Camper contact website not searchable on my Samsung tablet (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Campercontact.com works O.K. on my (15 yrs old) HP Pavilion laptop but not on my (10 yr old) Samsung tablet. I can open the website on my tablet but when I enter a town in the 'Where do you want to go?' box and press the Search spyglass nothing happens. I've tried by using several towns in France e.g. Dieppe, Saumur, Chinon etc.
Is it only available as an app to use on a Smartphone or laptop? I don't have a Smartphone and don't want to cart my laptop around.
When I choose to download the app on my tablet from the App store or Google Play I get a message that my device isn't compatible.
I subscribe to Camping-car parks which works fine on my tablet.

Reactions: DBK
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
It's working on mine - that's the basic (free) version, using the app.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Do I understand that you dont have smartphone but have an old phone ?

If so, have you considered buying a smartphone which, in essence, in my view, is a small tablet with a phone facility ?

Again, if correct about you having an old phone, it is going to die sometime, so getting a smartphone is only a matter of time.

Apologies if I have misunderstood

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
It's most likely that the app will no longer work with the operating system that you are running on your old tablet, I had the same problem with the Amazon music app and changed over to Apple music which still works on my tablet. There should be no reason why you can't use camper contact from their website if you wish, try clearing the browser cache and also restarting your tablet.

Edit: I just tried the website on my 11 year old samsung tablet and it worked okay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
CamperContact is both an app and a website.

Thanks, but I've been accessing the same website address using my tablet with no joy. Works fine on my laptop.

Do I understand that you dont have smartphone but have an old phone ?

If so, have you considered buying a smartphone which, in essence, in my view, is a small tablet with a phone facility ?
I've had the same cheapy Doro nonSmart PAYG phone for around 13 years which has always done me just for calls and texts but I've been finding it increasingly necessary to get a Smartphone e.g. even when trying to park in Guildford a couple of weeks ago :rolleyes: . The Doro dumb phone lasts nearly a week before needing to be put on charge whereas those with Smartphones seem to have to put theirs on charge every day.
One of my sons seems to get a new phone every few months and has given me one of his old ones; a Sony Xperia, but I need to sort out a SIM card for it but it seems a bit of a minefield as I really don't want/need a contract and squillions of GB's
It's most likely that the app will no longer work with the operating system that you are running on your old tablet,
It seems that's the case as I can load the camper-contact.com first page and log in but nothing happens when I enter a search town and press the search spyglass.

It's been a rubbish day so far since as well as the tablet hoo-haa I've nearly lost the will to live whilst renewing my car, motorbike and health travel insurances as well as an ISA, all of which expire/mature whilst I'll be abroad.....but at least it has been lashing with rain all day so can't do much else.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
It seems that's the case as I can load the camper-contact.com first page and log in but nothing happens when I enter a search town and press the search spyglass.
Can you let me know what version of Android you're running, you can find this by going to settings/about tablet/software information and it should be near the top, mine is running on Android 7.0 if it gives you an opportunity to upgrade then you should upgrade. Also whilst in settings go to apps/campercontact at the top it should give you the version number, mine is 8.0.9. The app is working okay on my Samsung tablet.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Can you let me know what version of Android you're running, you can find this by going to settings/about tablet/software information and it should be near the top, mine is running on Android 7.0 if it gives you an opportunity to upgrade then you should upgrade. Also whilst in settings go to apps/campercontact at the top it should give you the version number, mine is 8.0.9. The app is working okay on my Samsung tablet.
Thanks.
Had to find 'Settings' first; never been in there before!
Android 5.1.1

In 'Applications' then 'Apps manager' the campercontact app doesn't show in the drop-down list although the icon is on my home page and all my others (Park4night, Camper-contact, Fun etc.) are showing in the list of apps.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Thanks.
Had to find 'Settings' first; never been in there before!
Android 5.1.1

In 'Applications' then 'Apps manager' the campercontact app doesn't show in the drop-down list although the icon is on my home page and all my others (Park4night, Camper-contact, Fun etc.) are showing in the list of apps.
Okay, that's a pretty old version of Android and probably why your experiencing issues, if you can tell me which Samsung tablet you have I may be able to find out which is the newest version of Android it can run and how to upgrade it.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Okay, that's a pretty old version of Android and probably why your experiencing issues, if you can tell me which Samsung tablet you have I may be able to find out which is the newest version of Android it can run and how to upgrade it.
Thanks. Much appreciated.
I did press on 'Software update' and got the message 'Last checked on 06/05/24'. However, it still shows as Android version 5.1.1 . even after I'd turned the tablet off and restarted it it still showed Android version 5.1.1

Device name is Galaxy Tab A (2016)
Model no. SM-T280

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Okay, unfortunately version 5.1.1 is the only version of Android that is supported for that model, do you know which browser you were using to try and access camper contact on the Internet? If you do go to settings/apps find the browser and tap on it then tap on storage somewhere on that page it should say clear cache, tap on that and you should see cache drop down to zero, come back out and try running campercontact from its website and see if it work okay.

Reactions: DBK
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Thanks, but I've been accessing the same website address using my tablet with no joy. Works fine on my laptop.

I've had the same cheapy Doro nonSmart PAYG phone for around 13 years which has always done me just for calls and texts but I've been finding it increasingly necessary to get a Smartphone e.g. even when trying to park in Guildford a couple of weeks ago :rolleyes: . The Doro dumb phone lasts nearly a week before needing to be put on charge whereas those with Smartphones seem to have to put theirs on charge every day.
One of my sons seems to get a new phone every few months and has given me one of his old ones; a Sony Xperia, but I need to sort out a SIM card for it but it seems a bit of a minefield as I really don't want/need a contract and squillions of GB's
I am a very low user 10-20 quid a year payg on GifGaf can upgrade to 6 month goody bag like missus 1-2gig a month limit on calls good enough to contact quack every day. somewhere to start

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
If you do go to settings/apps find the browser and tap on it then tap on storage somewhere on that page it should say clear cache, tap on that and you should see cache drop down to zero, come back out and try running campercontact from its website and see if it work okay.
Yep, found 'Storage' and cleared cache which has dropped to 0.96MB.
Came out and opened Campercontact.com but still unresponsive when I enter a search town.
Unlike my laptop screen it doesn't have a 'Log in' button so maybe that's why it won't respond..........:unsure:
This is the campercontact.com opening screen on my laptop with a top bar and 'Log in' button....

1715077258016.png

This is the different tablet opening screen which doesn't have a top bar or 'Log in' button........

Laptop screen.JPG

I am a very low user 10-20 quid a year payg on GifGaf can upgrade to 6 month goody bag like missus 1-2gig a month limit on calls good enough to contact quack every day. somewhere to start
Thanks. For several months I've been following all the many threads with dozens of replies regarding data/phone SIMS for Europe and tbh there are so many options and opinions that I have just become more and more befuddled about which one to choose and how much data I'll need per week/month.
I don't ever stream anything or use any social media, YouTube etc. I only access Google, Gmail and Fun, plus occasionally a couple of camping site search websites and one motorbike forum and all just using my home BT WiFi on my laptop.
I need to give my scrambled brain a rest now by having a brew a fag and putting my runner bean poles up. :giggle:

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Came out and opened Campercontact.com but still unresponsive when I enter a search town.
Unlike my laptop screen it doesn't have a 'Log in' button so maybe that's why it won't respond..........:unsure:
This is the campercontact.com opening screen on my laptop with a top bar and 'Log in' button....

View attachment 894253

This is the different tablet opening screen which doesn't have a top bar or 'Log in' button........

View attachment 894255

Thanks. For several months I've been following all the many threads with dozens of replies regarding data/phone SIMS for Europe and tbh there are so many options and opinions that I have just become more and more befuddled about which one to choose and how much data I'll need per week/month.
I don't ever stream anything or use any social media, YouTube etc. I only access Google, Gmail and Fun, plus occasionally a couple of camping site search websites and one motorbike forum and all just using my home BT WiFi on my laptop.
I need to give my scrambled brain a rest now by having a brew a fag and putting my runner bean poles up. :giggle:
Sorry to hear that didn't work, I have three bars in the top right corner, if I tap on that I get an opportunity to log in.

Screenshot_20240507-124309.jpg

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Between us we have three different layouts/styles for the Campercontact opening screen which seems strange,
On my tablet it looks as though the top of the website with the bar and three dots is hidden. I did wonder if the page is too large for (is overlapping) my screen and I could try to reduce the page size by zooming out but can't find any zoom facility.
Thanks for your efforts. I'll just have to get by without using Campercontact.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone

View attachment 894253

View attachment 894255

Try a ÂŁ6 goody bag and see how far it gets you can always top up if not enough. Remember its no contract one month at a time. Then once defuddled the worlds your sim. Then move onto the ÂŁ5 a month sim.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Thanks the1andonly
Well that's now 4 different opening pages/layouts for Campercontact.com. I've never seen yours before.

I bought my Samsung Galaxy in about 2013 so 5 yrs older than yours but have rarely used it. I only downloaded the Campercontact website on Sunday so presumably it's the latest version. My other site search websites work fine (Camping-car parks & Search4Sites).

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Just incase, have you tried paging up or viewing in portrait mode rather then landscape?

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Just incase, have you tried paging up or viewing in portrait mode rather then landscape?
Good thought!
A bit of progress........first I discovered that 'Screen rotation' was turned off. Turned it on and got the complete web page in Portrait orientation exactly as the pic in your post #15. :giggle::giggle: However, :( there weren't the 3 bars but instead there are just the words 'Loading navigation' in that position - no egg timer symbol or other 'loading wait' indicator and it's been like that for around 15 mins. I suspect that my version 5.1.1 is too old, so rather than buy another tablet it looks like I'll have to forget the tablet and learn to use the one year old Sony Xperian smartphone given to me by my son, once I've decided on and bought a SIM for it. 🤷‍♂️
Hey-ho, I shall fight them on the beaches.........

P.S. When I downloaded Campercontact on Sunday I got a warning that the website was blocked as 'Unsafe' and 'privacy may be compromised' etc so had to tap on 'Advanced' and bypass the blocking.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
You might try deleting any apps that you don't use anymore, this might free up some space which may improve the performance of the tablet.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I'll try that once I've found out how to delete the icons from my home page and had my dinner! There seem to be a few that I haven't chosen or ever used.
At the moment under 'Storage' then 'Device memory' it shows Total space 8.00GB. Available space 820MB.
'Used space' shows 3.67GB
'System memory' shows 3.19GB

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Deleting icons will not remove programs, go into settings/apps select the one you want to remove and click uninstall, the app and the icon will be removed, continue with that process until you've uninstalled all the ones you want to then restart your tablet. You should find it works faster.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
go into settings/apps select the one you want to remove and click uninstall,
Under 'Applications' I have two options:
Option 1.
'Applications manager' which only lists a couple of Android apps; 'Accessibility suite' and 'System Webview', then Audible' and 4 Google ones; 'Play movies & TV, 'Play services', Play store, 'Text to speech' then 'Hancom Office widget', 'Kids mode', 'HP print service plugin' and a couple of others. I've no idea what these are or whether they are needed. No button given to uninstall them.
Option 2.
Default applications including 'HTML Viewer' and 'TouchWiz home' whatever they are. There is a 'Clear' button next to each of these.

I really appreciate your patience but it does seem to be technology to solve a problem I haven't had, but I felt that as so many use/praise apps that I felt I should get with it and give them a go. I've never had any difficulties using hard copy guides or by serendipity when passing through places so I'll stick with that and my dumb phone for sending the occasional text home.
I might take the tablet away with me as it could be handy if I find myself at a wobbly table. ;)

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Under 'Applications' I have two options:
Option 1.
'Applications manager' which only lists a couple of Android apps; 'Accessibility suite' and 'System Webview', then Audible' and 4 Google ones; 'Play movies & TV, 'Play services', Play store, 'Text to speech' then 'Hancom Office widget', 'Kids mode', 'HP print service plugin' and a couple of others. I've no idea what these are or whether they are needed. No button given to uninstall them.
Option 2.
Default applications including 'HTML Viewer' and 'TouchWiz home' whatever they are. There is a 'Clear' button next to each of these.

I really appreciate your patience but it does seem to be technology to solve a problem I haven't had, but I felt that as so many use/praise apps that I felt I should get with it and give them a go. I've never had any difficulties using hard copy guides or by serendipity when passing through places so I'll stick with that and my dumb phone for sending the occasional text home.
I might take the tablet away with me as it could be handy if I find myself at a wobbly table. ;)
Okay, no worries. As a general rule if the storage on the device is nearly full it will slow it down significantly, sometimes to the extent that some apps won't work at all. Here is a video to clarify how to uninstall apps from Android 5.1.1 should you wish to have another go at a later date.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Good thought!
A bit of progress........first I discovered that 'Screen rotation' was turned off. Turned it on and got the complete web page in Portrait orientation exactly as the pic in your post #15. :giggle::giggle: However, :( there weren't the 3 bars but instead there are just the words 'Loading navigation' in that position - no egg timer symbol or other 'loading wait' indicator and it's been like that for around 15 mins. I suspect that my version 5.1.1 is too old, so rather than buy another tablet it looks like I'll have to forget the tablet and learn to use the one year old Sony Xperian smartphone given to me by my son, once I've decided on and bought a SIM for it. 🤷‍♂️
Hey-ho, I shall fight them on the beaches.........

P.S. When I downloaded Campercontact on Sunday I got a warning that the website was blocked as 'Unsafe' and 'privacy may be compromised' etc so had to tap on 'Advanced' and bypass the blocking.
You should be able to use the Sony on your WiFi without a SIM, just like a small tablet!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back