Can this be right????? (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
It seems that the blades from wind turbines have a finite life but they cannot be recycled so are going into landfill šŸ˜±
8970A52B-C8F6-46F7-A563-82F9A96602BB.jpeg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Lots of companies are working on recycling them and some are even profitable doing it.

This was an issue that it was uneconomic to recycle them. Too few were being decommissioned that there weren't enough to form a viable company around. this has now changed.
There has always been the means to recycle the blade just not the economics. This is no longer the case due to the huge number of blades now come out of service.

Don't expect to see them going to landfill going forward.

Also new turbine blades are being made with recycling in mind.

Reading both of those articles does not fill me with confidence that it will actually happen, and we still have the problem of all the blades that are currently in service.

This is another interesting read that starts with Carbon fibre reinforced plastic CFRP in the automotive sector but goes on to Glass fibre reinforced plastic GFRP as used in wind turbine blades, interestingly though mixing CF with GF in the production process seriously impacts the potential for recycling.

Recycling of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Composite Polymers ...https://www.mdpi.com ā€ŗ pdf

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Not just wind turbine blades. Modern aircraft use huge amounts of composites, carbon, Kevlar and glass fibre. At the end of its life the aircraft has to make that last landing at an airfield so being so large will have to be partially processed on site. This will have to be done within a controlled environment, not just any old WW2 hangar. Carbon in particular cannot be just burnt on a giant bonfire, the minute carbon particles drift in the air and being conductive short out unprotected electronic equipment. Artificial reef you may say, how many will we need, will only be feasible if aircraft is scrapped near the sea. The wings are the fuel tanks and carry large amounts of special sealants also toxic. Small poorer nations of course will just abandon them to the elements allowing nasty stuff to slowly enter the environment.
So do most modern electric cars, not to mention virtually all the leisure boating fleet from massive gin places down to lowly dinghies. As I said in a previous post, maybe it's the lifestyle that's out of sync here . . . .

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
China Is Planning to Build 43 New Coal-Fired Power Plants. Can It Still Keep Its Promises to Cut Emissions? The Chinese flag flies in front of exhaust rising from a coal fired power plant in Jiayuguan, Gansu province, China, on April 1, 2021
Having worked with China and having my sister just back from China I would not trust anything they claim to be fully true.

In a previous job my son went to China to visit a subcontractor who claimed to have a 99% pass rate on their finished product. They didn't count the items that failed the pre-test test. So the truth was told but not the whole truth. The items that were not put forward to the final test were dumped in the local river.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sorry that is a copout excuse touted about as a reason for not doing anything.
All these things take time
And that is nonsense. How long do you wait? Is 50 years long enough and they are still increasing the pollutants they emit?
Removal of cfc's almost now done,
If it Is believable that R12,22,502 etc; are no longer being allowed to be used by the so called "3rd World countries" that means it has only taken 29 years? And pollution and emissions are far higher now than they were in 1992.
I said per capita theres a lot of them and lots with no electricity and no vehicles
Which means it is only going to get worse when they all get electric and want what everyone else has.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I said per capita theres a lot of them and lots with no electricity and no vehicles
I think my reason is closer to the truth. We've seen only too well PRC s attitude to inconvenient facts during this last two years.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back