Cambelt Replacement (2 Viewers)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As I was buying a 5 yr old MH I thought I was being right clever by getting a cam belt change in with the deal.

On collection I was told `the only thing we have`nt done is the cam belt, because it hasn`t got one, it`s got a chain, they don`t need replacing`

Have I been stitched up (again)???

It`s a Fiat Ducato 3.0 petrol (160 something or other is in there to).

Steve
i could be missing something here but i can find no reference whatsoever to a 3ltr PETROL ducato.

the only petrol version i can find is a 2.0ltr from 1981 to 2006...then they are all diesels.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
i could be missing something here but i can find no reference whatsoever to a 3ltr PETROL ducato.

the only petrol version i can find is a 2.0ltr from 1981 to 2006...then they are all diesels.

Think you have missed a couple of posts pappajohn

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Just got my 15 year old 35k miles ducato done as advised on here,
you guys told me to pay £200 or £2000 if it goes bang!
Paid £240 for cam belt and pulleys , service ,now i can relax :thumb:
The cam belt seemed ok BUT the alternator belt was split to pieces so good job it was done or i would have lost charge and water pump drive and cooked the engine costing ££££ :Eeek:
Thanks chaps for telling me straight and not to be so tight :thumb:

jelrick

Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
im a newbie
Just bought our first motorhome and pick it up next week. Its a 2005 Elnaugh Marlin Fiat Ducato 2.8 with 21000 miles. It had a major service in June 2011 and had its cambelt changed, so it looks like its more to do with time than miles. We are just planning our first trip and to be honest im a bit nervous of driving round the tight country roads but its not going to hold us back, cant wait.
John and Sue

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Just bought our first motorhome and pick it up next week. Its a 2005 Elnaugh Marlin Fiat Ducato 2.8 with 21000 miles. It had a major service in June 2011 and had its cambelt changed, so it looks like its more to do with time than miles. We are just planning our first trip and to be honest im a bit nervous of driving round the tight country roads but its not going to hold us back, cant wait.
John and Sue
It`s good fun out and about with your house on your back :thumb:
Don`t worry about the lanes--just think when driving down them that there are big delivery vans and bus drivers using them all day, so why should you be any different ? Just do it :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

paul005

Free Member
May 20, 2013
essex
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i am a newbie
Cam Belt

Hi,
ive just bought a 1993 Fiat Ducato 1929td. I know nothing about these motorhome engines and I was told by the seller that it has a timing chain not a belt so therefore no need to worry about the belt breaking.
I am very sceptical about this and im finding it difficult to believe its a chain not a belt. Its done 46000 miles now and I have nothing in the service record to say a belts ever been changed which again is worrying. Does any one know if this engine has a belt or chain?

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
@ Paul005 - I don't know these engines but in any case a great way to figure this out is to type into google something like "Fiat Ducato 1929 td cambelt" - I just did this and find plenty of cambelt kits for that engine so yes, it looks like you have a cambelt and not a chain.

For what it's worth, we bought our 1999 2.8 id TD last year with 75,000km on the clock. No record anywhere of any cambelt change so I had it done, along with the water pump and aux belt (which drives the power steering, alternator, brake servo vacuum and engine water pump). Cost around €700 in total and just a few months ago a coolant leak appeared which was coming from the 'new' water pump. Due to changing countries between the pump change and the leak appearing, it wasn't easy to have it replaced under guarantee so had it done again at around €400, oof.

As for the 2.3 being able to go 120,000km without a change, noooo way would I risk that even if it was being used every day! Seems far too far to me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back