Can we retire please? How much money do you really need need? (1 Viewer)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
AFAIK you can only top up the past six years NI missing contributions.

So, if you think it might affect you, don't delay because once it's gone it's gone.

Very easy to do, if not a little time consuming, hanging on the phone.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Started self employment at 21 and never looked back.
I have no pensions whatsoever except what the government will give me at 68 plus Im 50 so I reckon I will be allowed to retire at oh hmm 78. Luckily I have never trusted pensions so mine is bricks and mortar which will be paid off when I’m 60 and I will pay tax on that till I die so I say f££k em I’m sorted. I just hope we don’t get 90% tax rate for those that have worked for a living.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I have no pensions whatsoever except what the government will give me at 68 plus Im 50 so I reckon I will be allowed to retire at oh hmm 78. Luckily I have never trusted pensions so mine is bricks and mortar which will be paid off when I’m 60 and I will pay tax on that till I die so I say f££k em I’m sorted. I just hope we don’t get 90% tax rate for those that have worked for a living.
So it seems you've made provisions for your retirement?
Perhaps not the conventional way - but nevertheless, not reliant on the State.

Why have you "never trusted" pensions?

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Been tracing my pensions over the last couple of weeks. I have to say I’ve been really surprised (positively) by how relatively modest sums have grown very significantly (compound interest effect) over time. Nice to have got some good news for once!! 👌

I am in a position at the moment where I learnt something the other day which I did not realise. One can use maximum annual pension contribution (£40k currently) allowances back dated two previous tax years. Effectively maximum contributions are £120k in that period. I’ve paid nothing like that amount put in through my ‘normal’ monthly contributions, but will be company bonus rich (comparatively) in the next month.

For context, I’m 52 and retiring this year. I’m in a position where I don’t ‘need’ the bonus right now. I also have a healthy amount of pension built up.

So the modus operandi is this. If I maximise the pension contributions for the last three years with my bonus, I can then extract that from 55 years of age onwards by leveraging the 25% tax free lump sum. Effectively via at source and through tax return tax relief, that gives me 40-45% (higher tax bands) tax avoidance through sticking the money in the pension. Also all my pensions are doing way better on returns than any other saving method ‘easily’ accessible to me at the moment, so there will be some capital gain value too..

just thought I would put it out there in case it’s useful to others. I knew the £40k in year limit, but didn’t realise the two previous tax year was available.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Been tracing my pensions over the last couple of weeks. I have to say I’ve been really surprised (positively) by how relatively modest sums have grown very significantly (compound interest effect) over time. Nice to have got some good news for once!! 👌

I am in a position at the moment where I learnt something the other day which I did not realise. One can use maximum annual pension contribution (£40k currently) allowances back dated two previous tax years. Effectively maximum contributions are £120k in that period. I’ve paid nothing like that amount put in through my ‘normal’ monthly contributions, but will be company bonus rich (comparatively) in the next month.

For context, I’m 52 and retiring this year. I’m in a position where I don’t ‘need’ the bonus right now. I also have a healthy amount of pension built up.

So the modus operandi is this. If I maximise the pension contributions for the last three years with my bonus, I can then extract that from 55 years of age onwards by leveraging the 25% tax free lump sum. Effectively via at source and through tax return tax relief, that gives me 40-45% (higher tax bands) tax avoidance through sticking the money in the pension. Also all my pensions are doing way better on returns than any other saving method ‘easily’ accessible to me at the moment, so there will be some capital gain value too..

just thought I would put it out there in case it’s useful to others. I knew the £40k in year limit, but didn’t realise the two previous tax year was available.
I think it is but only once you have used up all the max contribution in the latest year. So if you had say higher rate tax on 10 k this year if you put in 10 k you get higher rate tax relief but if you had 10 k higher rate tax last year you would have to put in 10 at higher rate this year and 30k at standard rate this year before you can use the 10 at higher rate last year. I should check with someone who is an expert first.
I didn't get around to my pension contributions last year and thought I could use them this year but I'm more or less retired and lettings income is not allowable as pension contributions for tax relief. To access last year I would need to contribute 40k first this year even though I would get no tax relef at all on most of it!

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I think it is but only once you have used up all the max contribution in the latest year. So if you had say higher rate tax on 10 k this year if you put in 10 k you get higher rate tax relief but if you had 10 k higher rate tax last year you would have to put in 10 at higher rate this year and 30k at standard rate this year before you can use the 10 at higher rate last year. I should check with someone who is an expert first.
I didn't get around to my pension contributions last year and thought I could use them this year but I'm more or less retired and lettings income is not allowable as pension contributions for tax relief. To access last year I would need to contribute 40k first this year even though I would get no tax relef at all on most of it!

Completely follow you and you are correct. TBH the accountant will work out the tax attributed in previous years based on proportion of income and tax paid in each year and across each tax band. My objective is to get it paid in before the end of the current tax year. The tax return exercise will balance the process.

The primary reason for my post was that back dating of maximum pension contribution allowances wasn’t something I was previously aware one could do, so I wanted to share, but it may be well know already? This also all needs to stay within maximum £1.07m lifetime pension allowances as well, which doesn’t impact me.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Similar to me, I wouldnt say "didnt trust" so much but wasnt expalined and didnt understand properly, plus "tomorrow" would be fine, but it soon comes around

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
One can use maximum annual pension contribution (£40k currently) allowances back dated two previous tax years.
It probably won't affect [m]any but just a heads up that the HMRC have a cap on how much pension contribution overall - LifeTime Allowance [LTA].
I don't know what it is currently - but I do recall it being lowered.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I thought it was 67, im 55 and hope they haven’t sneaked the bleeding thing back another year.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
So, I just checked my state pension forecast and it says £235.37 per week - do they say that or do they only pay to the maximum of £175.20 - I am confused

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
So, I just checked my state pension forecast and it says £235.37 per week - do they say that or do they only pay to the maximum of £175.20 - I am confused
You may be getting that figure because your NI contributions weren't contracted out - and you're getting SERPS...

I'd give the Future Pensions Forecast Team a call for clarification - they're very good, don't use jargon.
0800 731 0175

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
You need to consider how much pension you are willing to sacrifice to never have to attend another Team Building event or Power Point presentation BS
Must be worth a thousand or two
Well Garfields , going forward, and thinking outside the box with an inherently joined-up team approach (singing from the same song-sheet) you need to focus on the cost-based savings that can be made during this un-foreseen down-turn....... and consider your position (y)

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Well Garfields , going forward, and thinking outside the box with an inherently joined-up team approach (singing from the same song-sheet) you need to focus on the cost-based savings that can be made during this un-foreseen down-turn....... and consider your position (y)
Basically, ensure you take a helicopter view of the entire situation before drilling down and pushing that idea down the corporate pipe.

That's what I do

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I liked the people that did the same work as myself and a get together was good as we did not meet regularly
I had plenty of stuff that I had to be at without the corporate nonsense
My manager was fairly good at keeping me away from it when he could
It was the sitting through the all employee events that drove me daft
There is only so many games of buzz word bingo you can do
I can't remember any that I came away from invigorated

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I'll be forwarding them some photos of Real blue sky thinking. From outside the box obviously :ROFLMAO:
As long as you circle back round to ensure you maximise synergies and collect on the low hanging fruit and well done for your thought leadership and keep leaning in to drive maximum value!

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
Funny you say that. Because of lockdown I been chatting to the wife more than usual and I only found out last week that she no longer works at Woolworths.
That is a double like :LOL: :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back