Campervan vs motorhome (1 Viewer)

Oct 13, 2019
Newbury
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm guessing this is an age old question.

Which to buy, pros and cons?

Do people use the shower in their motorhome?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm guessing this is an age old question.

Which to buy, pros and cons?

Do people use the shower in their motorhome?
Use the shower every day when we are on aires, on campsites less so but many use their own showers wherever they are. It's just down to preference. :)

If by a campervan you mean a small vehicle with a basic cooker and no shower but possibly a portal then for me this wouldn't work. That sort of campervan is a tin tent, it's just camping with a bit more comfort.

For a similar amount of money you can get a small MH with a shower and a usable loo.

But it is all down to personal preference. I've camped in tents a lot but now have a small MH, 6m long and generally easy to park.

LRM_EXPORT_490367954135_20191003_205705258.jpeg

And I call it a campervan too. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
I've always been confused by the differentiation between Campervan and Motorhome.

I think we've just sold a motorhome, and think we're buying a campervan - but that's only on the basis that I reckon anything that is the shape of the original van it's based on is a campervan??

Having said - whatever it's called it would have to have a proper toilet and shower for us!

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Ours is a camper van like DBK’s picture.
With loo and separate usable shower, we have both gas and separate electric hot water heaters.
6m long easy to park.
Enclosed awning that doubles the size of the living space.
Decent cooker with oven, fridge freezer.
On board tanks.
More than adequate for 2 people, and a week off grid.
When you compare ours to the small pvc’s there’s not much difference, we really like the fact that the sliding door is so big like a patio door.
We’ve also found that some sites won’t except pvc’s but have made us more than welcomes we’re a large campervan not a small motorhome.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Campervan. Easy to park,more mpg,maybe use as daily transport.
Compromise on space/comfort.....but many don’t seem at all bothered.

Motorhome. More space/comfort. OK to park but may have occasional issues due to lack of space.

It depends what you are looking for,it’s a very personal choice.

We use the shower in our motorhome all the time.

Have you been to see any?

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We like the extra space you get in a motorhome. We have a fixed bed which is wonderful! It’s a proper bed and I love not having to make and unmake it every day. I’ve been there and have the t-shirt.

Yes we use our shower all the time.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We've seen loads... Like the fixed bed option, island bed even better. Love the Auto-trail Delaware

Just be careful with the Delaware as it's one of the most reported 'new' vans on the Autotrail Unhappy Owners Club for heavy damp issues; it's only second to the Autotrail Apache 634.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have looked at the possibility of a PVC bit came to the conclusion we couldn't cope with the lack of space & storage so it's a Motorhome for us and after a couple of A Class's wouldn't want any other type.

As for the shower we use it every day we are in the Motorhome, can't do without my morning shower.

Also some Campervans have ridiculously small water tanks to be independant you need absolute minimum of 100 Lt.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
It pains me to say it but I wouldn’t buy British! I speak from experience and now have a beautiful, well built, Laika! The other thing to consider, is which dealer to buy from. We bought our current MH from Southdowns and we couldn’t be happier.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Use the shower every day when we are on aires, on campsites less so but many use their own showers wherever they are. It's just down to preference. :)

If by a campervan you mean a small vehicle with a basic cooker and no shower but possibly a portal then for me this wouldn't work. That sort of campervan is a tin tent, it's just camping with a bit more comfort.

For a similar amount of money you can get a small MH with a shower and a usable loo.

But it is all down to personal preference. I've camped in tents a lot but now have a small MH, 6m long and generally easy to park.

View attachment 338873

And I call it a campervan too. :)
portal = portaloo. :)

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Really?? What type of sites? Not come across that (yet!)
Possibly referring to self-builds which look like vans due to no or almost zero side windows. Site owners might be concerned the owners are in "trade" rather than "touring". Unfair to genuine folk who have converted a van to use like a MH but some sites have been invaded.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's a time thing. If you do weeks on one pitch and caravan wins easily.

It jumping all over the place, got to be a MH.

Upvote 0

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
To me, a camper van is a metal tent. No shower and no fixed loo. If you are happy to do a number 1 or 2 in front of your partner, than a camper van is for you. much better mpg and ease of parking where ever you want. A PCV is a small, but not as restrictive as a camper van and number 1 and 2's can be done in privacy. A little bit more difficult to park, but not much. A motorhome is a home that has a motor and can be as big or as small as your requirements require (?).

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Just be careful with the Delaware as it's one of the most reported 'new' vans on the Autotrail Unhappy Owners Club for heavy damp issues; it's only second to the Autotrail Apache 634.

I'd do your research generally if considering an AT as the issues they have apply to the whole approach to construction rather than specific models. Been there and got the (damp) T shirt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
crawfcol
Oct 13, 2019
Newbury
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
What would be a good make to start with. Budget 40-45k fixed bed, large fridge freezer (not essential).

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Look at second hand continental MHs. Hymers, Pilote, Knaus, Burstner, Laika.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
I'd do your research generally if considering an AT as the issues they have apply to the whole approach to construction rather than specific models. Been there and got the (damp) T shirt
Re ATs - ours has just had a repair done due to water ingress around a window. Apparently they are no longer made using a wooden frame, so water ingress, although causing damp problems in the inside wall boarding, is not the serious issue it once was.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2018
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Minimal, but learning fast.
We are relative Newbies too. In February we bought a Globecar Campscout (PVC - 6.36m long) from a private individual 250 miles away. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! We spent 2 years looking at vans, visiting shows incl. NEC 3 times, seeing local dealers and checking online almost weekly. By then we "knew" what we wanted. (And we paid less than your budget). Now with 6000 miles done over several trips including 22 nights on one trip we really know! The fixed bed and garage storage we love, the table gets used every day and the shower & toilet too. (But if we want a "proper" shower we use site facilities). We have a big fridge freezer but no oven, and large capacity fuel and water tanks. We don't have an awning, and have only used the roll out canopy a few times because of the weather in the UK this year. Hopefully next year we will travel further afield and might see our needs change. If you have the opportunity (money!) try before you buy. Hire something similar and see how it goes. We didn't, but got away with it. Now we cannot see ourselves without it!

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Look at second hand continental MHs. Hymers, Pilote, Knaus, Burstner, Laika.
Oh,and don’t forget....................................................................

Rapido!

Mine’s very well made,and the fixed bed is just sooooo ridiculously comfy.:)

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Welcome....

don't forget weight restrictions on your license.... you need C1 category to drive anything over 3500kg which is easily done...

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Check how wide your drive is. By chance our first motorhome was a PVC as it seemed the best way to get a decent width bed in a small van in our price range. We have a big garden with loads of parking space but hadn’t considered the fact that the entrance off the main road is quite tight as is the first few metres before it widens out. If we’d turned up in a traditional motorhome it would have been panic stations and phone a friend.
We’re on our third PVC but I still breathe in when we turn in. I’m sure it helps.

Do lots of research. We didn’t do any but that’s how we ended up finding Motorhomefun so it all worked out well. We were going to wait until we retired but had a “sod it” moment. No regrets but not the recommended way.

Upvote 0

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
I can only see 3 rationales for getting a 6 meters or more PVC:
  • Driveway so narrow it absolutely will not take anything wider
  • Wanting 4x4 with real offroad capability
  • Budget constraints
All the other aguments fall flat when compared to compact real motorhomes. Plenty of them are available and they have better insulation, comfort, practicality, suspension and payload than the affordable PVCs. They are 6 meters long and only a few cm wider.

5.4m PVC on the other hand, are peerless on compactness.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I can only see 3 rationales for getting a 6 meters or more PVC:
  • Driveway so narrow it absolutely will not take anything wider
  • Wanting 4x4 with real offroad capability
  • Budget constraints
All the other aguments fall flat when compared to compact real motorhomes. Plenty of them are available and they have better insulation, comfort, practicality, suspension and payload than the affordable PVCs. They are 6 meters long and only a few cm wider.

5.4m PVC on the other hand, are peerless on compactness.

• I have a massive drive
  • I store on a huge cassoa site
  • I have opted for a PVC , 6.36 m

Go figure

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I consider a campervan to be a commercial van body with added windows, a cooker, fridge, sink and convertible seats used as beds.
A m/h may be on a commercial van base but fitted with an overhanging 'caravan' type of body and facilities.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back