Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Relative newbie
Hi, we have recently been to Belgium to visit Xmas markets with great success, other than Gentbruge, no campervans!! We are now in France using said Camperstop sites, all of the ones we have stopped at allegedly open all year, have had no water or power as described in the book, is this normal?

Steve Taylor

Free Member
Jul 7, 2010
Greatstone on Sea, Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2009
Most water on Aires will be turned off at this time of year and generally speaking any free electricity is only available in the summer. If you need either or both then find a campsite, which may be difficult if you are in the North.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As Steve says... Very common in Winter..
TIP... If you pass any rest areas with toilet facilty along the road check them out and especially near or under the sinks.
Truck drivers need a supply of fresh water and you can sometimes find a "potable" tap low down so they can fill containers..
Otherwise, Supermarkets..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Most publications will be similar. Some like All the Aires may list whether amenities are available but I think it's one of those things we find out. Don't think it's not accurate, just not full information
Good luck and
welcome animated smiley3.gif

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We've spent a lot of time in France in winter, only staying on aires. We've never come across one with the water switched off so far.

To say "most" aires turn the water off is misleading.

OP
OP
T

TWOFOURBMW

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Relative newbie
Maybe try using Camperstop, as we have and your opinion might be different!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome!!!:LOL::welco:

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
In winter we try to find an aire with a flot bleu, these tend to be heated so water is still on. Most seem to take credit card as payment. Although have to say the toilet waste and fresh water hose behind the same door............

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We've spent a lot of time in France in winter, only staying on aires. We've never come across one with the water switched off so far.

To say "most" aires turn the water off is misleading.

Maybe it should read "most aires in the North of France" - :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Maybe it should read "most aires in the North of France" - :)

Do you count Normandy as in the North?

We've never been further South than Honfleur on a winter trip and only ever stayed on aires. Every single water tap I went to was switched on apart from one where it had been vandalised. (y)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Do you count Normandy as in the North?

We've never been further South than Honfleur on a winter trip and only ever stayed on aires. Every single water tap I went to was switched on apart from one where it had been vandalised. (y)

OK OK I bow to your superior knowledge! however where there is a danger of a hard frost then I do think that the water may well be turned off

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
OK OK I bow to your superior knowledge! however where there is a danger of a hard frost then I do think that the water may well be turned off

I'm not claiming superior anything, just relating our experiences.

If we go in the winter again and find any that are turned off I'll be sure to post and let you know (y)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I'm not claiming superior anything, just relating our experiences.

If we go in the winter again and find any that are turned off I'll be sure to post and let you know (y)

How kind :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back