Campervan our only vehicle (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We are lucky that we have a choice of three supermarkets within easy walking distance. Of course, for a big (weekly) shop, it's necessary to use the van, especially as there's only one person to carry the shopping. It has occurred to me that other shoppers, or the police, might assume we are taking a holiday and are not in self isolation. I've only been out once since the lockdown so it's not been a problem. But imagining peer pressure makes you think. One of the benefits too, is that the van does get a short run out, to keep wheels and engine turning.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Was going to fill our gas bottles (in case we needed to isolate with son working the odd day (and myself perhaps)) and do a shop but at 7.5m thought it not worth the hassle. Taxi home may be the easiest option for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We are lucky that we have a choice of three supermarkets within easy walking distance. Of course, for a big (weekly) shop, it's necessary to use the van, especially as there's only one person to carry the shopping. It has occurred to me that other shoppers, or the police, might assume we are taking a holiday and are not in self isolation. I've only been out once since the lockdown so it's not been a problem. But imagining peer pressure makes you think. One of the benefits too, is that the van does get a short run out, to keep wheels and engine turning.
The Finish Fantastic Couple are doing something similar to yourselves and there must be other fun timers doing the same

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
As long as it doesn't have a fridge full of food, plus buckets and spades and summer frocks you'll be fine.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
You should be fine, they will see from the reg that you are local to where your shopping. There is no law saying what you can and can’t drive to shops.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
ANPR the police could check in a minute where you live from the DVLA data base. So no problem there. Social pressure is another matter. Most motorhomers are a pretty independent lot and could cope, but if you don't want the hassle a taxi could be your only option but I would walk to and from the supermarket letting the taxi deliver you groceries. You don't know who has been in the taxi before you.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
ANPR the police could check in a minute where you live from the DVLA data base. So no problem there. Social pressure is another matter. Most motorhomers are a pretty independent lot and could cope, but if you don't want the hassle a taxi could be your only option but I would walk to and from the supermarket letting the taxi deliver you groceries. You don't know who has been in the taxi before you.
I would not want to use a taxi at the moment.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You're missing the obvious solution!:rolleyes:
Walk to the supermarket. Do your shopping. Put your stuff back in the trolley after paying for it and push the trolley home.
Once you've emptied it at home chuck it in the local canal. Job done.(y)
Seems to work very effectively pre-virus times.:whistle:;):giggle:

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Please don't get paranoid and allow crap posted on social media stop you from using your daily drive to get your shopping if you need to - just do it

If approached, you probably won't be, politely explain the situation

No probs, sorted!

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Write a shopping list and have it handy to show anyone, if asked. That’s what we did here in Portugal. We have a regulation here whereby, anyone over seventy is not allowed out, Nigel is and I am disabled and can’t do the shopping on my own, we took the chance and got away with it. The fines here for disobeying the rules are very high, in the thousands, so quite worried about going out.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
We used our 20 foot moho for 11 years as our sole vehicle. We now have a Motability car as well. We got some amused comments at The Crem' and other meetings. Shopping was always a gamble and the car park at Sheringham are red hot if you so much as extend an inch into the next space.
All in all it was fun, and although I never did, I could have been very 'flush' by renting out our loo.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
The manual for mine says it should be driven at least every 6 weeks or expensive damage could occur. So I have.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back