Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Has everyone seen how many of these there are now, just had a look for another thread, they are multiplying by the day, all the light blue ones are opening soon to add to the others.
Screenshot_20230118-092445.png

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
They may not be everybody’s choice but we like them. Well, most of them anyway.

Granted they vary from glorified car parks to beautiful forest sites and ex Municipal sites but for €12 or so we find them good.

Electric hook-up, (usually just 6amps), and good, well designed bornes with fresh water and toilet disposal clearly separated and easy drive over grey waste.

We also use “free” Aires and ACSI camp sites choosing whatever is nearest to our chosen overnight place.

Municipalities no longer seem to want the responsibility of keeping up the “free” Aires so we would rather CCP take them over than lose them altogether.

A few pics of some we have stayed on.
D93FDAE9-4573-4E2A-B283-BC22EAAF40CA.jpeg
7E076159-4751-471D-A2C6-1A05725A33CD.jpeg
CF5739AB-C9F9-4CDE-BD5C-C4BD53917C7E.jpeg
99E1B578-557C-47DF-AF07-5FF81F7340AB.jpeg

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I’m hoping to try a few on the way back from Spain, did try the one at Chateau Renault on the way down but it’s not suitable for a Winter stopover. It is an old campsite so every pitch was grass and no way could you use them as too wet. Stayed the night but parked on the road as did two others.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
They may not be everybody’s choice but we like them. Well, most of them anyway.

Granted they vary from glorified car parks to beautiful forest sites and ex Municipal sites but for €12 or so we find them good.

Electric hook-up, (usually just 6amps), and good, well designed bornes with fresh water and toilet disposal clearly separated and easy drive over grey waste.

We also use “free” Aires and ACSI camp sites choosing whatever is nearest to our chosen overnight place.

Municipalities no longer seem to want the responsibility of keeping up the “free” Aires so we would rather CCP take them over than lose them altogether.

A few pics of some we have stayed on.View attachment 707626View attachment 707627View attachment 707629View attachment 707628
Non of them look very busy is that's because you have to pay 😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Non of them look very busy is that's because you have to pay 😂
No, they can get busy. We usually travel in May/June, September/October or during the winter months. ie out of season.

Having said that we have seen motorhomes drive up, look at the pay barrier, and drive away. Usually French, but some Brits too.

This CCP Aire was a February visit.

632F9379-FD48-4AC5-847A-E5EA971B7CBE.jpeg

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I’m hoping to try a few on the way back from Spain, did try the one at Chateau Renault on the way down but it’s not suitable for a Winter stopover. It is an old campsite so every pitch was grass and no way could you use them as too wet. Stayed the night but parked on the road as did two others.
We stopped at this one on the way down in December.

Aire de camping-car de Beaumont Saint-cyr

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
We used half a dozen crossing France over a couple of weeks early January. Top the account up on the app and just swipe it at the Barrier as you go in and out. Even though it was cold all had water available and durable waste points and drive overs. I think our worst one which needed more work to smarten it up was at Millou. I’m happy to pay around €10-12 for the convenience. We’ve also used free ones.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We used half a dozen crossing France over a couple of weeks early January. Top the account up on the app and just swipe it at the Barrier as you go in and out. Even though it was cold all had water available and durable waste points and drive overs. I think our worst one which needed more work to smarten it up was at Millou. I’m happy to pay around €10-12 for the convenience. We’ve also used free ones.
If you meant Millau we agree. It was one of the few that we didn’t stay on.

We pulled in, visited the town, serviced the motorhome, including EHU to top up the battery, and then left. We were billed about €5 for the privilege. Cheaper than we can park our car locally.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We stayed in a couple in September - both good quality pitches - so as others have said we’re happy to pay, rather than lose them altogether.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We used quite a few last September mainly because we had topped up with quite a bit as we were hoping to travel during the winter 21 but didn't make it over to France then. We always use aires but are happy to pay rather than losing the facilities completely.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes I have been on here and criticized these things for taking away the free Aires and I still think in time we shall regret it as when they get a monopoly the prices will sure as hell rise to the same level as campsites but for the time I have left in motorhomeing I shall probably be useing them again .

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Yes I have been on here and criticized these things for taking away the free Aires and I still think in time we shall regret it as when they get a monopoly the prices will sure as hell rise to the same level as campsites but for the time I have left in motorhomeing I shall probably be useing them again .
If they rise to the price of campsites which provide swimming pools, bars, restaurants and games facilities they will surely go out of business.

We need a of mix of facilities, full amenity sites, CCP type and free Aires.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
We've used quite a few over the last few years, at C£10 per night including 6a ehu considor them good value. Whilst they stay at these prices will continue to do so.

Jul 2, 2017
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2017
We stayed in 3 or 4 last summer. Often they are old camp sites and sometimes the showers etc were still operational. I seem to remember paying a small extra fee to be able to book in advance so we knew if we were going to get in. There always seemed to be room in the South of France, but from Normandy to Calais it was more touch-and-go.
I should also mention that at the first one we stayed at I had a problem with the automated entry barrier - probably due to my own idiocy! A kind old French bloke came over and spoke to the company's helpline number; they very quickly had an English-speaking person on the line who sorted me out.
I think they are good value; I wish we had such a network in Britain.
Jeremy

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Anyone had a problem topping up campercar park card in last couple of weeks, mine come up with an error message in french?

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Anyone had a problem topping up campercar park card in last couple of weeks, mine come up with an error message in french?
You can toggle the language using the flag icon on the top bar in the website or use Google Translate copy and paste.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it’s where I want to be and no free parking around then I don’t mind paying around €10 for a good camperstop…😎
I only seem to find the crapy ones so I try to avoid them.
I object to paying €10 for a crapy car park with EHU that I don't want.
I might like a decent one if I ever find one but would rather have the option of paying less without EHU.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I always top up online l am very wary of doing it on the machine.
We normally do it on-line but last summer I miscalculated my balance and had to use a machine. It was very straightforward and didn’t appear to carry any more risk than using a card machine in any shop.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I only seem to find the crapy ones so I try to avoid them.
I object to paying €10 for a crapy car park with EHU that I don't want.
I might like a decent one if I ever find one but would rather have the option of paying less without EHU.
You know very well that I am dead against these things for the harm they are going to cause to the old time free Aires and I am sure it will cause new no parking in towns and villages for motorhomes and you will be directed to these things BUT having used quite a few of these last year ,as you know from my tour thread, I can well see the attraction of them to new campers who have not seen the old way and in fact the old ones, like myself who are not going to be here when the s... hits the fan and they are going to put up their prices to campsite levels and you won't have any choice as they have bought up all the Aires.
But as they are now they are good value, I can see that, all services for a tenner on a secure park, can't really fault it.
So for what time I have left I'm afraid it's
going to be , I'm alright jack, and will continue using them.
I know this makes me a turncoat of sorts, and I dread what it will come to in a couple of years but like everyone else, take it while you can and pay dear later.
And btw we are not going to stop these things they are to far advanced now.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I will use them if they are in the place I want to be. I travel to see nice places, and not to see nice aires.
Campingcarparks can only have the aires/sites, that the towns/villages want to sell/not run them selves. So they often won’t be in the best areas, and most successful tourist places. Because if they were the town/village would run them, and earn from it.

Part of this problem is that too many people take out from the aire system without putting money, of any decent amount, into the town/village. They think that buying a baguette and two beers is enough payment for a free overnight stop, with services. It’s not, and aires need money to look after them.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
You know very well that I am dead against these things for the harm they are going to cause to the old time free Aires ……

Another way of looking at it is if CCP didn’t take over the running of some aires would they still be there to use? Given the financial hit that some rural local authorities would have taken in recent years with Covid, downturn in the economy, rural depopulation etc., can the local communities actually continue to run them in some instances? It must be difficult to justify spending your constituent’s money on providing the facilities if they can see little return for the community and/or are already under financial pressure themselves.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
I can see why local communities are selling up to CCP. Instead of having to resource/staff their local Aires a company will do it all for them and probably pay rent for the privilege. The town will still get the same or maybe even more visitors.
I’ve used a few and found them all ok. I would like to think when I used Aires I was supporting the local Community and the money went direct to them but I think more and more CCP’s are on the cards!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back