Camera overkill ? (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Well, I started over with a dashcam to record any idiots in front of me.

Then I added a rearview and downward looking camera at the back (Waeco) with one monitor to switch between the two views. Got rid of the Waeco camera for better Chinese jobbie within a couple of years.

Then I thought that I should record the rear views in case of idiots behind me, so I bought a 4 input split screen or switchable view monitor (which replaced the Waeco monitor) which would also record.

Now I had two spare inputs, so I added a small camera under each front indicator light, to record idiots either side of me, but also allows good views down the sides of MH if reversing down tight alley.

Then I put in a dedicated 5" monitor in the position of the rearview mirror for quick glances to rearview.

Now came a new radio, Pioneer, which came with a video input function, well could not let that go to waste, so it shows downwards camera when reverse gear is selected.

Not finished yet, I added a delay circuit so that when the ignition is switched off the cameras keep recording for 5 mins and a button press will extent that. This button will also bring on all the cameras at any time even with the ignition off. So say you were camped up at night and you heard a noise outside, you could press the button and within a couple of seconds have a 360ish view round the MH all being recorded, without showing to the outside that you were looking.

When I eventually get round to designing and building an alarm system I will link it to the cameras so that any alarm will bring on the cameras which will record the scene round the MH as the alarm is sounding, to be viewed later. I'm surprised that this feature is not offered as an option by alarm installers.

cameras1.jpg

camera2.jpg

camera3.jpg

Nonose

Free Member
Mar 13, 2019
Gloucester.
Funster No
MH
Cl Riviera 121 (Vandora)
Exp
1previous van. Not had one for 3 years.
What a fab system, fair play. I especially like the parked up security camera aspect of it. You could be onto a winner there. (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have you thought of having a word with Google mapping Street view to see if they have any spare cameras.
One of those stuck on the roof should do.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Overkill? hardly started, more like. What about a camera to show you the wastepipe while positioning over a drain. Or to check it's dribbling OK when driving along curvy roads popular with bikers:D.

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
Changed my single rear camera for a double, put the single one over the drain pipe outlet, then put an eyeball type one under the tow bar so I could see what’s going on with the trailer wheels!
You can never have too much rear visibility in my book(n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Shame you are so far away, you could have done mine.

Reactions: Gcs

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Any recommedations for a camera? I have a rear view one which is OK but I would prefer one with less zoom. I find that I can see a little dot in the mirror half/three quarters of a mile away, next thing it turns out to be a great big artic and it's driving past me. I know there will alway be some distortion but this seems too much and not like my previous one. There is a digital zoom on the monitor but it isn't able to improve the optical zoom coming from the camera.:(

Wyn

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Any recommedations for a camera? I have a rear view one which is OK but I would prefer one with less zoom. I find that I can see a little dot in the mirror half/three quarters of a mile away, next thing it turns out to be a great big artic and it's driving past me. I know there will alway be some distortion but this seems too much and not like my previous one. There is a digital zoom on the monitor but it isn't able to improve the optical zoom coming from the camera.:(

Wyn

Are you using the correct viewing angle camera ? The one which is rearview has a narrow viewing angle and the downward one has a wide viewing angle. Mix them up and you might get as you describe. I know my side ones are wide viewing angle which means they down see a long way back of the MH, but look sideways a good amount.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Apart from the 360 camera system and long range rear on my RV I found it very useful to have a forward facing camera to give a view on o/s for pulling out past stopped vehicles when in UK as RV was LHD as you would expect .

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Are you using the correct viewing angle camera ? The one which is rearview has a narrow viewing angle and the downward one has a wide viewing angle. Mix them up and you might get as you describe. I know my side ones are wide viewing angle which means they down see a long way back of the MH, but look sideways a good amount.
I've now found the paperwork for it. It's a Camos CM-200. Not been able to find much about it.

Wyn

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
When I eventually get round to designing and building an alarm system I will link it to the cameras so that any alarm will bring on the cameras which will record the scene round the MH as the alarm is sounding

A further addition would be some kind of app on your phone, so you can view the cameras from home, or from the pub, or from your long walk out or wherever you may be when away from the van.

Great work @Sandancers I love it!

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
A further addition would be some kind of app on your phone, so you can view the cameras from home, or from the pub, or from your long walk out or wherever you may be when away from the van.

Great work @Sandancers I love it!

Yeah, a mod so if the alarm sounds then your phone tells you and gives you video from your cameras. Could work.

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Just wondering what your bedroom is like :Eeek: Just saying :whistle::LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back