Campervan vs motorhome (1 Viewer)

Oct 13, 2019
Newbury
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm guessing this is an age old question.

Which to buy, pros and cons?

Do people use the shower in their motorhome?

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
  • I have a massive drive
  • I store on a huge cassoa site
  • I have opted for a PVC , 6.36 m

Go figure

Yes, I forgot the best reason to choose a PVC: because that is what one wants :) Which is the best reason to choose anything, really.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I can only see 3 rationales for getting a 6 meters or more PVC:
  • Driveway so narrow it absolutely will not take anything wider
  • Wanting 4x4 with real offroad capability
  • Budget constraints
All the other aguments fall flat when compared to compact real motorhomes. Plenty of them are available and they have better insulation, comfort, practicality, suspension and payload than the affordable PVCs. They are 6 meters long and only a few cm wider.

5.4m PVC on the other hand, are peerless on compactness.

Is this a wind up? ??
If so well done ....

We meet nine of your criteria ... the 6.36m PVC cost as much or more than several coachbuilts. Oh and it’s on Fiat Maxi chassis so uprated yo give an EXTRA 400kg of payload on top of what we already had.

Why did we chose it?
We spend a lot of time on small roads in the highlands of Scotland ??????? where a small van works better for us.
We didn’t want a coach built for a number of reasons.
An A class was an option and something we may look at when we retire.

Upvote 0

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Why did we chose it?
We spend a lot of time on small roads in the highlands of Scotland ??????? where a small van works better for us.
We didn’t want a coach built for a number of reasons.
An A class was an option and something we may look at when we retire.

Explain to me how a PVC works better on small roads than say a Dethleffs Globebus T1 or Carthago Compactline T138. Pretty curious about that.

The end of your post is much more convincing. If a PVC is what you like and want, more power to you and I wish you the best travels in it :)

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
  • Budget constraints
All the other aguments fall flat when compared to compact real motorhomes.

• We've just sold an A class
  • We store away from home on a CASSOA site
  • We are spending more on a top notch PVC than many compact motorhomes
Priorities are are very personal thing!

Upvote 0

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Just be careful with the Delaware as it's one of the most reported 'new' vans on the Autotrail Unhappy Owners Club for heavy damp issues; it's only second to the Autotrail Apache 634.
And the flip side to that comment is the Delaware is a great van with an excellent layout, ours has just had its hab check and not one reading above 6%

just trying to provide a balanced view

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Explain to me how a PVC works better on small roads than say a Dethleffs Globebus T1 or Carthago Compactline T138. Pretty curious about that.
At 2.05 metres wide, a Fiat / Peugeot / Citroen based van conversion is narrower than all of the above.

A pvc is less likely to leak.

It has a huge 'patio door' on the side; plus a pair of barn doors on the back.

In many cases it will be more sure footed and capable of travelling more safely at higher speed on motorways.

If standard height it will have a lower roof and present less wind resistance when travelling, and thus better fuel consumption.

More relaxed travelling on narrow country roads.

I could go on... But each to their own. :)

Upvote 0
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
  • Budget constraints
All the other aguments fall flat when compared to compact real motorhomes. Plenty of them are available and they have better insulation, comfort, practicality, suspension and payload than the affordable PVCs. They are 6 meters long and only a few cm wider.

5.4m PVC on the other hand, are peerless on compactness.
What a load of tosh. We have a 6.4 m pvc because that is exactly what we want. And as for budget restraints I think you’ll find that most PVCs are more expensive than a lot of A class MHs.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
A camper doesn’t have a bathroom.
some do i know a few vw,t2s that had a shower etc .
they used a shower in a bag setuo .bit like the one at the bottom of page.

Attachments

• img149.jpg
    img149.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
At 2.05 metres wide, a Fiat / Peugeot / Citroen based van conversion is narrower than all of the above.

Narower of 7cm, 3.5cm on each side. You have the driving precision of an F1 driver, it seems!

A pvc is less likely to leak.

And more likely to rust.

It has a huge 'patio door' on the side; plus a pair of barn doors on the back.

Yes, I like that too. If it is important it is indeed a solid argument in favour of the PVC.

In many cases it will be more sure footed and capable of travelling more safely at higher speed on motorways.

Very unsure about that. The standard rear suspension of a PVC is not adapted to the load of a furnished and equipped PVC. It can and should be reinforced. A compact MH, with its specific Fiat or AL-KO chassis will be at least as good as the PVC on the road.

If standard height it will have a lower roof and present less wind resistance when travelling, and thus better fuel consumption.

Height differences vary. Compared to an Hymer EXSIS-T, the height difference is about 10cm. But at same length a PVC is heavier than a MH, so I wouldn't count on to much fuel economy.

More relaxed travelling on narrow country roads.

Again, with 3.5cm of difference on each side, this is questionable at best.

I could go on... But each to their own. :)

On that we agree 100% :)

Upvote 0

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
What a load of tosh. We have a 6.4 m pvc because that is exactly what we want. And as for budget restraints I think you’ll find that most PVCs are more expensive than a lot of A class MHs.

More power to you! As I said in another post, wanting a PVC is by far the best reason to buy it.

Upvote 0

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
We have changed from a vw camper (used for holidays) to an A class motorhome because we are currently using it full time and therefore need more space.
As far as I am concerned the main advantages of a camper an are:
Being able to use it in towns and cities like a car. - big advantage
No need for a car you can use it for your everyday vehicle.
Advantage of motorhome - space, capacity for water and lpg and yes shower( love having that)
Depends how you use it, I guess a PVC comes somewhere in between.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
About ten pints;)

My pre/misconception is that Cambridge takes quirkier types, Oxford more ‘corporate’ types of person.
Not sure how right or wrong my over generalisations are.
Some of it is grounded in fact/limited experience

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
My pre/misconception is that Cambridge takes quirkier types, Oxford more ‘corporate’ types of person.
Not sure how right or wrong my over generalisations are.
Some of it is grounded in fact/limited experience

Selection is by College so it is difficult to come to that conclusion.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Agreed ... as I said my experience is limited but firsthand ?. And 20-25% of undergrads are accepted into a college other than the one they applied to. Myself included.

I got turned down by 'Teddy Hall' at Oxford - I reckon it was because my School Rugy coach reckoned I would get a 'Greyhound'(Second XV) but not a Blue. Not sure I would have got either, too light for a prop.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I got turned down by 'Teddy Hall' at Oxford - I reckon it was because my School Rugy coach reckoned I would get a 'Greyhound'(Second XV) but not a Blue. Not sure I would have got either, too light for a prop.
Never played rugby (girls played hockey at my school ?) but I did end up rowing (3rd boat) ... my lifelong friend was the cox. Early mornings and little talent. My one residing memory is of us getting our eight stuck across the Cam and our coach walking off in despair.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Can you get mosquito screens for the “patio” door on a campervan?

Upvote 0

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We say we have a campervan sometimes and a motorhome other times even though we're a PVC - if we say campervan then somebody is bound to say "oh a VW?" and if we say motorhome then we're told that we're not.

At 5.4m its very short but its great for parking in car parks and on our own drive, we have a massive water tank of 100L, enough garage space, a fixed bed, dinette, shower etc and still have room for 2 dogs to travel with us.

I think campervans and motorhomes are great, but it really is a case of to each their own. We all have what suits us and our needs the best at that moment in time, we may change to something different over the years, but there's definitely no right or wrong vehicle to own.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Campervan Vs Motorhome.
It’s a personal thing.
A Motorhome is more likely to have more free space, more storage a useable Loo & shower and maybe a fixed bed!
It all depends on how/where/when/how often & for how long at a time you are going to use the van!
If you’re not bothered if it’s a new or used van try for a secondhand Hymer with the drop down bed, bed is already for you-just pull it down & climb in, Loo & shower give you plenty of room.
Small camper van-bit cramped but you can use it as an all round vehicle.
Motorhome all the luxuries of home but maybe a bit too big to use just for shopping-height barriers!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back