Free Member
Sep 10, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Upper class
Exp
Um?
Hmmmm.. I just invested £115 in the "LINNEPE 3-IN-1 GAS ALARM (RPR-C6903)". Have I wasted my money?

BTW does anyone know whether this is a passive device? For obvious reasons, I don't want to have to switch it on and off all the time, and I am thinking about the drain on my battery.

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
aldi are selling these at present at £3.99 if anyone still needs one:thumb:
ruth

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
aldi are selling these at present at £3.99 if anyone still needs one:thumb:
ruth

are you sure its a CO alarm and not a smoke alarm ruth,

sounds too cheap for a CO type.

B+Q have them at the mo for £15-ish

i have a combined smoke/CO......cost £35 from B+Q a couple of years back.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
are you sure its a CO alarm and not a smoke alarm ruth,

sounds too cheap for a CO type.

B+Q have them at the mo for £15-ish

i have a combined smoke/CO......cost £35 from B+Q a couple of years back.:thumb:
i thought so too, I paid £15 for mine last year on a special offer from lloyds, but i double checked and it was a carbon monoxide alarm, but it is the size of a credit card.

I think they have a web site so take a look, nowt to lose:ROFLMAO:

ruth:ROFLMAO:

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
just been on the aldi site but no search engine on it, sooooooooooooo i a going to go to aldi again tomoz and will check again, in case it has been marked up as a carbon monoxide alarm when it isnt, will let you all know tomoz. if there are any left only lots of people were buying them:Smile:
ruth:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i thought so too, I paid £15 for mine last year on a special offer from lloyds, but i double checked and it was a carbon monoxide alarm, but it is the size of a credit card.

I think they have a web site so take a look, nowt to lose:ROFLMAO:

ruth:ROFLMAO:

its NOT an alarm ruth, its an indicator........
plastic card with a spot in the middle....if theres CO it changes to a dark spot.
we tried them and they arent much good.
ours went nearly black in a week near the boiler but neither of the proper alarms triggered.
the dark spot in the middle is supposed to be cream coloured.

i have two alarms cos i dont trust 'em to work 100% of the time.

Attachments

• IMG_0989 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0989 (Medium).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
its NOT an alarm ruth, its an indicator........
plastic card with a spot in the middle....if theres CO it changes to a dark spot.
we tried them and they arent much good.
ours went nearly black in a week near the boiler but neither of the proper alarms triggered.
the dark spot in the middle is supposed to be cream coloured.

i have two alarms cos i dont trust 'em to work 100% of the time.

that explains why they are so cheap, 2 in a pack and a 12 month guarantee.

stick to the one from lloyds me thinks:thumb:
ruth

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the one in the pic has a shelf life of 3 years unopened but must be replaced every 6 months when opened.
could work out expensive...:Sad:

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
It doesnt matter how much they cost as they are a life saver.
They need to have an alarm sounding.
We had a problem with our chimney and on a cold crisp night we left our fire on low and the alarm went off, so it saved our lives.
Ours was bought at Tesco,s for £19.99.

Last edited:

MotorhomeWales

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
As part of our habitation service schedule we carry out a whole vehicle carbon monoxide test. The test takes 30 mins and reads the carbon monoxide level every minute during the test time with all the gas appliances running. We also test carbon monoxide levels for individual gas appliances.

Anybody who wants to call in to have a carbon monoxide test carried out is more than welcome, free of charge of course! Just let me know

Its also worth bearing in mind carbon monoxide levels are also high when the flu is cold (when you first light the appliance)

Dan

Carafit Caravan Services

B

BPGas&LPG

Deleted User
For those who don't have a carbon monoxide detector B&Q are doing a portable model for about £15 at the moment. Money well spent if you ask me

The best one are Honeywell SN450 & SN350 - only ones that bear a CORGI badge of approval, run for 6 yrs on the battery that comes with it.

CO gas can be bought to test the sensors also, so that you aren't just relying on pressing a button to ensure the thing is working.

When fitting an alarm remember that it should be placed near where either you are sleeping or sitting watching TV, tiredness is one symptom of CO poisoning, fires are usually the chief offenders in motorhomes,not just gas either, any appliance producing a flame can produce CO that includes woodburners.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I have seen it stated on several forums that they should be mounted up high but in the USA they are mounted as low as possible, right at the bottom of the entrance steps.

What do the instructions recommend?

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I have seen it stated on several forums that they should be mounted up high but in the USA they are mounted as low as possible, right at the bottom of the entrance steps.

What do the instructions recommend?

There is little difference in density of air and CO so imagine you have your fridge running on gas and your gas heater running both will create a convection current , ie hot gasses will rise to the ceiling then cool an drop down.

Logically in a motorhome

If either appliance gives off CO then the logical position for your monitor would be high up between the two sources .

Regards

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
I've heard that there are gas alarms (LPG) as well as CO ones....
Do you then need to have 3 different alarms, smokw, CO and LPG??

S

stagman

Deleted User

The more you have the saffer you will be :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

and if you are paranoid ....... a Narcotic Gas Alarm :winky:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User

You allready have a gas detector your nose:RollEyes: smells like rotten eggs

Yes you can get gas detectors Link Removed Propane is a heavy gas and will tend to lay low so its important that the detector is sited low also there is ventilation at low level as a build up of gas could lead to a rather large exsplosion:Eeek:

regards

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
You allready have a gas detector your nose:RollEyes: smells like rotten eggs

Yes you can get gas detectors Link Removed Propane is a heavy gas and will tend to lay low so its important that the detector is sited low also there is ventilation at low level as a build up of gas could lead to a rather large exsplosion:Eeek:

regards

Thats my view, but Mrs L doesn't see it the same. Guess it's best not to compromise on safety and can definately see the reason for CO and obviously smoke detectors.

M

mattireland

Deleted User
afraid to use trumatic gas heater due to baby

we just purchased a 1998 2,5 tdi ducato cheyenne and gas is one thing that always freak me out , even to the time when getting a tooth out at the hospital in my younger days
and also especially when we have a 3 month old baby, i`m even so nervous of actually sleeping in the motohome with her, i checked the heating system first switched on the gas and got the flame lighting turned the dial and the flame splurted out with a weird sound, i actually nearly fell out the door of the motorhome rushing to turn off the bottle , i have no idea of what could be wrong here, tried again later and noticed a battery pack in the heater changed them not actually knowing what they do, started my heater again got the flame lighting and this time turned the dial to 5 / 6 and after a few seconds the flame splurted out again, there is no way i will go off with my children on our first vacation without fitting a gas detector alarm as i have no idea what kind of heater we have or how it works and definately will not run it while we sleep, can anyone help me out here:Sad:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
we just purchased a 1998 2,5 tdi ducato cheyenne and gas is one thing that always freak me out , even to the time when getting a tooth out at the hospital in my younger days
and also especially when we have a 3 month old baby, i`m even so nervous of actually sleeping in the motohome with her, i checked the heating system first switched on the gas and got the flame lighting turned the dial and the flame splurted out with a weird sound, i actually nearly fell out the door of the motorhome rushing to turn off the bottle , i have no idea of what could be wrong here, tried again later and noticed a battery pack in the heater changed them not actually knowing what they do, started my heater again got the flame lighting and this time turned the dial to 5 / 6 and after a few seconds the flame splurted out again, there is no way i will go off with my children on our first vacation without fitting a gas detector alarm as i have no idea what kind of heater we have or how it works and definately will not run it while we sleep, can anyone help me out here:Sad:

You have nothing to fear from a well maintained system. Get a professional to service your cooker, water boiler and heater. You should have a gas alarm and a carbon monoxide alarm fitted. Again take advice from a professional as to where these would best be located in your particular motorhome.

You are right, sleeping with a gas heater on, even a fully serviced one, is not really a good idea. They can quickly warm a van in the morning though:Smile:

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
the flame splurted out again,

From where did it splurt out. Inside the motorhome or from the outside vent.

Either way there is a major problem and it needs attention.

Brand and model of heater and an accurate description of what happened would help us help you

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
We've got one of those mutiple sensor gas detectors, powered by the vans 12v supply. The CO detector is mounted on the ceiling. We were quite concerned that, after dinner, when we were quietly enjoying a snifter of brandy, the CO alarm would erupt into screech mode. It also goes off with wifes hairspray.
Apparently this is normal, so it gets regularly tested and prevents us from drinking too much (yeah right!:RollEyes:)

John

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I took the batteries out of the smoke alarm and the gas detector when I winterised my m/h.

The CO detctor has a huge red sticker on it which says "Replace in 2009".

Ive just had a Habitation check, did the person who carried out the Hab check replace the batteries or even mention them, did he warn me about the CO alarm. NO!!!.

So much for a Hab check

Jim
:Doh:

thepadster

Free Member
Apr 19, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
not long in this one
elddis autoquest 320

Hi to everyone , hope you are all well and enjoying the nice weather , just wondering if anyone else on here has an elddis autoquest 320 year being 1991 or there abouts , just curious to see if i am alone , ok thats it ,take care

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
posted this in the wrong place padster......

try a new thread in the motorhome chat section.

this is a permenant thread about smoke/gas/CO2 alarms.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
and if you are paranoid ....... a Narcotic Gas Alarm :winky:

Hi Scotjimlad,

Is there such a thing as a narcotic gas alarm? We are parked next to a dutchman who was gassed in his van last year, they woke up to find the only valuables left were in the shorts pocket he was wearing in bed!

I know there have been many posts on this subject, but thought it was a bit of an old wives' tale until we spoke to our neighbour and his wife!

Ginny

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
During inclement weather I was using the BBQ in the awning with the window opened. Suddenly beep! beep!. Wassat! CO alarm, which I had forgotten was going manic. At least it tested the alarm, on of Lidl's specials.
I.ve fitted it discreetly under the table, and a LPG alarm next to the gas locker.

The smoke alarm goes off when the OH cooks, much to her annoyance and my mirth!
Carbon monoxide is lighter than air so alarm should be fitted as high as possible, if fitted under a table you will most likely be dead before it goes off.
LPG is heavier than air and should be fitted as low as possible.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Scotjimlad,

Is there such a thing as a narcotic gas alarm?

Ginny

Hi Ginny

Yes there is, Google should find it...

I don't have one and until such times as irrefutable proof of a gas attack is posted and the gas used I see no point .. just my opinion.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Carbon Monoxide only doesn't smell (is odourless) when it's pure.

If you can smell something that might be fumes, assume it's carbon monoxide.

Propane is odourless.
They put summat smellie in, a stenchant, so that you can smell it.
It's well nigh impossible to make smell-less carbon monoxide from propane.
Ditto, butane, diesel, petrol, North Sea gas (methane) in fact, all the fuels I can think of.
On the other hand, you won't smell any of them if you are asleep.

Just because there's bit of a smell doesn't mean it's not carbon monoxide.

This is an additional warning.
It is not an argument against fitting monoxide alarms.

Yes, like heads, two alarms are better than one.

Two alarms, and your noses are the very best.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back