Camping-Car Park - another one bites the dust (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think it's principle with the French at one time all Aires were free, same with the man coming round in the morning and they have all scampered before he gets there. They see Aires being free as their right.
You see, I don't mind paying for Aires , I don't mind paying for water, don't need electric so that doesn't come into it, what I don't get is this campsite thing, it takes away all the freedom to just draw on somewhere and push in, no regimenting, just friendly folks, mostly.
But the cost will come into eventually, as soon as they can put the price up they will.
If you want this sort of thing why not go the whole hog and go to a proper campsite.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I joined at Chatellion Plage when everywhere else was rammed. I called there again a year later, out of season, the municipal site next door was closed. Not needing ehu or WiFi and just wanting to get my head down, I didn't use the CCP...........just parked outside......

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why do you insist on calling them campsites?
What else are they?
I have just had an hour on a tractor , topping and while riding round got to thinking, I have been going wrong here, these people who want these things don't want Aires at all and not worried if they disappear, all they are after is a cheap campsite and to hell with Aires.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
As I have said many communes can no longer afford even the minimum upkeep of the Aires and camp sites so no one can blame them for handing over the management for a payback . Remember it is the people of each commune who bear the cost . Perhaps that is why some french don’t want to pay as they already pay into the government coffers with income tax and all the taxes of the country year round unlike the overseas visitors who want the country to provide free facilities and the locals to foot the bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Because they are more like campsites than an Aire, a lot are old campsites.
In my experience the only ones that are like a campsite are the Camping de Mon Village ones, which are former municipals. We’ve stopped on a couple of them, but most CCPs we’ve been on a far more like an aire. They have EHU, but no toilet block or other facilities. Maybe we’ve stopped on atypical ones.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
What else are they?
I have just had an hour on a tractor , topping and while riding round got to thinking, I have been going wrong here, these people who want these things don't want Aires at all and not worried if they disappear, all they are after is a cheap campsite and to hell with Aires.

If we had Aires in this country and the local council couldn’t afford to run it, they’d sell it off to a housing developer. :(

If the only way for these areas in France to stay in their present use, even if they are handed over to companies like CCP, that’s better than an unkept dumping area or housing estate isn’t it? Just looking from a different prospective.🤷‍♂️

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
You see, I don't mind paying for Aires , I don't mind paying for water, don't need electric so that doesn't come into it, what I don't get is this campsite thing, it takes away all the freedom to just draw on somewhere and push in, no regimenting, just friendly folks, mostly.
But the cost will come into eventually, as soon as they can put the price up they will.
If you want this sort of thing why not go the whole hog and go to a proper campsite.
You don’t mind paying for aires? CCP is an aire with a charge. We stayed on one two days ago. Just a gravel car park, outskirts of village beside the river. 8 euros water, drain, black waste , and EHU for each plot. Barrier across the front to stop the boy races, and French fisherman. Brilliant.

It’s not a campsite because it’s motorhomes only. It’s not a campsite because there isn’t a little office with somebody in it to take your money. It’s an aire that you pay for.

The local councils in France are letting CCP take them over because they are dying, or not working. If they were being looked after, used in a fair way, and bringing money into the village they wouldn’t let another company run them, they wouldn’t need too. Too many people, from all countries, taking the pee. Not spending local, but going to the nearest German supermarket, over staying their welcome, disappearing before the money man comes round, abusing the site, and costing more money than they are bringing in. All that sort of thing.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
stories of overcrowded Aires is not our idea of fun. I’ll use them but not if I can’t open my door to get out or have to worry about getting blocked in.
Day 32 now and we have used exclusively Aires. We haven't used a CCP one yet (wouldn't rule it out if it were where we wanted to be however), and we have stayed in some amazing locations.

The only ones that were paid for were Boulogne Sur Mer - 1 night, Sainte-Croix - 4 nights, and Sainte-Estèphe.

We haven't found any of them full, or even particularly busy, we've had plenty of space, and haven't needed to resort to plan B anywhere due to overcrowding, so stories of such don't reflect our experience.

Still yet to park up with another Brit van.

Average cost per night now around £1.30, and that includes where we've paid a euro or two for services.

CCP sites serve a purpose, I'm sure, but at the moment, to reassure you chaser - all seems well with the 'traditional' French Aire

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Day 32 now and we have used exclusively Aires. We haven't used a CCP one yet (wouldn't rule it out if it were where we wanted to be however), and we have stayed in some amazing locations.

The only ones that were paid for were Boulogne Sur Mer - 1 night, Sainte-Croix - 4 nights, and Sainte-Estèphe.

We haven't found any of them full, or even particularly busy, we've had plenty of space, and haven't needed to resort to plan B anywhere due to overcrowding, so stories of such don't reflect our experience.

Average cost per night now around £1.30, and that includes where we've paid a euro or two for services.

CCP sites serve a purpose, I'm sure, but at the moment, to reassure you chaser - all seems well with the 'traditional' French Aire
€1.30 average for using Aires?

Could that be why so many are being taken over by CCP ?

Not having a go but can't make much sense to the local taxpayers.......

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
1.30 average for using Aires?

Could that be why so many are being taken over by CCP ?

Not having a go but can't make much sense to the local taxpayers.......
That's because most of them have been free.

I agree, even with what we spend in these locations, they can't possibly pay for themselves.

That's why they will never take off in the UK.

TBF, even with the CCP model, by the time they've made their improvements, at 12 to 15 euros per night I can't see how it pays. And this is where chaser is absolutely right, once they have control of more, the prices will increase and they become budget campsites!

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
And therein lies the problem, that this figure is important!
I agree that therein lies the problem.

But we seek out Aires in beautiful locations. Many are rural and happen to be free!

Are you suggesting we should seek out paid ones, even if they aren't where we want to stay??

Personally I think it would benefit the French Aires model better if they all had a set charge (10 Euros??) and it would be sustainable. But the people that would resist that most strongly are the French Camping- caristes

Deleted User

But we seek out Aires in beautiful locations. Many are rural and happen to be free!

Are you suggesting we should seek out paid ones, even if they aren't where we want to stay??

Personally I think it would benefit the French Aires model better if they all had a set charge (10 Euros??) and it would be sustainable. But the people that would resist that most strongly are the French Camping- caristes
Not suggesting that at all or your choices but the fact that you felt the need to work out that figure and post it on this thread where many have stated that the cost is not important is puzzling.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I use all types,Usually whilst travelling we use Aires etc but also enjoy a week or two on a nice site.Enjoy a nice pool and good facilities like bar restaurant good toilets and showers. It's only money and I am not planning on leaving any..BUSBY.🤣🤣

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

They are not busy because foreigners are hardly travelling.Most Aires we stayed on last year and this were populated by French and the odd Belgium.BUSBY.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

If the locals are happy to maintain an Aire and not charge, fair enough

If some want to change to CCP, that's OK so long as they don't restrict parking in the area.

That would maybe stop a monopoly and temper price increases...............

Park up no facilities, pay up for what's on offer at a CCP or move a bit further on...............

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Not suggesting that at all or your choices but the fact that you felt the need to work out that figure and post it on this thread where many have stated that the cost is not important is puzzling.
I just work out the cost of our trips - travel, stopover, food, fuel, insurance etc. Doesn't puzzle me, keeps me interested, but I don't have an agenda. I do, however find it interesting to compare these things with what is charged in the UK,

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
but I feel sorry for all the young ones who are going to miss out on the carefree touring Aires that we have all enjoyed.
Good point, but...

All things are relative. We look on the 'deterioration' of our experiences as time passes, and worry a bit about those that follow us. However, our predecessors probably did the same, as did theirs. The young people will accept what they experience as 'normal', and won't really be moved by old farts like us saying "It wasn't like that in my day." They will have their standards of normality, and the "carefree touring" could well be anathema to them. Already we are seeing the desire to be connected as a huge driver. You can imagine them saying "A remote Aire, in the middle of nowhere with no signal - no thank you." and "Look at this place - the (included) signal is great!" and so on.

You could argue that they don't/won't know what they are missing, and you'd be right. But your concern would be viewed as misplaced, I feel.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
TBF, even with the CCP model, by the time they've made their improvements, at 12 to 15 euros per night I can't see how it pays.
Down in Águilas ,at the western end, many always used to park up on the beach. The local campsite operator over the road was most vociferous in his hatred of it & one of the driving forces in getting the council to attempt to stop it along with being physically intimidating using vehicles. This is even though they were usually full , even in winter:unsure:?
A few hundred metres along the road is a petrol station. They have always offered dump /waste =1,50€
A few years back they turned one end in to a private aire. Completely hard standing, fenced,electric vehicle & pedestrian access gates, water ,waste = 7€ per night or 10 € with ehu.
gas on site for refills along with bulk lpg , diesel & petrol alongside in petrol station. 200m walk straight across road to decent beaches some of which are dog friendly. Always used to be reasonably full. Some months back I went for a look & it was quite full with 3 morello s on there.
I think it would probably hold 50ish?
https://www.campercontact.com/en/spain/region-of-murcia/aguilas/48495/anibal

I went for a look today & about 20 on there ,along with a Morello,so not too busy like everywhere else.

The other thing is ,unlike the campsite along the road who threw everyone out & stayed shut for 9 months, this place allowed those with nowhere to go to stay as normal. & after the initaial lockdown just carried on as normal.
If they can make it pay at those rates I can't really see what is the problem elsewhere ?
It isn't as if they are having to buy the land?

I also use a private aire in St Maire de Touran. 4€ /night.
ehu, water, waste, dump, bread ,washing machine, shower = extra individually if you want & all done on trust?? No idea if he has many that disappear without paying as on the occasions I have seen the owner I've never thought to ask.

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
We've never stayed on a CCP site but have stayed on paying aires. I don't know if our experience would be the same on CCP sites. We have stayed several times on the aire at Cuneo in Piedmont. It used to be free but has charged for a couple of years.
Motorhomer book in for the nights required and then can leave and re-enter as often as needed.
Both times at least one motorhome had booked for the maximum three nights at the entrance but had then left before their time was up. However the machine didn't know they had left for good and was still recording their 'space' as taken so other mhs could not get in. On one occasion the ticket machine was out of order and no-one could get in. Cuneo has a large free carpark next to the aire and mhs can and do park there. One time we were approached by two Danish women in an unconverted van who asked if they could put their tent up on the small grassy part of our pitch and leave their van outside. We later saw they had moved into the carpark and had erected their tent there, on a tiny patch of grass between rows of cars.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back