Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Having just looked at the Harrogate Showground Campsite which has full facilities and a Cafe/Restaurant for £27.00 per night I thought I would check the CAMC Site at Knaresborough for this week. £48.00 per night!!! They have defylost the plot!

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
After using the CAMC sites randomly since joining in 1990 we've had enough. They are really taking the mick out of us all with prices. I know they are lovely sites but so is a picturesque field. In this day and age of all singing and dancing motorhome kit we can manage without a lot of the clubs pomp.

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
I am not in the money is no object category of campers, but I don’t mind paying for a good spot if it gives me what I want. However I made the decision this year to remain a member of only one of the big two, and CCC gets my money. Their prices have also risen but the far less regimented THS allows me to channel my inner Lenny HB and feel like I am getting a bargain.
If we decide to go back to Cornwall anytime soon though, I would have no hesitation in rejoining just to use CMC @ Boscastle. WOW what a wonderful vista.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
A couple of weeks ago I was on a lovely Municipal site, where they only charged 14 Euro per night including 10A EHU. With a bar + restaurant and free swimming pool. That's almost a quarter of what the CAMC would charge this year in high season.

Just turn up, plenty of pitches available, uncrowded and very peaceful, no need for advance reservations or deposits. No wardens checking up on how the customer places his outfit on the (large) pitches. Wonderful. I can't wait to go back to France like I used to before Covid lockdowns.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Not sure if everyone had seen the letter Jim sent to the club.
IMG_5041.jpeg

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Lots of threads on this topic already.

One here from only a couple of months ago got to 8 pages..

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I am not in the money is no object category of campers, but I don’t mind paying for a good spot if it gives me what I want. However I made the decision this year to remain a member of only one of the big two, and CCC gets my money. Their prices have also risen but the far less regimented THS allows me to channel my inner Lenny HB and feel like I am getting a bargain.
If we decide to go back to Cornwall anytime soon though, I would have no hesitation in rejoining just to use CMC @ Boscastle. WOW what a wonderful vista.

Me too. Not CCC but CAMC at Baltic Wharf in Bristol is expensive for a campsite but given it's location it's quite a competitive price for a stay in the centre of a lovely City in walking distance to so many Restaurants, pubs and tourist attractions. I'm not a member but would re-joining if I visited Bristol again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
just booked 4 nights Moreton-in-Marsh, over a weekend beginning of Sept, £199.70. Needed to use a credit note or would not be going, price jump is likely to back fire
We shall be there then also - it is the weekend of the M-in-M show - said to be the biggest in UK.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
A couple of weeks ago I was on a lovely Municipal site, where they only charged 14 Euro per night including 10A EHU. With a bar + restaurant and free swimming pool. That's almost a quarter of what the CAMC would charge this year in high season.

Just turn up, plenty of pitches available, uncrowded and very peaceful, no need for advance reservations or deposits. No wardens checking up on how the customer places his outfit on the (large) pitches. Wonderful. I can't wait to go back to France like I used to before Covid lockdowns.
Where is this please?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Where is this please?
See reply above. I based the price on the pitch fee, only one adult (me) and EHU. In addition I paid 20 centimes daily tourist tax. Total for one week - 98 Euros.

They held their 2022 tariffs for 2023 to keep it cheap for everyone including tent campers.

Having said that, the facilities blocks are in need of some TLC but you can't have everything brand spanking new for that sort of money.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I was only recently aware the CAMC has a Head of Governance - Ms Emma McQuillan.

Does this mean the Club has a Governance Department ... otherwise why the word "head" in the job title ...

I might understand regulatory compliance might require one or two staff, but still -

Can any Funster explain why the Club needs to spend Members' money on Governance?

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
‘Governance is a system that provides a framework for managing organisations. It identifies who can make decisions, who has the authority to act on behalf of the organisation and who is accountable for how an organisation and its people behave and perform.

Governance enables the management team and the board to run organisations legally, ethically, sustainably, and successfully, for the benefit of stakeholders, including shareholders, staff, clients and customers, and for the good of wider society.’

So……what do we make of that then…..?? :unsure:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Read somewhere that the CAMC are using Dynamic Pricing. i.e. If the site is busy the price goes up and vice-versa.
Sadly the CCC as well, had a bit of a shock when visiting a CCC site in North east England that casually dropped out in conversation the use of Dynamc pricing.

This sales technic perhaps explains why the CMC website no longer advises via a calander view pitch availability.

Tis supply and demand, BUT commercial sites offer the same or better for similar or less without a membership fee.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Just staying on Caravan and Motorhome Club site in centre of Great Yarmouth Racecourse, 101 pitches for M/Homes and caravans
I counted roughly 38 empty pitches and it's peak week !!

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
We will have been at 3 CMC sites by end of next week, all expensive but they gives what we want.

IMHO, sites in Europe / France may be cheaper but surely to have a fair comparison you need to factor in cost of ferry/tunnel, (dog costs, if relevant), some fuel costs that would be over and travel to a CMC site. Divide the total by number of nights stay abroad and add to their site fees and differences may not be that much, depending on length of stay. 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
comparison
Mhh, you’ve got a point but forgot to mention the weather, far better roads, motorhome friendly villages and towns and of course a visits to boulangeries 😀.

I’ve not done the sums but having completed a 10 week trip to France earlier this year I couldn’t have afforded to do that in the UK. even a 5 week trip we have planned at the end of Aug will, I’m sure, be better value in France than the UK.

Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
Having just looked at the Harrogate Showground Campsite which has full facilities and a Cafe/Restaurant for £27.00 per night I thought I would check the CAMC Site at Knaresborough for this week. £48.00 per night!!! They have defylost the plot!
Given that until 2009/10 this was run by CAMC I wonder what they’d be charging today?
maybe around £48.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
We will have been at 3 CMC sites by end of next week, all expensive but they gives what we want.

IMHO, sites in Europe / France may be cheaper but surely to have a fair comparison you need to factor in cost of ferry/tunnel, (dog costs, if relevant), some fuel costs that would be over and travel to a CMC site. Divide the total by number of nights stay abroad and add to their site fees and differences may not be that much, depending on length of stay. 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Is there another reason other than cost of pitch, that a third of pitches on the Great Yarmouth site are vacant, the site is about 5 minutes from the seafront, and then a nice walk along towards town , sandy beaches probably better than most.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018

Maybe but for us being able to buy the same wine we drink in the UK from a warehouse in Calais for £3-4 a bottle cheaper pays for the return crossing!! 48 bottles *£3.5 = £168

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back