Camping on board (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi

Does anyone know of ferries from Sicily to Genoa etc. that allow camping on board? I cannot find anything definitive on the web and have emailed GNV but no response. Thanks.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I am on the Genoa to Palermo ferry 1st Sept, GNV. I have a feeling that there is the option but not sure. I booked with Viamare.com Give them a call they are very helpful and know all the discount options.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Motörhead Fun
Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am on the Genoa to Palermo ferry 1st Sept, GNV. I have a feeling that there is the option but not sure. I booked with Viamare.com Give them a call they are very helpful and know all the discount options.

Thanks. I have emailed them. How much did you pay?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
£622 return for a Double bedded suite and a 9.2 metre x 4 m high van and 2 people. I got early booking discount, but probably now they will give you the tickets?

OP
OP
Motörhead Fun
Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
£622 return for a Double bedded suite and a 9.2 metre x 4 m high van and 2 people. I got early booking discount, but probably now they will give you the tickets?
Seems reasonable. Have you used the service before? Can you open the windows in a suite? I'm a bit wary of a standard cabin and the AC.

Thanks

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have used GNV before, Genoa to Barcelona in 2018, but on a different ship. Here is the current blurb, I don't think there are opening portholes. https://www.gnv.it/en/on-board/accomodations/suites-and-cabins
However, have you been on Med ferries before? If not, be aware they are all pretty poor compared to Brittany Ferries for example, sort of Fawlty Towers on sea or even a prison ship. Last time, and my wife thinks it was GNV, they shut down the toilets because they had a zillion kids on there and they were putting all sorts down and blocking the vacuum system. If you look at them as a means to an end and a necessary evil then you will have expectations that may be exceeded!
I can understand your wish to stay in your van, however even that can be a disaster if they box you in tightly and its hot... no air!
Good luck, will we see you on the 1st or during the following weeks on the island?

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We are camping on board from Ancona to Patras in September, booked through Viamare. Not a cheap crossing, but cheaper camping on board as no no need to book a cabin.

OP
OP
Motörhead Fun
Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have used GNV before, Genoa to Barcelona in 2018, but on a different ship. Here is the current blurb, I don't think there are opening portholes. https://www.gnv.it/en/on-board/accomodations/suites-and-cabins
However, have you been on Med ferries before? If not, be aware they are all pretty poor compared to Brittany Ferries for example, sort of Fawlty Towers on sea or even a prison ship. Last time, and my wife thinks it was GNV, they shut down the toilets because they had a zillion kids on there and they were putting all sorts down and blocking the vacuum system. If you look at them as a means to an end and a necessary evil then you will have expectations that may be exceeded!
I can understand your wish to stay in your van, however even that can be a disaster if they box you in tightly and its hot... no air!
Good luck, will we see you on the 1st or during the following weeks on the island?

That's really useful, thanks. Yes, I've been om ferries in the Med (and Asia) before so know they are not on the same level as BF!

We are only away 3 weeks; had flights booked to Peru but they have been cancelled and I need to get back to work and my son to Uni. He is studying history and is trying to convince me to drive down to Sicily and I really don't fancy driving the length of Italy both ways.

If we go, we will be in Sicily for around 8 days at the beginning of September.

Have you been before; any recommendations?

Many thanks, Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
That's really useful, thanks. Yes, I've been om ferries in the Med (and Asia) before so know they are not on the same level as BF!

We are only away 3 weeks; had flights booked to Peru but they have been cancelled and I need to get back to work and my son to Uni. He is studying history and is trying to convince me to drive down to Sicily and I really don't fancy driving the length of Italy both ways.

Many thanks, Martin
No this is our first time although have been to mainland Italy several times. Like you the long haul down does not appeal. DBK has written a book I think?

• Thanks
Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Many thanks, Martin
We drove to Sicily but the ferry from Genoa would be the way to go if time was short. I wrote up the trip here:

The Sicily bit starts at post #88 on page 3. We loved the Island and spent four weeks there.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
We are also booked camping onboard Ancona Italy to Igoumenitsa in Greece. We booked direct with Anek lines on their web site. We did the same crossing last year but were happier sleeping in our own van then in a cabin which we did a few years ago. That was not a good experience the cabin was not too clean. We were the only GB van on the deck last year. We are off in September!

OP
OP
Motörhead Fun
Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi all. Many thanks for the responses. Further enquiries have revealed that the only route to Sicily with camping on board is Salerno-Messina with Caronte & Tourist. And based on what I have looked at so far this is a daytime sailing anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back