Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
Great!!!
Booked the CF for a big Euro trip in April, after reading a previous thread about how it was the best option, now not so sure and thinking of changing my booking to go the PA route.
Really don’t want to be put outside and have the van covered in Salt, had that once before, when returning to Poole and said never again.
Is everything covered and below decks on the PA? Also, is the loading easier, as in steep ramps etc? I tow an easy lifter and want to avoid any issues at the start.
TIA

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Great!!!
Booked the CF for a big Euro trip in April, after reading a previous thread about how it was the best option, now not so sure and thinking of changing my booking to go the PA route.
Really don’t want to be put outside and have the van covered in Salt, had that once before, when returning to Poole and said never again.
Is everything covered and below decks on the PA? Also, is the loading easier, as in steep ramps etc? I tow an easy lifter and want to avoid any issues at the start.
TIA

All the vehicles are below decks and under cover on the PA.

I am not the most confident of motorhome drivers but I never found the PA or CF difficult to board and we used to have a Autotrail tracker 7.00mtrs with a easy lifter on the back. (y)

Jan 27, 2014
Oakham, Rutland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Have used the CF several times, once when the crossing took 9 hours longer because of rough sea.I have been stuck in the open every time (covered with salt and exhaust grime) I am in general a good sailor so I put up with the crossings as a easy yet boring way to get to Spain.The worsed crossing we had was when we took our young granddaughter with us,in true French style they had one film suitable for children, they timed this to be on at the same time as the children's play club.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Just came back from Bilbao on the Cap Finistere. We've been on loads of ferries and normally I like all Brittany Ferries boats but I have to say the Cap Finistere is the poorest design I've ever seen. In our case, going onto the boat was via quite a high ramp leading straight to a narrow steep lane onto a higher deck. Straight down the deck, then turn full circle to go all the way back down the other side - and yes we ended up in the front row exposed to the elements for the duration. Then on disembarking, full circle again (past a car whose driver hadn't quite turned full enough circle and was busy filling in accident forms) to go back down the other side and off what seemed an even steeper ramp - enough for the caravan in front of us to ground out and for us to take the exit on an angle to avoid the same. As if that wasn't bad enough, there's no self-service cafeteria on board, instead there's a bistro-type cafe on deck 10, open air so that it's either too hot or too cold, dependng on the season. Then there's Le Petit Marche, which is really a little food supermarket for quick food, plus of course the expensive a la carte restaurant. The shop is tiny for this size of ship with very poor selection of anything and too cramped even on a quiet November sailing. Finally, if you want to take a stroll on deck and watch the boat going in and coming out, or if the weather's kind and you want to sit outside and get some rays, forget it - the only place you can go outside is in the lung-challenging Smokers Alley. When I book a ferry from BF in future I'll be paying close attention as to what ship is scheduled, the economy crossing is beginning to look much more attractive for more than just cost.
We were on the Thursday crossing which went to Plymouth,didn’t like the steep internal ramp but managed ok. Preferred the Pont Aven I was on in July.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have travelled on the Cap Finistere a number of times including arriving back to Portsmouth this year on the Friday as the beast from the East had hit on the Thursday! I presume we must be good sailors as there weren’t many of us in the restaurant for the full English. Our van did travel outside unfortunately but they washed it off well as we had no trouble with visibility.
Had to spend 2 nights at a Premier Inn as we couldn’t get home, still had to dig the drive out on the Sunday.
If you’re that worried about the Cap Finistere do you really think you should be considering the Bay of Biscay at all. If you’re not a good sailor 24 hours even on the Pont Aven would be a long time and you’ve then got to drive a motorhome in unfamiliar roads feeling dreadful.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Been on Cap Finistere more than a few times, no ferry is perfect but the food is OK, no worse than other ferries.

Yes smokers go outside, there is nothing much to see outside much of the time anyway

I book the trip that fits my schedule, not the facilities - better than driving through France just to get to Spain

Fully agree,,sailing times suit us,,,Not bothered about going on deck in the winter and the breakfast is great,,,BUSBY,,

May 19, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1995
Have used both the CF & Pont many times and whilst more expensive than driving either can be a challenge in the winter. Better than adding 1000+ miles to get to sun. Regarding loading you have those ramps on both boats. Used the Bistro on the top deck this trip was pleasantly surprised and good value. Bottom line you pay your money and make your choice. My FLT mate and I have long discussions on this he was starting to concede the real cost difference wasn’t so great until he got a quote. You do need to join the voyage club & book early as price increases the later you book.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
On the CF the beef stuff and chips from the top deck is nice but bringing it down 2 or 3 floors to eat doesn’t really add to the experience and makes me feel a bit of a tramp.

Unless I was desperate I wouldn’t use the CF again.

I hate it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I was sick as a dog I didn't eat much of it..

You have my sympathy. I left finger indentations in the toilet bowl of the Newcastle/Norway ship. It's something you don't want to make a habit of.

Survived Cap Finistere last time with some qwells and just never moved off my bed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back