Caravan and camping club, their loss. (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
:mad::mad: I've just tried to cancel a booking I have with the CCC for next week to be informed there are no refunds unless I give 30 days notice.
After 10 years as members I've just cancelled our membership.
Obviously, I've never read the small print, surely a weeks notice should be enough.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think they introduced this a few years ago to stop multiple advance bookings of sites, where people were just trying to keep several options open. The CMC have a woolly attitude to late cancellations and I believe that on some very popular sites are still plagued by late cancellations. I have heard (unconfirmed) that if you give them a good reason for the late cancellation, such as bereavement, they may credit your lost deposit to a later booking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I think they introduced this a few years ago to stop multiple advance bookings of sites, where people were just trying to keep several options open. The CMC have a woolly attitude to late cancellations and I believe that on some very popular sites are still plagued by late cancellations. I have heard (unconfirmed) that if you give them a good reason for the late cancellation, such as bereavement, they may credit your lost deposit to a later booking.

They didn’t even ask why I wanted to cancel, it was only for one night.
When I rang up and cancelled our membership they asked why I was cancelling. When I told them, they just said it’s 30 days notice required.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
:mad::mad: I've just tried to cancel a booking I have with the CCC for next week to be informed there are no refunds unless I give 30 days notice..

Sounds good to me. In the past so many booked shed loads of pitches and never used the booking.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
CMC only requires 72 hours notice of cancellation. No deposit anyway except affiliated sites.

We have done this once. They asked why but I think it doesn't really matters much as long as there is a genuine reason.

Mattbee

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie swapping from caravan
I had to cancel a night at a C&CC site a few weeks ago as the m’home was on a body shop. Phoned the site itself not the central booking line & got given a refund. That was 4 days before the booking was supposed to be for.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
They didn’t even ask why I wanted to cancel, it was only for one night.
When I rang up and cancelled our membership they asked why I was cancelling. When I told them, they just said it’s 30 days notice required.
Not sure it is their job to pry into your reasons, they may be private or embarrassing. Did you volunteer a reason for your late cancellation? Most holiday bookings involve a deposit.

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Sounds good to me. In the past so many booked shed loads of pitches and never used the booking.

That’s all well and good but in 10 years we have never cancelled or booked loads of sites and failed to turn up ( whoopy doo dah ) . If they based their cancellation policy on one size fits all then I’m glad I cancelled our membership and I’m only sorry it’s taken me 10 years to find out.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I had to cancel a night at a C&CC site a few weeks ago as the m’home was on a body shop. Phoned the site itself not the central booking line & got given a refund. That was 4 days before the booking was supposed to be for.

Many thanks for the info. One for the C&CC members to remember - always call the site direct to cancel bookings when within a few days of arrival.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I was in the office at one campsite and a chap was trying to book in. The warden checked the computer and told him he couldn't accept the booking as his membership number showed he had booked and paid a deposit for the same period at another of the club's sites. the camper was getting pretty cross, threatening to ring club hq to complain. the warden put the phone on the counter and told him the number is on the membership card. a very pissed off camper stormed out and had to do a 3 point turn with his motorhome to leave the site. the rules are nothing new and are great when they work in your favour but sadly make people angry when they don't

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
This isn't high season, what does it matter to most sites if someone needs to cancel short notice?
true not high season, but a lot less sites open and still many people trying to get away, we along with another couple are struggling to find somewhere to take both vans for a couple of nights.
Having said that, have heard that if you want to transfer the booking to another site and date you dont lose the fee.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
:mad::mad: I've just tried to cancel a booking I have with the CCC for next week to be informed there are no refunds unless I give 30 days notice.
Obviously, I've never read the small print, surely a weeks notice should be enough.
What you need to do now it write/email the head office or better still the CEO and explain why you cancelled your membership after 10 years stating your disapproval at being treated in such a way after never having cancelled or no showed before..
Won't make a shit of difference but it will make you feel you have vented your disapproval in the right place.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We phone the site, rather than the main line and on a couple of occasions we have had to cancel they’ve allowed us to rebook another date, not loosing the deposit.
This was Barnard Castle.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I’m only sorry it’s taken me 10 years to find out.

Are you saying that you have not enjoyed the facilities over those 10 years. We have enjoyed CCC many times but sometimes we've been pissed off because we could not get a pitch.

You can now invest the money you've saved in a nice bottle of wine and chill out. Life's too short to be ruined by petty regulations.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Where would we be if we had no rules...
Where would we be if we had too many rules...

If we had no rule we might qualify as civilised. Since we are drowning in rules it's a good sign civilisation is way off. EU/Brexit is nothing but rules and look at the trouble that is causing.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Tbf, I've previously been a member and they made an error in booking and agreed they had but wouldn't refund me the £20.00 extra it cost me. I stopped it in 2014 after being a member for over 40 years and the ONLY thing I used was the travel facility and its to my good. I certainly won't miss them.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
EU/Brexit is nothing but rules and look at the trouble that is causing.
The B word
Ducttape.jpg

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
If we had no rule we might qualify as civilised. Since we are drowning in rules it's a good sign civilisation is way off. EU/Brexit is nothing but rules and look at the trouble that is causing.

Are you agreeing, (I've a feeling you won't Now), that the 30 day money back cancellation rule could be overlooked at this time of year?

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Are you saying that you have not enjoyed the facilities over those 10 years. We have enjoyed CCC many times but sometimes we've been pissed off because we could not get a pitch.

You can now invest the money you've saved in a nice bottle of wine and chill out. Life's too short to be ruined by petty regulations.
Facilities? I book for the site for where it is , if I depended on the facilities to have an enjoyable time I would be very disappointed with the CCC.
CMC have fantastic facilities in my opinion but CCC facilities are a tad tired and retro.
Like you we get pissed off because if we can’t get into a site but that’s because it’s full not empty .
Yes life is short but a bottle of wine has no improvement for me . Respect, value , understanding and not being greedy have a better impact on my life.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I for one agree with there policy a few year ago I culd not get on a site as it was fully booked I was on a farm across the road could see pitches laying vacant.
And had done all night went over and asked there booked sir no one turned up to those pitches in three days .
This summer I had very few problem just booking in and getting on to there sites
bill

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The CMC have a woolly attitude to late cancellations and I believe that on some very popular sites are still plagued by late cancellations. I have heard (unconfirmed) that if you give them a good reason for the late cancellation, such as bereavement, they may credit your lost deposit to a later booking.
In June 2016 I'd just arrived at a CMC site at Wareham that I'd booked for two nights plus two more sites for my onward Westward journey when I received a call from my niece that my 89 yr old sister (who I was on my way to see) had been unexpectedly admitted to hospital in Cornwall and was not expected to last long.
The wardens were brilliant at that site and phoned on my behalf to cancel the next two sites and I received credits.
I set off straight away and during a brief fuel stop en route I phoned a CMC site near Redruth and said that I would be very late arriving (I had no idea at what time) and they were brilliant, saying they were fully booked but told me where to park and that they would leave the gate unlocked.
I arrived at the hospital in Redruth, probably 200 miles away, at 9 p.m. and spent an hour with my sister whilst she passed away. The hospital staff said I could overnight in the car park but I didn't feel like doing that.
The wardens were probably going against the rules but their initiative and understanding meant so much to me (as I later told them).

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
I would check . Sure it’s only 72 hours

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back