Camping-Car Park - another one bites the dust (2 Viewers)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
If ever I take the trailer into a CCP I always use one space only and try to park at one end of plot so as to not inconvenience others and by the way I have never had to make special arrangements or extra payments😊
If ever I take the trailer into a CCP I always use one space only and try to park at one end of plot so as to not inconvenience others and by the way I have never had to make special arrangements or extra payments😊
DD976871-8ED7-43D4-99C0-D9CBF81F727F.png

By reservation applies to some of CCP aires
So did you contact CCP in advance

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Did you try a little further down the coast at Collioure?

We stayed for 6 instead of 4 nights (on a site….our choice (y) ).

Nice town, good coastal walks etc, Sunday market. We’d go back. (y)
There is an Aire there but just in a car park and 2 km from the sea,
You need not have stayed l understand you can have 30 minutes to use the service area as a cardholder. Personally if l do not like the look of somewhere l leave.
€5 for 30 min.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

€5 for 30 min.
If you are talking about collioure it is a bit more than a car park, and as I said in my previous post the fee to park includes a free bus service into town, so no more than trying to park your van in town.
And a beautiful town it is as well, well loved by painters in years gone by.

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
I cannot understand people who are prepared to pay anything from 40 -120k for a Motorhome and then expect to park it for free and get free water, free electric etc. If you don’t like using campsites or CCP sites or anything else that costs just a few euros that’s fine. Personally, I prefer a little bit of space and security to being crammed in almost touching each other on a scruffy bit of wasteland just because it’s free. And, bear in mind, many of those are now charging between €9 & 15!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I cannot understand people who are prepared to pay anything from 40 -120k for a Motorhome and then expect to park it for free and get free water, free electric etc. If you don’t like using campsites or CCP sites or anything else that costs just a few euros that’s fine. Personally, I prefer a little bit of space and security to being crammed in almost touching each other on a scruffy bit of wasteland just because it’s free. And, bear in mind, many of those are now charging between €9 & 15!
What has the price of the motorhome got to do with it. Just because we don't like sites. When we had caravans been on plenty of sites where you couldn't opdr a window because it would hit the caravan on the next pitch. Since having a Motorhome stayed on much better Aires.

Just parked on an expensive CP (Spanish Aire) full services Inc. EHU €3 for 24 hours, there you are I don't mind paying when I have to.:LOL:

IMG_20211020_124719_copy_1280x960.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What has the price of the motorhome got to do with it. Just because we don't like sites. When we had caravans been on plenty of sites where you couldn't opdr a window because it would hit the caravan on the next pitch. Since having a Motorhome stayed on much better Aires.

Just parked on an expensive CP full services Inc. EHU €3 for 24 hours, there you are I don't mind paying when I have to.:LOL:

View attachment 549646
Quite right, apart from people who have just come into some money or retired or something, folks with the hundred grand vans are the same ones that started with a mattress in the back of a tranny and still like doing the same as they did then but with a bit more comfort.
So if you like to be right next to a Frenchman or Dutch or whatever for free the cost of the van doesn't come into it.
Another thing is that van might have took every penny those people had so now they don't want to be wasting money on something they don't want.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Motorhomeing for us, is the freedom to go and park where you like not to be on a campsite at any price, if all you want is to pay silly money for a campsite you might as well rent a static ready set up.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016

€5 for 30 min.
You can stay for 2 hours I think not 30 minutes for €5 or similar and use electric, water, dump etc. so much cheaper than the £7.50 C&CC charge

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
What has the price of the motorhome got to do with it.

Quite right, apart from people who have just come into some money or retired or something, folks with the hundred grand vans are the same ones that started with a mattress in the back of a tranny and still like doing the same as they did then but with a bit more comfort.
So if you like to be right next to a Frenchman or Dutch or whatever for free the cost of the van doesn't come into it.
Another thing is that van might have took every penny those people had so now they don't want to be wasting money on something they don't want.
I have to agree. The cost/value of the MH is irrelevant. It's the style of Motorhoming that is important to us.
Yes, we may well stay on a Spanish site for 3 x months over winter, (pre pandemic), but it is usually out of necessity for the location. For the rest of the year we like go to Meets, Rallies, Pub stopovers, or the odd CL/CS. Ordinarily, we don't need facilities, so resent shelling out £20 - £40 a night plus, just to park the MH on a campsite in the middle of nowhere, especially here in the UK. :(
If we are on a town Aire or Stellplatz, It's not long before I'm scouting around for the Cafe/Bar, and the Bakery. ;)

I have looked at the Camping Car Park, and like GAVLAD, I think we'll register and give it a go next time we are across the water, heading for the sun. :)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Deleted User
Motorhomeing for us, is the freedom to go and park where you like not to be on a campsite at any price, if all you want is to pay silly money for a campsite you might as well rent a static ready set up.
Can't move a static every few days!
It is possible to tour using campsites, we did it for years with caravans both in the UK and Europe.
The campervan does give more choice these days though, including campsites, we are using one tonight in Vila Nova de Milfontes for one night and moving on, last night we used a Camperstop in Silves.
All along the SW coast in Portugal there are now what appear to be no entry signs for motorhomes and caravans to some nice beaches, even places with restaurants etc.
I believe that they are actually 'road closed to' signs. This particular one is a spot popular with FLT's in the past and there is a restaurant down there, this means that we are not legally allowed down there to use the restaurant.
Portugal goes from one extreme to the other.
IMG_20211020_143200072_HDR.jpg

Sep 17, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
3 years
Well, I have all the maps, plans and camping sites, CCP, FP, North and South book of Aires, loads of sites download, too many to look at! Yes, I like a nice free Aire in a town, where we can buy hot croissants and get an evening meal, visit a market and also like a nice campsite or pay-to-stay Aire. I am 75 and have a basic pension along with a small private pension(which runs out this year) which covers the basic living costs and not much else. It seems that everyone can just put their hands in their pockets and pull out wads of cash as when, buying new motorhomes and affording to take the ferry to France etc. The way I see it, is that with the Government with their anti-pollution ideas and electric cars, are just going to price me off of the road and travel. Travel insurance, vehicle insurance, road fund licence, fuel, all will rocket once the the end of petrol and diesel vehicles come to an end, in an attempt to turn us to buying electric, which means that we will then have a two-tier society, worse than now, with those that have and those that have not! Also, the fact that those of us that maintain our own vehicles, will find it harder to do so as vehicles and spares become more techno and there will no longer mechanics only spare part fitters guided by computers.
But, as of today, P&O are doing day-trips at £25. again, obviously I presume no MH or caravans, but still will allow me to visit our friends in France. I hope to travel more in France (thanks to Vicarious Travel and local knowledge) next year, subject to ferry/shuttle deals. At least you can drive in a relaxed way instead of fighting road works and jams on the English roads. If I had my time again and both my wife and I were fit, I would definitely have got into motor-homing when we were much younger, instead of driving coaches over Europe for a living!
Oh, and the reason that some of Southerners don't like putting our hands in our pockets, is because we have to pay London prices for most things and yet have worked on low wages for most of our lives. The ones with the money, are those that have sold their London houses and bought new build locally (where have all the flowers gone) and the South East is soon going to be covered in concrete and become the patio, not the Garden of England! I envy all you people that can travel - not so much having MH, as I prefer older vehicles that I can fix- without worrying about whether you can afford to or not. It' s a fantastic way to see places and meet new people, but I do feel that the noose is tightening on that ability.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
I cannot understand people who are prepared to pay anything from 40 -120k for a Motorhome and then expect to park it for free and get free water, free electric etc. If you don’t like using campsites or CCP sites or anything else that costs just a few euros that’s fine. Personally, I prefer a little bit of space and security to being crammed in almost touching each other on a scruffy bit of wasteland just because it’s free.
I can't understand people who want to park on sites, or CCP's - irrespective of the cost - when you can park somewhere like this. Searching out gems like this is what we like to do. Cost is not the issue. We can afford campsites - Just don't like them!!

Each to his own!!!

Find it on P4N , Search4Sites.

Safe, plenty of space, not a scruffy bit of wasteland. Similar spots to be found all over Europe. We stayed here a couple of nights and loved it.
(yes - it was free!!)
IMG_20210709_182308.jpg

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

I like free. It's ingrained in me from my early days growing up on a sink council estate in Bristol. I can now afford some luxuries but I'm not going to change the habit of a lifetime that helped me get to this position.

Having said that I've just paid €20 a night to stay at a site in Aranjuez in Spain. On top of that they want $4 euros for 1 day of (probably rubbish) WiFi. They can stuff that!!!

Back on topic - we used a number of CCP sites on the way down the France. I found them cheap and convenient. We would probably stay off grid more but our gas on the fridge isn't working so EHU is required most nights.

Deleted User
I can't understand people who want to park on sites, or CCP's - irrespective of the cost - when you can park somewhere like this. Searching out gems like this is what we like to do. Cost is not the issue. We can afford campsites - Just don't like them!!

Each to his own!!!

Safe, plenty of space, not a scruffy bit of wasteland. Similar spots to be found all over Europe. We stayed here a couple of nights and loved it.
(yes - it was free!!)
View attachment 549683

We have parked the camper in lots of those places and enjoyed walking in the area and then found somewhere proper to spend the night.:Smile:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Each to his own!!!

(yes - it was free!!)
View attachment 549683

Totally endorse that opinion, but would add that we have some favourite Aires/Stallplatzen, by babbling brooks or on mountains with similar views, and most are free, often we are the only ones there.

Only takes a little effort to find them.

Geoff

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I get what you are saying, however, we have a young child on board, so we try mixing the aires with a site on our holidays so that there's something for entertainment, whether it be a nice pool, other kids (not that we want that) or even a disco.
Unfortunately, we're stuck with school holidays - that's if I've been lucky enough during the works bun fight to be allocated leave during the school holidays. Otherwise I have to factor in the fine on top of the silly money.

I read some posts on here and think cor blimey, how lucky are they to be going to mainland Europe during June or September?
But then I think that most on here will have had to endure the fixed work holiday dates or school holidays in the past and this is now their reward in life.
Personally, I wouldn't swap at the moment, as I'll tolerate the high prices during school holidays whilst my child still wants to holiday with us.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I get what you are saying, however, we have a young child on board, so we try mixing the aires with a site on our holidays so that there's something for entertainment, whether it be a nice pool, other kids (not that we want that) or even a disco.
Unfortunately, we're stuck with school holidays - that's if I've been lucky enough during the works bun fight to be allocated leave during the school holidays. Otherwise I have to factor in the fine on top of the silly money.

I read some posts on here and think cor blimey, how lucky are they to be going to mainland Europe during June or September?
But then I think that most on here will have had to endure the fixed work holiday dates or school holidays in the past and this is now their reward in life.
Personally, I wouldn't swap at the moment, as I'll tolerate the high prices during school holidays whilst my child still wants to holiday with us.
Mate, I have had kids, and also worked on the farm, one week a year holiday and then having to pay someone more than I made to look after it, one week a year in a static was as good as it got for me for about twenty years, it's only since the kids have moved on and my wife died, and I retired that I have been going to Europe, but I'd swap for being back where you are than where I am now any day.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Like I said, I'd pay €5 directly for the parking space. That's better than buying a baguette at the local shop surely. 👍
I use only 1 site, & not always , when in France & that is private & 4€/night, ehu,, showers, dump,fill, washing machine , daily bread are all available as extras if wanted & all done on an honesty system. Other than that I only use aire de repos ,many of which are set in stunning locations & are all I need somewhere to sleep at night. Many I rarely see as it is dark when I stop.
and then expect to park it for free
That is the idea of a motorhome.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I use only 1 site, & not always , when in France & that is private & 4€/night, ehu,, showers, dump,fill, washing machine , daily bread are all available as extras if wanted & all done on an honesty system. Other than that I only use aire de repos ,many of which are set in stunning locations & are all I need somewhere to sleep at night. Many I rarely see as it is dark when I stop.

That is the idea of a motorhome.
It might be the idea of a campervan, but would you take a motorhome anywhere a campervan could go. Campervans can access many more "free" parking slots than a motorhome. You can sometimes squeeze a campervan under free car park height barriers.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
It might be the idea of a campervan, but would you take a motorhome anywhere a campervan could go. Campervans can access many more "free" parking slots than a motorhome. You can sometimes squeeze a campervan under free car park height barriers
Depend on campervan. Ducato based campervan aren't much smaller than motorhomes. Just a few inches narrower. A lot of motorhomes are the same length as the basic van.

It's all in the terminology!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Mate, I have had kids, and also worked on the farm, one week a year holiday and then having to pay someone more than I made to look after it, one week a year in a static was as good as it got for me for about twenty years, it's only since the kids have moved on and my wife died, and I retired that I have been going to Europe, but I'd swap for being back where you are than where I am now any day.
I am very touched to see I have been given heart hugs on this post but I assure you all I wasn't looking for sympathy as I am no different to thousands of others, just meaning to point out, retirement isn't all its cracked up to be.
Live for today and enjoy your family while they and you are still young, retirement has an habit of running out.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I am very touched to see I have been given heart hugs on this post but I assure you all I wasn't looking for sympathy as I am no different to thousands of others, just meaning to point out, retirement isn't all its cracked up to be.
Live for today and enjoy your family while they and you are still young, retirement has an habit of running out.
I think it's good for you to point out the things people tend to worry about are relatively minor it's the sock you in the face things people don't worry about that really set you back

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It might be the idea of a campervan, but would you take a motorhome anywhere a campervan could go. Campervans can access many more "free" parking slots than a motorhome. You can sometimes squeeze a campervan under free car park height barriers.
I'd certainly be attempting to. My current pvc is barely 30cm less in height than the last coachbuilt & doesn't go in anywhere with height barriers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back