Calor gas usage? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Does this sound about right?
13kg bottle lasts 6 days. Thetford fridge the one which is about 3 foot tall. Has a freezer box. Water boost about 1 hr a day. I thought I read here something like 2 to 3 weeks for a bottle. I'm not sure if the fridge needs an adjustment. Temperature is set to 2 blobs which gives around 3.5 degrees.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Sounds a tad greedy to me, but we only have a small fridge freezer.
The number of "Blobs" :LOL: you switch to, depends on the ambient temperature. Thats how we do it anyway..
We wild a lot and have our fridge on gas constantly, and our 11kg re-fillables each last about 3 weeks with cooking as well.
We only turn our gas boiler on for washing up and when we want a shower .
I think your usage of gas sounds excessive. I hesitate to say "look for any leaks", because I don't want to cause you any unwarranted worry.
Others may come on and tell you that your usage is ok for that type of fridge.
But what I have said is just OUR experience.
Good luck mate.
Mitch.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi again Ciffdale. I just saw that you are in Cornwall ! ! !
The land of my birth and where my heart is...
Mitch. :cry::cry::cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If you haven't cooked or had any heating on that sounds a lot of gas

Was it brand new when you started, it maybe came part empty, hard to believe but that is about the only thing I could suggest other than leak that you would smell.

Then repeat test see if same on next bottle

We have Alde heating / hot water, been away for several nights off grid since we filled up and still on first of 2 11kg bottles, and Bev has had heating on a few times, plus all cooking, hot water stays on all the time (our choice)

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
SORRY Folks..just bought a refill and it's a 7kg I'm using. This might change your thoughts about usage!

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Sounds very greedy indeed.
When we are away in the MH we almost never use sites or EHU so all our fridge freezer (we have the big tall type with separate freezer compartment), cooking on hob and in oven, hot water heating, and space heating is fuelled by lpg.
Each bottle of 12.5kgs of butane lasts us for 3 to 4 weeks in summer, and 2 to 3 weeks in winter.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
At this time of year, one of our 11kg bottles will last 2 to 3 weeks. Fridge ( standard size Dometic ) on all the time, water heater on 1 or 2 hours a day ( longer if I forget to switch it off) and gas rings on for coffee tea and meals mid day including the oven.
In the depths of winter with all the above and the heater on, we last about 9 days between fills.
I would say you are using way too much gas somehow.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
At this time of the year, no heating, hot water all day, hot drinks, some cooking, and the fridge / freezer I work on 6 kgs in seven days. One kg per day for safety.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A 14kg bottle lasts us 20-22 days, don't use EHU. Hot water on in the morning for a couple of hours, have the big 160lt fridge freezer. Heating used if we are in the mountains.

You either have a leak of you are drinking it.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
SORRY Folks..just bought a refill and it's a 7kg I'm using. This might change your thoughts about usage!
Even for a 7kg that sounds excessive, we just did two and a half weeks away, had EHU for 5 days, the rest was gas and solar, we didn't empty the gas bottle (6kg) in all that time, although I suspect it is now very close to empty. That was doing all the cooking in the van and heating the hot water when required by the way.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
For us it works out at about, give and take, ball park figure (You get it) about a month for a 10Kgs Gaslow bottle. Lots more in winter and especially with using the blown air Jet engine that is the heating.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
That's a lot. We have a big Thetford fridge freezer and when our electric element went down a couple of years ago we had the fridge on gas and half a bottle lasted three weeks including cooking and the BBQ.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
In the winter we recon on using a bit less than 1kg a day. With this van if the batteries are full then the panels run the fridge on electric so our usage is much much less probably about half. We do like to keep warm in winter and almost never have hook up and we have the big Tech Tower fridge.
So with a 7kg bottle your usage is about right by our reconning perhaps just a little high. But it really is "how long is a piece of string". As far as having a leak, I doubt it unless it is very small because in 6 days the bottle would be empty.
I always have a pressure gauge on my installation then when at home I turn the bottles off and check that the gauge doesn't go down. It did go to zero once in a week which alarmed me a bit, then I noticed that I had forgotten to change the rubber hoses and they were two years out of date. Changed to Gaslow stainless steel ones and the pressure will stay up for over a month (never not use the van for more than that). The rubber must have become very slightly porous. (which is interesting)
Steve

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
In the winter we recon on using a bit less than 1kg a day. With this van if the batteries are full then the panels run the fridge on electric so our usage is much much less probably about half. We do like to keep warm in winter and almost never have hook up and we have the big Tech Tower fridge.
So with a 7kg bottle your usage is about right by our reconning perhaps just a little high. But it really is "how long is a piece of string". As far as having a leak, I doubt it unless it is very small because in 6 days the bottle would be empty.
I always have a pressure gauge on my installation then when at home I turn the bottles off and check that the gauge doesn't go down. It did go to zero once in a week which alarmed me a bit, then I noticed that I had forgotten to change the rubber hoses and they were two years out of date. Changed to Gaslow stainless steel ones and the pressure will stay up for over a month (never not use the van for more than that). The rubber must have become very slightly porous. (which is interesting)
Steve

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Just come back from a month in France, new 13kg propane. Fridge on permanently when parked, 2 ish hours hot water per day, odd bit of cooking with oven/grill/hob. Bottle is just under 1/3 full. Only used EHU for 4 nights.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back