LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
OK you good looking gals and guys,
My MH has carpets in the main hab area and although it has carpets in the bedroom and shower/toilet area they are removable to leave a wooden looking type floor which I like and is quite easy to maintain. Anything that is put on the carpets like rugs etc in the main living area and kitchen section starts to move the way of the carpet nap, it only takes a few steps before you have to drag it back as it’s curling up against the wall or cupboard, also being a light coloured carpet it’s soon gets dirty.
What I would like to do is have the main hab area and kitchen made like the bedroom and the other areas and then put small rugs down.
I live in Southampton and wondered if any of you good people know of a company near to me who could achieve this, even if they are not near me I could possibly travel although not to the ends of the earth.
Also does anyone know the potential cost of doing this? My MH is a Autotrail Cheyenne 840D although it's 8 metres I would only need the front half changing which is aprox 10ft length.
Many Thanks for your anticipated help in this matter.
Best Wishes Tony

TCG

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Doesn't your autotrail have a wood effect lino under your carpets, failing that a good carpet fitter would put you some quality lino down

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We removed the carpets and I relaid our floor with amtico vinyl strips.
We do have one of those turtle type mats as a runner that seems to cling to the vinyl ok.

Vinyl is just so easy to keep clean ( so I’m told by SWMBO :D )

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Doesn't your autotrail have a wood effect lino under your carpets, failing that a good carpet fitter would put you some quality lino down
Hi TCG
To be honest I haven’t looked but even if it did the carpet is stuck down and last year I had a repair done to a part of the hab area which was very spongy to say the least so they would of lifted the carpet and drilled into the floor to inject repair solution, and then stuck the carpet down again.

Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
We removed the carpets and I relaid our floor with amtico vinyl strips.
Hi Silver-Fox thanks for that, not sure I'd be able to do a decent enough job for me to lay these vinyl strips but it does look the ticket.
Best Wishes Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Hi Silver-Fox thanks for that, not sure I'd be able to do a decent enough job for me to lay these vinyl strips but it does look the ticket.
Best Wishes Tony

A good vinyl person should be able to complete the job in around a day.

If you do the prep work that would keep costs down.

I would say don’t scrimp on the vinyl, buy Amtico, Karndean or similar.
Very often you can get enough off eBay cheaper as it’s not a big area in a Moho.

The cuts are fiddly but ok if you take your time or get a pro in.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Amtico type vinyl strips a good idea, ask in shop for recommended fitter. Keep extra in case of repairs down the line.
I have rubber backed mats on top of vinyl and they don’t creep about but I have cut them to fit.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
The carpets in our van were loose-lay, so I took them out from new. Underneath is a fitted wood-effect vinyl floor covering. I went to our local carpet shop to see if they'd got any decent sized offcuts of sheet vinyl. Low and behold, we found some of a very very similar design to what is already fitted - cost £25. I then cut it to fit the central area of the van, where the heavy traffic is - used sharp scissors and it fits neatly, and blends well with the original vinyl floor, under the dining table for example - where I've just put a mat down, rather than try to fit another sheet of loose-lay vinyl.

Works a treat and we also have a rubber-backed door mat on top of the loose-lay vinyl, which doesn't move. Never have any worries about walking in mud or grit etc when camping.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Like I suspect many of you, my van has wood effect lino fitted by the converter across the whole of the blank floor, they then built the furniture on top of it. A shaped carpet was then fitted afterwards - which I've now thrown away, it was getting tatty.

I bought cheap rubber-backed mats on Ebay - £10 for a long thin runner, £7 for a matching doormat - which between 2 runners and 3 doormats fit the van's spaces almost perfectly. At that price I didn't think they'd last long, but they're proving to be surprisingly durable, grip the lino floor underneath well and trap loads of dirt and grit. I vacuum them regularly and once a year take them to a local laundrette and give them a wash - they come up like new.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Like I suspect many of you, my van has wood effect lino fitted by the converter across the whole of the blank floor, they then built the furniture on top of it.
Mine has removable carpets in the bedroom and toilet areas and then it looks like the builder laid the carpet in the lounge and kitchen area then built the lockers and everything else on top.
Can't understand why they made some of the carpets removable with press studs and then glued the rest down in the main hab and kitchen area, does not seem logical to me.
Best Wishes Tony

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Best Wishes Tony
We just went to the local carpet shop, picked the vinyl covering we wanted and told them it was in our motorhome.. that the fitted carpet would have to be cut out ( Autotrail put in the carpet and then build the inside on it ! )
Guy turned up two days later and did the whole thing in about an hour.. even sealing all the edges with clear silicone

I think he charged £35 to do it

We use those rubber backed mats on top of it.. The only time they move is when Dillon has a mental half hour and I doubt there is anything short of super glue that could keep a mat in place then !!

Candapack

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We like having carpet. Ours is made up of four bits, each easily removed for a good brush outside every so often. The originals were pale cream ( :eek: ), so we had replacements made from what was left of a dark brown hall carpet.
But we also use mats at the cooker and the hab door, and like the OP, they tend to drift which is a bit of a pain.

PeteH

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
In the last `van, I fitted Carpet tiles, (From B&M) They had the advantage of being able to lift them individually and Pressure wash if necessary!. Which was boon after one Rally when the ground was like a quagmire after 3 days of solid rain!. Also when we had a Grease spill near the cooker I just replaced 3 tiles!. The down side is they ARE quite heavy if you have an issue with MGW. Currently I have some carpet cut to fit ( Ex our bedroom). And have yet to decide on the long term.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo EK
Exp
Since 2012
Autotrail claim, the reason the carpet is laid first all over the living area then the units are built on top is to achieve a better insulating rating. Having carpeted lockers does have an advantage though, stopping annoying rattles and nothing seems to slide around either.

But I agree a cream coloured carpet that can't be removed is not ideal. Especially with a dog and apparently according to"Sweet Caroline" I bring half the camping field in every time I return to the van. Even if I remember to take my shoes off before entering!!!

Be careful some of these vinyl floor coverings can be very heavy

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We like having carpet. Ours is made up of four bits, each easily removed for a good brush outside every so often.

Out of interest do you have a dog?

This is the main reason we have vinyl just so easy to clean :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wiw. Thanks for this thread. My vinyl bit in the toilet is awful.. mainly because of bleach and I didn't put lid on bottle properly. Been wondering if carpet fitter could cut it out and fit vinyl in that area.. poss with brass bar across floor at bottom of door where it meets the kitchen vinyl. ???

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Wiw. Thanks for this thread. My vinyl bit in the toilet is awful.. mainly because of bleach and I didn't put lid on bottle properly. Been wondering if carpet fitter could cut it out and fit vinyl in that area.. poss with brass bar across floor at bottom of door where it meets the kitchen vinyl. ???
They should be able to do that quite easily.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

You might need some hardboard fitting depending on the floor surface.

Unless you are talking about a Moho in which case you wouldn’t.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
You might need some hardboard fitting depending on the floor surface.

Unless you are talking about a Moho in which case you wouldn’t.

Yes moho. So should it be ok please?

Oops just seen 'Gus' reply. :)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Yes moho. So should it be ok please?

Oops just seen 'Gus' reply. :)