Jun 14, 2011
Grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
7 years
Hi All
I am fed up with the built in Fiat Sat Nag on my ducato sending me up silly small lanes and am considering getting a
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Has anybody on here used this model and what do you think.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I've got one it does give usefull information and makes life easy shows campsites 'aires and fuel stations worth the money for me but everyone has different views - I run it alongside a truck tomtom but they can both run you up narrow lanes so it is still a gamble with silly lanes

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I’ve been using the earlier Camper 760 for several years and find it pretty good.
You do have to check the route against a map though as it will try and take you round some daft places and short cuts.
If you are over 3.5 tons and you use it in France be aware that it cannot differentiate between 3.5 tonne limits for goods vehicles and 3.5 t limits for all vehicles. The goods vehicle limits are very common in towns and villages throughout France and Garmin will take you many a merry jaunt around the countryside to avoid them.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi All
I am fed up with the built in Fiat Sat Nag on my ducato sending me up silly small lanes and am considering getting a
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Has anybody on here used this model and what do you think.
Thanks in advance
Getting one delivered today hopefully.. Full story ( if it works out ) on another thread..
Had the 760 for years and up until recently have been happy,,,, Though it has its foibles and has sometimes directed us up really small , almost dirt track , roads.. simply take a pass and let it sort out another route :)

OP
OP
dealornodeal
Jun 14, 2011
Grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
7 years
Getting one delivered today hopefully.. Full story ( if it works out ) on another thread..
Had the 760 for years and up until recently have been happy,,,, Though it has its foibles and has sometimes directed us up really small , almost dirt track , roads.. simply take a pass and let it sort out another route :)

I look forward to you "full story":)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Used a Camper 760 for a couple \ three years and, as said previously, like all sat navs it has some foibles.
I find it useful if pre-planning doing it on a pc using BaseCamp and then transferring the route onto the unit.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We’ve had a 770 LMT-D for two years now it’s probably the best sat nav we’ve had but as others say it still has its bad days.
You just have to learn to know when it’s making a bad decision and ignore it.
Would I buy another Yes.(y)(y);)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Had the Garmin 760 for a couple of years but after a map update it went mad sending us down very narrow stone sided lane and in one case in York tried to send us under an 8'6" bridge. We are 9 foot summat and particuars correctly inputted!!! Hopefully the 770 will be better but that was the final raw and so far with an Aguri 7" we will see and up to now no probs.;)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have one and find it very good especially the ability to load your own POI's. I would urge you to read the manual (available in full online) then read it again, then read it again so you don't miss anything. Play with the device when not in the vehicle but fully charged to ensure you can demonstrate to yourself you know what it can do for you, which is an awful lot. Then read the manual again because you will have glossed over things you probably shouldn't, then play with the device again before taking to for a test drive in your car before taking it in your motorhome.

Set the motorhome peramiters larger than the actual peramiters of your motorhome and when you are going to do as totally unfamiliar journey check the route on a map or on the device overview.

This is a very comprehensive device that does an awful lot which I suspect a lot of people probably don't use. Being very familiar with the manual and the device will enable you to get the best out of it and save you a lot of frustration.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Had the Garmin 760 for a couple of years but after a map update it went mad sending us down very narrow stone sided lane and in one case in York tried to send us under an 8'6" bridge. We are 9 foot summat and particuars correctly inputted!!! Hopefully the 770 will be better but that was the final raw and so far with an Aguri 7" we will see and up to now no probs.;)
Think you will find the aguri is a garmin in disguise

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have the 760. Whenever I've input van details it simply avoids anything other than A roads and motorways if it can: if it can't it still picks inappropriate roads. Therefore most of the time all the nice villages & scenic roads are missed. So I leave it set for car. I don't pre-plan but do keep my eyes open for lanes & low bridges. So far so good with 5.4T, nearly 9 metres, and a trailer. It's still the best (of two :)) satnav I've used.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
As already mentioned, if you except that all sat navs can be a bit strange sometimes, the Garmin are about as good as it gets. Certainly our 760LMT has directed us well over several years now and love it when it tries to pronounce a French/Spanish/ whatever town name. :doh:

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
Brought a 770 LMT-S (the non DAB traffic version) a few months ago and have used it a couple of times in the MH and it managed to avoid a particular road near me which my old car Garmin always tried to send us down even though its not really suitable for cars and has a closed railway crossing on it. Setting it to car it tried to route down that road again so it does appear that the routing does take into account the vehicle size. Been testing it on various trips in the car, set to Motorhome, and it has tried to route me avoiding roads that are suitable for motorhomes so it may be as others say a bit overly pessimistic as to suitable roads. Big fan of Garmins as I find the PC Basecamp software to be a great route planner once you get to grips with it.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
A great bit of kit. Used ours all through France and Spain also. (y)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Think you will find the aguri is a garmin in disguise
I thought Aguri was owned by Snooper? Is it not android based??
I also thought it was the AVTEX satnav that was Garmin based??
What do I know???:(

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well my delivery did not turn up .. TNT had it out for delivery today but they seem to have now lost it..
So I will not be able ton give an opinion on the 770 any time soon it would seem..
Another tnt driver who is either bent or bone idle !

tandc

Free Member
May 4, 2010
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
20 years
Had Tomtom.snooper. But the garmin 770 is by far the the best of the three for me terry.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
OK.. so an update on the 770
YES !!
Love it to bits, and so much better than the 760
Especially when it only cost me £109 !!!! ( See new thread entitled Garmin come good )

I spent a good part of yesterday checking the 770 camper out and comparing it to both my Tomtom and older Garmin products

1) The processor seems MUCH faster. Routs and re-rout actions were sorted in a much better time
2) Variations on a theme maybe but the set up was good
3) Voice commands worked a lot better ( so no more repeating my self in a more and more terse voice LOL !)
4) Screen quality seemed better
5) Touch screen works so much better.... works with a TOUCH instead of a wild ninja style jab likely to kill a human :)
6) Thinner and lighter
7) Easier and better mount ( though not as easy as the Tomtom which is magnetic )

All in all the 770 gets a thumbs up from me, and for a while I did product testing on GPS units for a certain magazine :)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Just like to add a bit of info for anyone who's Garmin unit is acting 'a bit strange'.

My recently aquired 760 camper (a lovely bit of kit) insisted on directing me up a dirt track when leaving my village, even though the road was shorter and clearly showed up on the map screen.

A HARD reset cured the issue as well as updating the view of the apps, be aware it might remove any custom routes you have and/or any favorites, it didn't on mine, but is a possiblity.

Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
We have the 770 and first time out it took us past the entrance road to the campsite and round a 3 mile diversion to bring us in from the opposite direction which was down a very narrow road just wide enough. After that though it has been fine except today when I was updating it and it said that the micro SD card had reached its life span! It is only a couple of months old. I just ignored it and the update seems to be fine.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Have to say I had a hard time getting to grips with Garmin. Sold it when I changed `van as the place I wanted to put it (where I could see it) was too tight. 5" Tom Tom is IMV much easier to program and used with planning from an old "autoroute" programme. I have had no problems. I still keep the old "truckers" map in the van though!.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Bi
I have one and find it very good especially the ability to load your own POI's. I would urge you to read the manual (available in full online) then read it again, then read it again so you don't miss anything. Play with the device when not in the vehicle but fully charged to ensure you can demonstrate to yourself you know what it can do for you, which is an awful lot. Then read the manual again because you will have glossed over things you probably shouldn't, then play with the device again before taking to for a test drive in your car before taking it in your motorhome.

Set the motorhome peramiters larger than the actual peramiters of your motorhome and when you are going to do as totally unfamiliar journey check the route on a map or on the device overview.

This is a very comprehensive device that does an awful lot which I suspect a lot of people probably don't use. Being very familiar with the manual and the device will enable you to get the best out of it and save you a lot of frustration.
But even if you tell it you're 5 metres wide and 29 metres long it still sends you down VERY VERY narrow lanes
A few times I have considered shooting the ba$tard thing....

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
In fact male that several times....:mad:

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Bi

But even if you tell it you're 5 metres wide and 29 metres long it still sends you down VERY VERY narrow lanes
A few times I have considered shooting the ba$tard thing....
Have you tried a hard reset?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not yet
Have updated it...
Is this a common issue requiring a hard reset or are they just a bit / lot pants?? ???....????
Have you ever spoken to Garmin about it ?
If no one tells them of problems they cannot fix 'em :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back