Can I take my van for service (1 Viewer)

May 22, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Since 2016
My Hymer Exsis I is due for its first service on 19/1/21. I am currently booked in with Fiat dealer some 15 / 20 miles from home for the service.
The van has only done 5048 miles in the 2 years (a sign of the times).
We live in the South Oxford area, tier 4.
Given the latest news, what is your opinion on whether I am allowed or need to travel in my van for the service.
I would like to postpone the service to the spring as I do not want to risk catching Covid whilst waiting in the service department a hour or so for the service to be done. However I do not wish to void the warranty due to a late service. I await a response from the Hymer dealer, to my email request to delay the service into the spring.
Thus the discussion is in 2 parts.
1 The Covid restrictions.
2 The likely Leeway on the service date.
Phil.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
My Hymer Exsis I is due for its first service on 19/1/21. I am currently booked in with Fiat dealer some 15 / 20 miles from home for the service.
The van has only done 5048 miles in the 2 years (a sign of the times).
We live in the South Oxford area, tier 4.
Given the latest news, what is your opinion on whether I am allowed or need to travel in my van for the service.
I would like to postpone the service to the spring as I do not want to risk catching Covid whilst waiting in the service department a hour or so for the service to be done. However I do not wish to void the warranty due to a late service. I await a response from the Hymer dealer, to my email request to delay the service into the spring.
Thus the discussion is in 2 parts.
1 The Covid restrictions.
2 The likely Leeway on the service date.
Phil.
Garages are open. And you have a booking if stopped. (unlikely but possible).I'd check first though. Maybe if your in the 'at risk' group and don't want to go? might help sway Hymer to postpone with no risk to warranty?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Take it if that is the nearest main dealer.
Don't sit around in reception, go for a walk.
Oh, you aren't in a tier four area.... You're in lockdown with the rest of the country, same rules for everyone.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just have the service done and go for a walk whilst it's in the garage.take some antibacterial wipes with you and gloves for driving back in. (y)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Did you extend the Fiat Warranty/Camper Care or is it about to expire after 2 years? On Monday you could phone Fiat Camper Services on 0080034281111 and ask them if the service period can be extended without loss of warranty because of Covid-19.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Garages are working and a service is a needed to keep a vehicle Safe, so it's fine to take it

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
I just taxed mine for the month to take it out of storage and have it mot,d and serviced yesterday while it had a days mot left. I picked it back up this morning with new mot and returned it into storage where it will stay until at least April. I feel it just makes things easier when we come to use it again as I won't have to run it with no tax or mot to the garage to be mot,d in April. I believe you can attend an mot with no tax or mot but the insurance company say it would not be covered in the case of an accident if it is not taxed or mot,d so its a grey area. I would not want to take the chance for the sake of paying a months road tax.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Slightly off topic (not unusual I know) is just over a month since van was MOT 'ed Was planning to go out to give everything a run. Avoiding lazy van syndrome hopefully, not sure if I should with lockdown?

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Van is booked in for MOT next weekend (extended from July) so will take it in for that. Will anti bac wipe bits they touch on the Van.

Just paid £45 to have a set of dining room chairs picked up from DFS by local Man and Van rather than drive the 15 miles in the Motorhome myself as dont consider it essential and then see peeps on Facebook posting about being out and about driving miles just to go for a walk

Keep Safe

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I spent time googling this today.

All evidence I found suggests that taking a vehicle for a pre-booked service or MOT is OK as they are safety related. “Pre booking” appears to be essential.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Slightly off topic (not unusual I know) is just over a month since van was MOT 'ed Was planning to go out to give everything a run. Avoiding lazy van syndrome hopefully, not sure if I should with lockdown?
A post MoT run might be a bit questionable. Motorhomes are rather conspicuous and probably not often used for essential journeys. If they can fine someone for driving 5 miles to take exercise, lazy van syndrome might be hard to argue.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Have a chat with your local independent garage, they will be able to tick all the right boxes for the two year service for half that price.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Took my Volvo for a service yesterday, if you can’t what is the point of garages being able to keep open.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back