Camper van options - no kitchen or bathroom (2 Viewers)

Jings

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hello all you nice people ;)

First post, so go easy on me...

My wife and I currently have a caravan but want to change to a camper van. Our plan is initially for weekend use but in time to do some extended Euro travel for several months at a time.

We are looking for a camper van that does not have a kitchen or bathroom... this would appear to be the camper van equivalent of rocking horse poo. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, and I shall enjoy having a good old trawl through these pages, especially those of you posting about extended Euro trips. Look forward to getting to know you a bit better.

Jings

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I don't think there is such a thing as a camper without some some form of cooker. It's a requirement to meet DVLA classifications. You don't have to have the washroom, but a cooking facility is part of the standard.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
I would think a VW Caravelle with fold flat rear seats would be what you want, but it is not a campervan

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:

Our plan is initially for weekend use but in time to do some extended Euro travel for several months at a time.
That just won't be possible without facilities on board, unless you are only going to travel at peak hoilday times. France for example, not uncommon in some areas to find sites only open June until the end of August, and nearly everywhere they are closed by the end of September. In Spain only on the southern coast they are open all year.
You can always find a restaurant open but no showers & loo will make life very difficult.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Why no facilities?
You may as well just throw a mattress on the floor if a van.
What about morning coffee?? :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Mark, Hi and welcome (y)

The only thing that I've ever seen that comes close to your spec is this beast albeit it does have a huge catering section - so maybe not for you:

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
w2f
Much depends on your budget and where you are... I think that I would consider talking to a van converter, and come up with you own bespoke design. It's not always as expensive as you'd think and you can choose the base van you want as well. Have a look at some of the builder sites - my local one is Youngs in Milton Keynes and they are very helpful.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our first van we "converted" ourselves. It was a Toyota HiAce minibus base vehicle (like hens teeth to find but we didn't know that when we bought it - saw it on a forecourt and bought on a whim). We made modular units that went into the back for cooking etc. No fixed gas bottles, no ehu. It was not a motorhome and not registered as such. Oh, no shower / loo except we had a portapotti and screens to set it up outside. It was better than a tent but very restrictive.

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
Your own facilities, a Solar panel, decent batteries, a refillable gas system and the World is your lobster.

Without them ....... hmmmmm - probably manage but a darn sight harder.

:france::france::france::france:

OP
OP
Jings

Jings

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
@Mark Boylan can you explain the thinking behind no facilities ?
Seems an odd way to travel.
Hi all,

We have a caravan at the moment and just never use the cooker or the bathroom. We are used to camping so prefer to cook outside on the camping stove (keep the smells outside :) ) and don't think we have ever used the shower. It seems that it's a lot of space permanently tied up in facilities we simply don't use.

I really like the California, but would prefer it if the toilet/shower and cooker/sink area were made into additional living space. Perhaps bespoke is the way to get what we want.

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
Hi all,

We have a caravan at the moment and just never use the cooker or the bathroom. We are used to camping so prefer to cook outside on the camping stove (keep the smells outside :) ) and don't think we have ever used the shower. It seems that it's a lot of space permanently tied up in facilities we simply don't use.
I really like the California, but would prefer it if the toilet/shower and cooker/sink area were made into additional living space. Perhaps bespoke is the way to get what we want.

Looking to the long term - if you had a California without any facilities who would you sell the vehicle to if you gave up camping because I would think there would be a very small buying market with such a minimal criteria ?

Just saying....

:drinks:

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Weekend campsite trips in a caravan are very different to the extend Euro trips you plan to do in the future.
No on board facilities will make life harder and more expensive in my view

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi all,

That's a really good point you make in all honesty.

I'm always surprised by the number of so-called motorhomers who spend a fortune on a moho only to then spend their lives on campsites.

They don't ever use their own loo, shower, solar or expensive battery banks and they wash the dishes in the caravan club sinks.

I do see where you are coming from (y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We shower every day, so if you don’t stay on a site then no shower.... after a few days I’ll smell like a scabby :moon2:

We don’t always use sites that’s why we have useful facilities.... as previously mentioned, buy a good van and chuck a mattress in the back(y)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The other thing is that to use any of the main club sites it needs to be a motorcaravan , a van with a bed wont be allowed on site . I have had my landrover camper "inspected" twice , as to ehu with rcd, cooking facilities, etc , and it has everything inc sink and fridge etc apart from a loo !

OP
OP
Jings

Jings

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
"Just chuck a mattress in the back of a van..."

That's exactly my point. I'm just looking for a more middle-aged, middle-class equivalent to a mattress in the back of a van with a couple of 5 quid white plastic chairs from B&Q to sit on.

We have a camping stove. We will have an awning. We prefer to be outdoors, not indoors. We can stay at hotels several days a week. We just don't want to be lugging a bog and a shower and a cooker around with us all the time. :) From our experience in the caravan it is just wasted space.

OP
OP
Jings

Jings

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
The other thing is that to use any of the main club sites it needs to be a motorcaravan , a van with a bed wont be allowed on site . I have had my landrover camper "inspected" twice , as to ehu with rcd, cooking facilities, etc , and it has everything inc sink and fridge etc apart from a loo !

Wow. That would be a good signal to me to turn round and find somewhere else. It's supposed to be about fun and freedom, not Gestapo inspections.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I think what you are looking for is a Ford Transit Van not a Motorhome/Camper Van?

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Just visit one of the many Volkswagen convertors with your specs.
Base van, insulated and lined, new roof/windows if required.
1 x row of cabinets, 1 x rock n roll bed, swivel seats, table, lighting, electrics, refrigeration to suit your requirements.
Must be thousands of similar vans already on ebay?

Wow. That would be a good signal to me to turn round and find somewhere else. It's supposed to be about fun and freedom, not Gestapo inspections.
Same rules apply at Festivals, if you don't meet dvla requirements for a camper, you won't be allowed access to camper areas, or indeed be permitted to sleep in your vehicle (when in general parking).

OP
OP
Jings

Jings

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
It would appear that there are plenty folk who apparently define a camper van by having a shower or an oven. The clue is in the name... ;)

Motorhome... yes, all the mod cons of home.

Campervan... tent on wheels. :)

Of course I know I can go bespoke or buy secondhand on Ebay, I just wondered if anybody here could recommend anything in particular.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Why no facilities?
You may as well just throw a mattress on the floor if a van.
What about morning coffee?? :eek:

Sounds like my honeymoon.. (y)
1976 Sherpa van with the mattress off our bed thrown in, Pop bottle for the toilet. :whistle:
August bank holiday on a Blackpool car park pissing down with rain...
HAPPY DAYS,,

We are still sleeping in the back of a van after 41 years BUT facilities have improved..

1697-14116-original.jpg

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Most sites will require a vehicle to have been specifically designed with sleeping accommodation, which includes a proper bed facility rather than simply a mattress laid to a floor. But the standard converting rear bench seat that pulls out to a bed would meet that. You'd need curtains, blinds or similar. Otherwise it's basically a car or van and that won't cut the mustard.

The campervan / motorhome - technically "motor caravan" - definition requiring certain amounts of window, door to living accomodation, permanent gas / electric cooking, 6' long bed, seating / dining including attachable table, and storage / wardrobe / locker (but doesn't need a toilet/ shower), is a DVLA definition for vehicle excise classification. But you may also need to show certain standards to get insurance.

Rather like a tent, if you are happy to arrive somewhere and set up your stuff, why can't you have your portable table, BBQ, stove, and what not to cook outside in the great outdoors? But it wouldn't be a campervan. This might be a bit miserable in cooler weather, but it that is the style of travel you want, great, and your vehicle can probably be much smaller than the full blown motorhome, if all you need within is seating for travel and that pull out bed. I suspect that for longer distances you can always have an awning or day tent that you can erect for your day living space, changing clothes, etc, and many sites will expect you to have that tent attachment where there isn't space in the vehicle. You can even get small WC tents for your portapotty thing if the site isn't full facility. But then you need the vehicle space to carry that extra kit while you travel, and must be aware of how long it will take to set up and pack down each time.

I can understand the reluctance to need a shower. If you usually arrive on full facility sites, you'd use theirs. Most people on MHF expect to do at least some wild camping, so want the shower option. I'm in two minds and not sure how much I would use mine, given that space is cramped, water capacity limited, so going away for more than a couple of days, I expect to book onto the better sites? But the onboard WC is going to be essential - I'm fed up traipsing across a site to the toilet block at 3:00am in the morning.

Realistically one size doesn't fit all. That's why we have campervans, motorhomes, trailer tents, tents, and so on all of various specs, sizes. No doubt the OP has thought about their needs, the caravan isn't working for him. In a couple of years the desire for a van with bed may change again as expected needs change. From what I've read on here many have regularly changed their MH as their desires alter.

Mr Beaumont

Free Member
Feb 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Most VW conversions don't have a toilet or shower. Okay they have a small two burner hob, but they take up very little space and the hob cover can be used as workspace so would a VW with rock and roll bed etc not do the job?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Longer European trips will require a toilet and or shower as the open period for sites may be quite restricted especially in France Staying on aires or wild requires your own facilities
My own requirements are the opposite of yours as I need my daily shower and don't ever use site facilities even if available Also being of a certain age, trips to the loo in the night happen all too frequently

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back