Campsite Costs (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have just booked a few nights in Paris at Maisons Lafitte, an all singing and dancing campsite, in June. Not our usual style at all but as the grandchildren live in Paris they do like to come to the van and enjoy the site. It has a swimming pool, bar, restaurant, shop, the works, and it's on the bank of the River Siene. It costs €36/night, that's at a weekend for a riverside pitch.

On the way back up from Folkestone I have booked one night at the C&MC site at Chester Fairoaks, near a motorway, no pool, shop, bar, nothing. Cost £35/night, midweek. How do they justify it?

I have to say most of the sites we use in France are nearer the €15-20 mark, and they usually have a little pool and sometimes a bar and shop. Just to make our holiday more interesting we shall be in Paris on June 30th.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Here in Pontardawe the Ponty breakfast at the Ponty cafe is £3
It consists of 2 rashers of bacon, 2 sausages, 2 eggs, tomatoes, beans, 2 slices of toast and a mug of coffee

In Paris I have to pay £3 just for the coffee - Rip off France:)

But seriously, inferring I'd just made free with the humour, if you don't want to pay £35 to stay at Chester Fairoaks, then don't stay there - they justify the price because people are willing to pay it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I have just booked a few nights in Paris at Maisons Lafitte, an all singing and dancing campsite, in June. Not our usual style at all but as the grandchildren live in Paris they do like to come to the van and enjoy the site. It has a swimming pool, bar, restaurant, shop, the works, and it's on the bank of the River Siene. It costs €36/night, that's at a weekend for a riverside pitch.

On the way back up from Folkestone I have booked one night at the C&MC site at Chester Fairoaks, near a motorway, no pool, shop, bar, nothing. Cost £35/night, midweek. How do they justify it?

I have to say most of the sites we use in France are nearer the €15-20 mark, and they usually have a little pool and sometimes a bar and shop. Just to make our holiday more interesting we shall be in Paris on June 30th.
Can’t comment/justify the price but can add that Chester Fairoaks is a nice site within a short stroll of Cheshire Oaks shopping centre with its multiple food outlets and a couple of pubs with8n 1/4 mile

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Tomorrow we leave for Porthmadog booked Greenacres site for 7 nights with hook up including awning, also taking dog with us £1 per night, the Total for the 7 nights is a rip off £84. :D

John.
eer! @Neckender I just google earthed Greenacres Campsite in Porthmadog....that aint a campsite.....thats a town looking at the size of it!:eek:
Enjoy it, just jealous really, cant get into Wales being English and not having a passport:LOL:
Les

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Being a solo aged over 60yrs in Britain I only use camping and caravan club sites. As I get a discount.. Just had three nights at Devizes club site for £33.90.and this is my usual cost for me. At £11-£12 per night.. If I use CLs they are actually dearer as the charge for two people . French municipal sites are fine as well with a similar cost for one person.. However I normally use camping carpark aires which run at about €9-€10 per night.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
France is cheaper because no one wants to go there.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Not only do the CMC get to rip customers off with inflated charges but they also collect £52 off each one for the privilege of being ripped off.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I think they justify the price simply because people will pay it. We’re members but generally only use CLs mainly because we prefer them. Occasionally we use a club site for a couple of nights but only if we need to.

Mrs QFour

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Not only do the CMC get to rip customers off with inflated charges but they also collect £52 off each one for the privilege of being ripped off.
And to make matters worse, most of their sites are closed during the winter!

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We got back from Spain (via France) this week. Mostly Aires, but on the sites we used, most had a pool, bar/restaurant and shop. Many of these were closed but we were using the ACSI low season discounts.
When these facilities are open, I imagine profits help to defray campsite fees.
But even in low season, most sites had a reception office manned until 11pm. Many had cleaners going round the toilet blocks continually until late at night, and these facilities remained open anyway.
We are in both the C&MC and the C&CC, can't remember when we were last on a site but do use the CL's. But as I recall, God help you if you turn up unbooked after 5pm, or want to go for a crap outwith normal opening hours.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
As much as people keep saying I don't or won't use clubsites. Strange that most sites are fully booked in the summer. So it's really is only a minority that don't use them. The sites I visited in England last year had a great proportion of motorhomes on them.. So it's not just tuggers that are filling them up.. However I do think they are expensive if you have a family with you..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back