but having had a torque converter auto fail on one of my cars it is fair to say that is also a nightmare and an exceedingly expensive one.

I’ve had 2 comformattic & now the new auto , All new & under warranty, My second comformattic repair took 8 weeks to fix ( still not sure it was fixed properly) , the biggest problems was nobody seemed to be trained to repair them & the rest done everything in their power to avoid getting involved , I’m sure it would be the same with the new box as well

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I’ve had 2 comformattic & now the new auto , All new & under warranty, My second comformattic repair took 8 weeks to fix ( still not sure it was fixed properly) , the biggest problems was nobody seemed to be trained to repair them & the rest done everything in their power to avoid getting involved , I’m sure it would be the same with the new box as well
The comfort you can take from the "new" ZF box is its not new but just new to Fiat the ZF auto is used in many other brands and is a well proven gearbox, only thing we need to worry about is how well Fiat have integrated it to their engine 🤞

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
The comfort you can take from the "new" ZF box is its not new but just new to Fiat the ZF auto is used in many other brands and is a well proven gearbox, only thing we need to worry about is how well Fiat have integrated it to their engine 🤞
I had researched this info before I bought it & had the same thoughts as you 👍

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I had researched this info before I bought it & had the same thoughts as you 👍
So far so good been superb so far, seemless changes even though I have only managed 1800 miles since getting it in July 😢
Mind you we had a comfortmatic previously with no problems in the 7 years 30000 miles of ownership and loved that to.

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well, looks like I might be buying the 141. Couple of questions.
The plate inside the engine bay clearly shows 3650 kg max weight. Am told the correct max weight is 3.5t as that is what is on the documentation.
May not be too important as I am looking to uprate to 3850 kg. Have been quoted £350 plus VAT and 8 hours labour totaling over £1200 for rear semi air. Does this seem reasonable?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The plate inside the engine bay clearly shows 3650 kg max weight. Am told the correct max weight is 3.5t as that is what is on the documentation.
May not be too important as I am looking to uprate to 3850 kg. Have been quoted £350 plus VAT and 8 hours labour totaling over £1200 for rear semi air. Does this seem reasonable?
The plate in the engine bay is possibly the Fiat one before Carthago made their modifications. The final Carthago plate on my i143LE is by the passenger door, half hidden by some flooring. When I bought my i143 I understood the i141 and i143 could be upgraded from 3500KG to 3850KG without further modification and the i138 from 3500KG to 3700KG. It might be worth checking with a Carthago dealer whether the rear air suspension is needed on the Alko (not Fiat) chassis for the upgrade to 3850KG. When you find the Carthago plate I think you will find the front axle rated at 1850KG and the rear at 2000KG, adding up to 3850KG. I believe the 3500KG is in effect a down plating from the maximum achievable.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That plate with be the Fiat one, you need to check the Carthago one which is just inside the passenger door on the left near the floor, that's likely to be 3500kg in which case that's what it is likely to be.

Not sure who you've got doing the semi-air but check what system is being fitted as they are not all the same, you can't fit the normal system for a Fiat chassis, it has to be specifically for an Alko one, also check reviews of the installer too.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The plate in the engine bay is possibly the Fiat one before Carthago made their modifications. The final Carthago plate on my i143LE is by the passenger door, half hidden by some flooring. When I bought my i143 I understood the i141 and i143 could be upgraded from 3500KG to 3850KG without further modification and the i138 from 3500KG to 3700KG. It might be worth checking with a Carthago dealer whether the rear air suspension is needed on the Alko (not Fiat) chassis for the upgrade to 3850KG. When you find the Carthago plate I think you will find the front axle rated at 1850KG and the rear at 2000KG, adding up to 3850KG. I believe the 3500KG is in effect a down plating from the maximum achievable.
Yes they can be uprated to 3850kg without any mods BUT if won't be much help as it will still mean the rear axle is at 2000kg which is where the issue will be as I don't think it would be possible to keep to that with the longer version - we were very tight with our 138 even without the extra length and weight for the 141. It will be necessary to get the semi-air and then uprate to get the rear axle up to 2240kg to make it usable.

Oh, and tyres, the tyres need to be checked to make sure they are of a rating high enough for the extra capacity on the rear axle.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Yes they can be uprated to 3850kg without any mods BUT if won't be much help as it will still mean the rear axle is at 2000kg which is where the issue will be as I don't think it would be possible to keep to that with the longer version - we were very tight with our 138 even without the extra length and weight for the 141. It will be necessary to get the semi-air and then uprate to get the rear axle up to 2240kg to make it usable.

Oh, and tyres, the tyres need to be checked to make sure they are of a rating high enough for the extra capacity on the rear axle.
Good point about the rear axle loading. Do you have any recommendations about semi-air systems, not something I have previously thought about but having just got a 3 year extension on my C1 it is time to investigate.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Good point about the rear axle loading. Do you have any recommendations about semi-air systems, not something I have previously thought about but having just got a 3 year extension on my C1 it is time to investigate.
There are a few threads about semi-air and full-air systems on the forum so have a search for 'semi-air' and you should see quite a few.

We got the one from SAP as they were highly recommended and their system is well made (you need to check the quality and what you get as they are not all the same), we also got a discount for being funsters! :giggle: It still cost us £2,000 but they are all pricey due to the Alko chassis.

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
There are a few threads about semi-air and full-air systems on the forum so have a search for 'semi-air' and you should see quite a few.

We got the one from SAP as they were highly recommended and their system is well made (you need to check the quality and what you get as they are not all the same), we also got a discount for being funsters! :giggle: It still cost us £2,000 but they are all pricey due to the Alko chassis.
I'm talking to SAP later. Is the one you have basic or can you adjust height of the rear (we have a steep drive and this could be handy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back