Calculate Your Precise payload

Jim

Ringleader
Joined
Jul 19, 2007
Posts
41,878
Likes collected
165,699
Location
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
1
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Since 1986
I want to re-do our work on average motorhome payloads. We last did this over ten years ago, when no one used lithium and most people travelled with full tanks.

I need to know the average payload of the average couple or the average family. So I've designed a calculator you can go through it adding everything you carry.

There's a section at the end where you can add item that I've forgotten to add. Pet Snake, Fish Tank etc.

If I've got any weights wrong, you can correct them. Once you've done that, let us know in this thread how much weight you required, and we can then start working out what a 2026 average is. Many Thanks.

My calculator is a work in progress, so if you break it, do let me know.

IMPORTANT: The calculator will only work after you have added two weights. your MAM and your MIRO or unladen weight).

A Bar will stick to the top of the page giving you essential info as you add inventory.

I look forward to seeing how much weight some of you are actually carrying.

Click> The Calculator is here
 
Last edited:
Good idea.
The custom items I can only see one of the 5 I added.
Need to add items that have been added to the van not in the MIRO, Hydralic jacks, Air suspension, additional solar panels on the roof etc.
Clothes only seemed enough for a few day but I suppose you can alter the weight.

Might be an idea to change WD40 to Silicon/PTFE spay as WD40 is damaging to a lot of plastics.
 
Let me test.. Did the weights up top move when you added them?
Didn't notice & I couldn't save it.

I know you can change the weights but a lot of people won't, spare wheel was in at 13kg, a 15" weights 25kg & 16" 30kg.
 
Didn't notice & I couldn't save it.

I know you can change the weights but a lot of people won't, spare wheel was in at 13kg, a 15" weights 25kg & 16" 30kg.

OK I fixed that Custom item. List all your custom items below now.

Thanks for the wheel weights. If you see any more that would have better default weights, let me know. (y)
 
Thanks for that. It would just be nice to work out what the average payload of a lot of Funsters is, and then we can give people confidence or not when they're buying.

Far too many vans are still being sold at 3500kg MAM with a payload that the average Funster will struggle with.

Roll on these license changes, and then no one will be using my calculator. '\
 
500kg used Jim. That's 2 people, our ebikes and carrier, blow up canoe and everything else that we normally carry.
BTW, your systems calculated all up weight, pretty much matches our all up weight on the weighbridge.
We were 100kg over the 3.5t that the van was registered at. We have already uplated to 4.0t to remain legal.
 
500kg used Jim. That's 2 people, our ebikes and carrier, blow up canoe and everything else that we normally carry.
BTW, your systems calculated all up weight, pretty much matches our all up weight on the weighbridge.

Now there is a thing that 10 years ago we didn't calculate.

Most people had bikes that weighed a max 15 kg, and now they weigh double or triple that. If you've got two of them, they can really eat into your payload.
 
Now there is a thing that 10 years ago we didn't calculate.

Most people have bikes that weighed a max 15 kg, and now they weigh double or triple that. If you've got two of them, they can really eat into your payload.

Over 10 years I suppose swapping out the lead acid for lithium almost negates the extra weight of e-bikes.
 
Our current van was driven by the seller to the nearest weighbridge, at my request, he thought it was strange for me to ask...no way, no payload no buy.
What was in the van needed to be added too, this is how we motorhome...
When our new van arrives, first port of call, local weighbridge, the same weighbridge will be used when we have loaded for first trip.
We weigh at the start of every extended trip...it cost 2 euros...I get a print out, this is there to show the Guardia Civil, who may or may not accept it, but more than anything, I do understand and care about the law...👮🇪🇦Your calculator will be an interesting addition Jim.
 
Over 10 years I suppose swapping out the lead acid for lithium almost negates the extra weight of e-bikes.
My 280 lithium weights much the same as the original 95 AGM that the converter included in the MIRO.
Our ebikes are 30kg each including the chargers, (which need to be included in the weight of every ebike). Decent gold standard bike locks are heavy.
Ebike carriers are heavier than non ebike carriers and on it goes Jim 😉
 
A very useful resource, many thanks. 395Kg for us, 2 people plus medium sized dog. I think it isn't far off based on a trip to the weighbridge last year. Having upgraded from 3500 to 4000Kg very recently we are well within the 4000Kg limit but I suspect the rear axle loading, though within limits won't have much leeway.
 
I want to re-do our work on average motorhome payloads. We last did this over ten years ago, when no one used lithium and most people travelled with full tanks.

I need to know the average payload of the average couple or the average family. So I've designed a calculator you can go through it adding everything you carry.

There's a section at the end where you can add item that I've forgotten to add. Pet Snake, Fish Tank etc.

If I've got any weights wrong, you can correct them. Once you've done that, let us know in this thread how much weight you required, and we can then start working out what a 2026 average is. Many Thanks.

My calculator is a work in progress, so if you break it, do let me know.

IMPORTANT: The calculator will only work after you have added two weights. your MAM and your MIRO or unladen weight).

A Bar will stick to the top of the page giving you essential info as you add inventory.

I look forward to seeing how much weight some of you are actually carrying.

Click> The Calculator is here
Thank Jim, works well. I had to add the calor gas bottles in the custom section, or did I miss them on the list??
 
My motorhome MAM is 5500kgs and it weighs about 4600kgs MIRO (with a driver).
I got to about 375kgs using the calculator.

That leaves me about 525kgs for other things.
 
Total payload 950kg, used 432kg remaining 518kg. I added the scooter as an extra as well 130kg including the rack

I must have left some stuff out though as when our van was weighed with just one driver in it it had 1050kg available and with us and all our stuff and the bike I think it was around 450kg left on the weighbridge.
 
Total payload 709kg, used 415kg, remaining 294kg.

We tend to travel with full water (120l) and at least 1/2 tank diesel so our 294kg remaining will be somewhat diminished.

Even so, the numbers from the calculator are in line with our last weighbridge figures and the weights from the brake test at MOT.
 
Good idea.
The custom items I can only see one of the 5 I added.
Need to add items that have been added to the van not in the MIRO, Hydralic jacks, Air suspension, additional solar panels on the roof etc.
Clothes only seemed enough for a few day but I suppose you can alter the weight.

Might be an idea to change WD40 to Silicon/PTFE spay as WD40 is damaging to a lot of plastics.
I carry all three sprays!
 
2 people,
we have a theoretical payload of ~ 600kg

I wasn't sure if the Thule awning was included in the MIRO or not so added it again - we didn't buy new
also added a 75/80% full tank of water using the 20l water container as not sure what allowance is made in the book miro.

so with those caveats, we are using approx 515 kg of the 600.

But - I added everything, winter and summer and seeing as we don't really have the room I am very good at swapping out the bbq for snow socks, wetsuit for fleeces etc , so in reality we have more 'headspace' and I should do this with two separate lists

This is a brilliant resource though, thank you :)
 
Our current van was driven by the seller to the nearest weighbridge, at my request, he thought it was strange for me to ask...no way, no payload no buy.
What was in the van needed to be added too, this is how we motorhome...
When our new van arrives, first port of call, local weighbridge, the same weighbridge will be used when we have loaded for first trip.
We weigh at the start of every extended trip...it cost 2 euros...I get a print out, this is there to show the Guardia Civil, who may or may not accept it, but more than anything, I do understand and care about the law...👮🇪🇦Your calculator will be an interesting addition Jim.
I'm good on payload.
Did the PVC conversion myself on a 2016 Ducato MWB max 3500Kgs.
When I got weighbridged we were in it along with all clothing and everything else we would take on a trip. Also had all tanks nearly full to give an almost worst case scenario.
Weighed in at 1600 front, 1500 rear.
Total available payload 400Kgs.
Can't use it as we were jam-packed.
That was 4 years ago and only change since then was me fitting 16" wheels in place of 15".
Reckon I'm still good.
 
First attempt - 434kg out of 750kg. 2 people (one under 75kg, one under 50) and a large dog (33kg).

We pay a lot of attention to the weight of everything and always have done. There are loads of things on that list that we just don’t have, electric items especially. And then we buy light versions of things, and only take minimal kitchen equipment.

Where we carry more than you assume - board games, food (if a long trip like Morocco) and clothes (again, if a long trip).
 
I was just trying to think of everything,

I doubt there are many who carry everything in that list but there will be some who do :LOL:

Yeah, I understand. It was a very interesting exercise, thanks.
 

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Log in

Already a member? Log in here.

Forum posts reflect the views of individual users and not MotorhomeFun.
MotorhomeFun does not endorse or verify user-generated content.

Back
Top