Caravan to motorhome (1 Viewer)

Hasbomoho

Free Member
Jan 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Noneyet
Hi , just joined and wanted to start a topic about changing from a caravan to motorhome , we have been caravanning for 30 years , you name we have been there done it , seen it etc , a few years back going to Europe 3 times a year when the ferry was only £87 return with the caravan , owe kids a have flown the nest so we was thinking about (80% sure ) made owe minds up to get a 4 berth motor home as both car and caravan are up for renewal we can self finance , normally keep caravan in storage £600 per year but want to keep motorhome on owe drive ( we live in southeast London not far from dartford bridge bit worried about it being stolen ) , was looking at spending £42-45,000 on a used vechile , I drive a ford transit medium wheel base for work ( builder) had one stolen about 4 years ago from outside my house so quite use to driving a similar size vechile even though the motorhome will be bigger , so what do you think , warts and all please , thanks Pete

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Welcome

you should get a decent van for that money, if you have read many of the advice on purchasing a motorhome on here you will see that the important things are;

LAYOUT!
LAYOUT!
LAYOUT!
then payload.

as you know already reducing theft is all about removing the options for the opportunist thief and there is loads of ways of doing that. you will also know if a pro decides they want your van it will be gone.

what make of motorhome or what chassis its on to me comes after the above list.

good luck with your searching.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Best move we ever made, should have done it earlier once kids had gone their own ways,
Main reason for change was Sue's on-going disability which meant i had to set the whole rig up on my own , but now just park up and that's it, unless using EHU.
Plus touring is now much easier without the towing aspect.
Sensible waiting until just the 2, would not want a MH with kids.
Go for it !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Hi Pete.....

Just be aware that you only have five posts before you have to subscribe to post, however if you do subscribe, Jim has an excellent buyers guide to motorhome‘s in the resources section.

If you are buying a MH, a subscription will be the best money you spend.....and no I’m not on commission 😂

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have never had a caravan, but have towed.
My priorities are
Seatbelts are likely to ever take someone else, like grandkids?
layout
payload
weight
how do you intend to get about if parked up in an out of the way site or aire?
oops forgot :pink:

Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
Hi Pete.....

If you are buying a MH, a subscription will be the best money you spend.....and no I’m not on commission 😂

We are in much the same position as yourself Pete.
I have to agree with xxAnthxx, if we cant go anywhere, and dont even have a M/H yet, at least we can read and talk about it!
welcome-frog.gif

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Welcome.

We went from Caravan to Motorhome too.

Wish we had done it years ago! See a lot more places, never get bored in one place and everywhere you go you have everything with you.

Only downside is they aren’t as comfortable to lounge around in but that depends on the layout you choose.

You get there and it’s already warm and sorted with water etc too so much easier when you arrive anywhere.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I was told you can’t hear a caravan falling to bits when your driving

With a motorhome you are inside it when you are driving and you can hear it falling to bits

Joking apart I’m sure you will find a good motorhome with your budget

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We did the same changed from a caravan to a motorhome 6 years ago. We nearly got the layout right with first van but the second van is perfect. In fact it is practically the same layout as our caravan with a fixed bed. It is great because we have 2 rooms. So think very carefully about layout.
We holiday differently your around a lot more. Instead of driving each day we walk or move the van on. Rarely stay more that 3 nights in one place.
Def would not go back we hated towing, setting up. Love the fact that in a traffic jam I can get snacks 😊

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Hello Pete,

When our kids were younger we had a caravan, took that into Europe a couple of times a year.

We started looking at MH’s 5 years ago, seriously looking 2 years ago, finally ordered our van January 2020 and took delivery in September 2020.

Take your time and do your research. Payload (you’ll hear a lot about that) and layout are two considerations that are pretty important.

We were able to visit loads of dealers and shows, not open to you at the moment.

Two years storage costs will get you a cracking lifetime warranty alarm, immobiliser and tracker system.

£45K will get you a new Sunlight or alike. (y)

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We changed from caravan (after many years etc etc) to 6.3m motorhome 2 years ago. OK - so not the best of times to be getting to know it - 2019, didnt get van until May, so finding out how it worked and how we needed to change our habits, then last year - just got away for about 3 short trips.
We are still not sure we have made the right decision. We like the van layout, setting up etc, but OH doesnt like driving it - despite having driven large vehicles before - he says he doesnt feel relaxed at all. I am quite happy driving it - prefer it to towing. Our biggest problems are having to do so much more planning about where we might want to visit because of parking etc. Like Joe & Sue my increasing disability issues have played a part. Decreasing mobility means less walking! Also trying to find CLs with public transport is not easy - and we are not keen on big sites.
We had been encouraged with all we had read, and some friends of ours, being so pleased with the swap. We knew we would have to make changes to our holidaying - but, as I say, still not totally convinced.
You wanted warts & all - so just a slightly different view!

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I agree with those encouraging buying a membership because, for me at least, £42,000 is a lot of money and there really are a lot of differences between a Motorhome and a Caravan.
Layout is one of them but mostly the difference is in your behaviour. With a motorhome you are not tied to Campsites. When you stop a Motorhome, you have arrived. To stay for long periods on a site is a Caravan being used practically, a Motorhome may often stay somewhere for a single night. Gradually you may decide to become independent of facilities and have your own solar electricity and re-fillable gas.
....and so much more!

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Welcome to the “club”. We changed from caravan to MH 20 years ago and much prefer it. As others have said, it is a different type of holiday, not that we were ever the 2 weeks on one site type of caravaner. For us now, the holiday starts as soon as we drive off not after we have set up on site.
You will already know what sort of layout suits you best. After layout, I think storage is the next most important thing. Our van has a layout similar to a Clubman style caravan, with the cab in place of the front window. You will be used to weight issues but bear in mind that you won’t have a car to carry any extra weighty items.

bri

Oct 2, 2020
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR BENIVAN 122
Welcome,invest in the mhfun you'll never look back. Its full of interesting people and a world of knowledge and helpful tips.happy motorhoming.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Sorry I would disagree
PAYLOAD!
PAYLOAD!
PAYLOAD!
then layout
My view is different, you likely spend more time in a motorhome than in a caravan .
Lack of payload ( whilst it is a huge factor) you can do something about by travelling lighter
Wrong layout ( beds too short etc) you will “fall out” with it and stop using

ALSO, buy it for you two, don't pick the entire van based on whether you can carry 2 guests once in a blue-moon

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
ALSO, buy it for you two, don't pick the entire van based on whether you can carry 2 guests once in a blue-moon

Well said, I often wonder how many buy larger motohomes so they can "take the grandchildren away with them" only to find their grandchildren don't want to spend their holidays parked in a field in a box on wheels 🙂

And yes, I'm aware that some kids do like it......

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Well said, I often wonder how many buy larger motohomes so they can "take the grandchildren away with them" only to find their grandchildren don't want to spend their holidays parked in a field in a box on wheels 🙂

And yes, I'm aware that some kids do like it......
A good point; both sets of ours have only been away with us 1 week trip per year but that's been worth it.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
We moved to the Dark Side in Sept, after 15 years tugging. However, only managed one night away so far due to lockdown, BUT four long-day trips out that we would never have done with a caravan. We find our e-bikes give a lot more flexibility. We like to ride into city centres.
Agree with comment as re: Buy it to meet your needs, not kids/passengers . Motor homing is about the journey just as much as the destination. Extra insurance premium for driveway parking is compensated by not needing storage. Only difference is the neighbours and everybody else knows when your house is empty.
Our priority was layout, followed by size then cost. In that order, get the layout right then can you drive that size of vehicle then can you stretch the budget to afford it. There's no point buying something because it's within budget if it doesn't work for you.
Some friends have followed us but went for a PVC ( IH 680 CRL). Does the same job in layout, same length, height but is narrower, but they need a towbar and carrier to take bikes. They have a combined shower/toilet (Layout) but otherwise the two make a good comparison between a PVC and coachbuilt, but the costs are very different.
Have a look at Wandering Bird's video at : Small motorhome review
to get an idea of how a coachbuilt layout works, and what their considerations were. (I'm not endorsing any model of MH here.)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Once you have an idea of what you want to buy, RENT ONE!

We rented three vans before we bought one.
First was was superb, but way too big and a pig to drive.
Second one was great, but still too big and what we thought was the perfect layout on paper, turned out it wasn't.
The final one we rented we bought exact same model.

As others have said, the balance is between budget, layout and payload.

Remember to allow enough in your budget to add a proper alarm and tracker system given your 'previous'.
(Personally I'd avoid Ford based motorhomes, but each to their own)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My view is that motorhoming is very different to caravanning. Caravanning is all about the destination whereas motorhoming is about the journey. We rarely stay in one place for too long and, at least when we go to Europe, we never book.

As others have said layout is important, but don't get too blinded by what you had in your caravan, because it may not be suitable for your new adventure. And the other very important thing is payload. Never trust what the dealer or manufacturer says. Get it weighed empty before you buy. Personally I would want at least 700kg spare, but then I carry a scooter in the garage and a full tank of water!

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Personally I am a very great believer in rear wheel drive and would put that high on the list---- I think I will live to regret it but out of desperation we just bought a fwd fiat, we spent months trying to find a rwd van in our price range, but the market is very different in Portugal!!!.
I dont think we would dare have a transit motorhome in uk--- there are sooo many being stolen----- would have loved one in Portugal though!!!

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
For your budget I would look for something like a n+b flair on Iveco chassis
It is built with bonded foam sandwich panels and is much less likely to suffer any water ingress problems
There are other Van's built with same construction method, hymer is one------ in my opinion the age is not as important as other things------ we assume you have a C1+ e licence??? ----- it changes your search if you are limited to 3.5t

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
London emission zone?
Whatever you get will be diesel so will be chargeable if you're in the LEZ or ULEZ.
Might be better in storage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back