Car Cane / Helper Handle ... anyone got one? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just seen the advert on telly for this (I've seen it before though) and wondered if anyone actually has one? The TV one was £14.99, but it's £5.99 delivered on Ebay (same thing). I'm wondering about getting one for the camper as I do struggle to get in/out at times when my CFS is playing up.

Link Removed

s-l1600.jpg

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I got me mum one for christmas ..I had asked her about it and she hadn't been that enthusiastic. . Called her tonight and she was raving about it. Turns out she hadn't read the (simple) instructions on how to use it. She thinks it's great and has knee and hip replacements.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'd be concerned about the paintwork around the lock staple depending on the curve of the door shut.
The lower end of the one in the pic above looks very close to paint.
Maybe a bit of thinnish rubber tube over the metal 'pin' would help.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would just give it a good inspection before using it. I suspect there are regulations around the specification and testing of equipment used as medical aids and something for sale at this price won't have been anywhere near a British Standard, or whatever is the appropriate regulation.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I'd be concerned about the paintwork around the lock staple depending on the curve of the door shut.
The lower end of the one in the pic above looks very close to paint.
Maybe a bit of thinnish rubber tube over the metal 'pin' would help.

My thoughts as well

Worth getting some heat shrink on the metal staple

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I would just give it a good inspection before using it. I suspect there are regulations around the specification and testing of equipment used as medical aids and something for sale at this price won't have been anywhere near a British Standard, or whatever is the appropriate regulation.
It's sold in the UK by a British company...
They are on ebay but I believe they are mainly copies.
Doesn't seem to go anywhere near the paint.
Seems like a great idea to me and it's proven to help. Nice one.

Having said that I bought the one off the UK company..not ebay.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We were doubtful if it would be very well made for the price but took ours apart & very solid construction - the metal part is in one piece & extends well into the plastic handle :xThumb:

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Wrapped some electrical tape around the pointy bit of our one (to protect the paint) for use in the car, can't fault it (y)

It doesn't work as well in the van, but that's because of the height the seat is from the floor outside, you'd need to be bit of a contortionist :D2

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Mrs theBass uses one to get in and out of our van and is very pleased with it. Hasn't damaged the van at all but the tool itself looks a bit chipped. Still works perfectly though.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
With regards to pricing suspect that the ones sold on TV & on eBay (regardless of whether a UK or overseas seller) are all the same item despite the huge variation in prices - too low price an item to be worthy of copying - so would just go for the cheapest stockist with good feedback.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
PS. Bought ours on eBay a year or two ago for a few quid, not sure if it's 'fake' or not but it does the job (y)

PPS. Needed to wrap tape on ours as the latch on the car that it clips in to is a completely different shape from the one in the van. It doesn't need tape on it for use in the van as the clearance are different (y)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
@Minxy Girl We got the "TV" one for our Ducato based MH. My wife struggled getting up the step before, but now manages it easily. Recommended.
John

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Useful but they do damage the car. Couple of friends have damaged their cars with them, having bought them following the tv ad. One of them still wanted to use it and so has heat wrap on the gadget and gaffer on the car.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Management uses one to get in / out of the car. As she is disabled, we went to a disability centre to purchase. It was not cheap, has none of the extra stuff, being literally just a handle. However it works for her well, and nothing about it's design comes near to damaging the car. Unless of course I forget to take it out, before slamming the door shut. :xrofl:

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
The pointy bit on the end is intended for breaking the windscreen or side screen so not much point (sorry) in taping it up. :xeek:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The pointy bit on the end is intended for breaking the windscreen or side screen so not much point (sorry) in taping it up. :xeek:
Best thing would be to shield part of the 'pointy bit' with some piping/tape and leave the very end of it exposed, and also put some tape etc on the door frame so that it if accidentally got caught with the tip it wouldn't get damaged.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC

My size 11 boot will do a much better job of breaking my windscreen than their 3" spike :xrofl:

I'm also trying to think of inventive uses for the blade they include for cutting the seat belts (n)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
My size 11 boot will do a much better job of breaking my windscreen than their 3" spike :xrofl:

I'm also trying to think of inventive uses for the blade they include for cutting the seat belts (n)
Not entirely sure its a good idea to use an emergency blade for other things, unless you replace the blade every time ?:xblink:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
MY question would be?. Does the fact that you are applying extra (Downward) leverage to the Door latching "hook", over a period of time will it distort the attachment?. Bearing in mind that the design parameters for Door Locking mechanism would not likely have included this stress in analysis?. Modern vehicles, as they are, are stress analysed for the specific purpose with material thickness etc; made accordingly, largely in the interest of Weight saving and cost saving.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back