Canterbury to tunnel (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We usually overnight at my sisters near Whitstable, but we would like to be nearer the tunnel, so Canterbury P&R looks logical. Which is the best route to the tunnel with a largish MH please.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We did it in the dark for the first time ever this time last year, it was also snowing and rush hour ?

I found the B road my sat nav used much narrower than I would have liked particularly nearer the tunnel end

probably in daylight abd dry it would have been fine ?

edit B2086

45A92CDA-2936-4D53-AEE1-21F88C789E81.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I live near Whitstable and would normally go to the tunnel via Canterbury and then the Stone Street (Hythe Road) out of Canterbury as shown above in the highlighted route. There are a couple of narrow bits as you come towards Stanford North plus one downhill bend on which you need to take care, but overall the route is OK.

I would not advise the middle route shown on the map above, through Elham and Lyminge, it would be worse than Stone Street.

The right-hand route is probably the easiest, A2 out of Dover (right at the roundabout by the P+R and Old Gate Inn. then taking the Folkestone turn off to continue through Hawkinge etc. There is one narrow part of this route at Denton by the Jackdaw in and this is a bus route so there is chance of meeting a bus at the narrowest part, but you are soon through it.

You could take the A2 to Dover then the A20 to Folkestone avoiding all narrow roads, but it is much longer.

I think that going from Whitstable instead of Canterbury P+R would only add about 15 mins to your journey, depending on the time of day. I would be tempted to take the A299 from Whitstable back to the A2 at Faversham/Brenly Corner, then A2 to the Folkestone/Aylesham turn-off, then via Denton and Densole to the A20.

Jim

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We did it this trip in November and just stuck it in sat nav 20mins road was ok although B road we have a 7.5 m Motorhome pulling a 4.5m trailer?

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I live near Whitstable and would normally go to the tunnel via Canterbury and then the Stone Street (Hythe Road) out of Canterbury as shown above in the highlighted route. There are a couple of narrow bits as you come towards Stanford North plus one downhill bend on which you need to take care, but overall the route is OK.

I would not advise the middle route shown on the map above, through Elham and Lyminge, it would be worse than Stone Street.

The right-hand route is probably the easiest, A2 out of Dover (right at the roundabout by the P+R and Old Gate Inn. then taking the Folkestone turn off to continue through Hawkinge etc. There is one narrow part of this route at Denton by the Jackdaw in and this is a bus route so there is chance of meeting a bus at the narrowest part, but you are soon through it.

You could take the A2 to Dover then the A20 to Folkestone avoiding all narrow roads, but it is much longer.

I think that going from Whitstable instead of Canterbury P+R would only add about 15 mins to your journey, depending on the time of day. I would be tempted to take the A299 from Whitstable back to the A2 at Faversham/Brenly Corner, then A2 to the Folkestone/Aylesham turn-off, then via Denton and Densole to the A20.

Jim
Thanks very much for the routes. My sister lives at Yorkletts which is not the best road to spend a night on. Even with full air suspension it’s difficult to get on an even keel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
We overnight here, and have done many a time with great success. We just call ahead and ask if they're happy for us to stay overnight in their car park, never ever had a refusal. We tend to use it as a start/stop point to our tunnel crossings. We have a meal and a couple of drinks, the whole thing is rather relaxed. They can take an 8metre rig without too much ado (providing you can park/turn it OK). Access to it from the M20 is OK too, albeit there are a few roundybouts to tackle :)

1580993507713.png

1580993544550.png

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
As well as the Flying Horse mentioned above, two other options would be the Valient Sailor at Cap-le-Ferne and the Drum at Stanford North, both convenient for the tunnel.

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back