Calais (1 Viewer)

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
As i mentioned on another thread, stay clear of Calais. It's just not worth the risk.

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 286
May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Was at Ouistreham ( Caen ) the other day and saw a few hiding in ditches, mooching around the Carrefour ( I think it is ) supermarket on the way into the port.

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Should have said" mooching around the supermarket car park". Used Ouistreham many times and not seen them before. The police were driving around but not taking any notice

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We are heading south , good luck to them they will have a long walk back to Calais

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Do as you like with the information but it's pretty obvious this is happening despite some saying, "I was at such and such and saw nothing"

That guy in the OP report was shopping for cheap booze at Pidou, just off the main N216 port approach road, less than a mile from where The Swamp used to be. That's got to be an obvious spot for would-be hitch-hikers to be checking out GB plated vehicles, especially if their owners return from the store with a trolley full of bottles.

There are far safer places than that to be end of trip booze shopping. Nowhere near Calais Port springs readily to mind :)

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
We were there on Sunday, next door to Pidou is Calais Wines and Majestic despite the proximity of the previous camp we had not seen any migrants nr those shops for about 19 months and then it was the odd one or two. Sunday there were about 30 in the area, five milling around the outside of the Carpark and one keen chap trying cars, vans etc and being chased off by security.

Up by the Eurotunnel and Cite de Europe not a single one which I suspect is down to the heavy police presence along with all the security fencing and the flooding of the surrounding land providing less places to try to access.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
How many times have we heard that Calais must be avoided? We will carry on using Cite de Europe to overnight as we always have. We have always found the Gendarmes to be very proactive. Each to their own but most funsters can make their own minds up.
Bon Vacance.(y)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Worry, worry, worry, worry.

Fear the worst, disaster just around the corner.

Stress, tension, nightmares.

My goodness some folk don't half their knickers in a twist.

Life is good and ninety nine percent of people are kind and caring.

Enjoy.

JJ :cool:

Trouble is what if your that one person out of a hundred that gets, shot,stabbed,raped, Rolex and £2000 stolen?
It's all about the odds and if you feel lucky:LOL::LOL:

Edit, sorry forgot about being gassed aswell..

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Trouble is what if your that one person out of a hundred that gets, shot,stabbed,raped, Rolex and £2000 stolen?

I will be alreght then no Rolex and SWMBO won't let me have folding money;);)

Joe

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We came back through the tunnel on Sunday and there were police and army. I just happened to say to my other half that the army are only standing around rifles in hand when two came over to us in the long queue and asked to look in our outside locker. satisfied no one in there (about 2ft x 1ft locker) said the wanted to look in the MH. They did that and then said thank you and left. They were obviously being pro active.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉

Geez and I thought I had bad luck. Some days :(

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
Newbies to motorhoming - purchasedJune 2017
Rest assured migrants are all around the area of Calais & Coquelles. They generally are more active in the late afternoon & early evening & can be seen in big groups walking to the soup kitchens to get fed. They are particularly active at night under cover of darkness & will target any vehicles they believe are travelling to the UK. They will hide in the smallest imagineable spaces so please don't be complacent & be very vigilant. They love to hide under bike covers or throw out spare tyres & curl up inside the tyre cage underneath the van & will get in a locker after throwing contents out or hide under a double skinned floor. They often get it wrong & get aboard a vehicle heading away from the uk by mistake. Mornings are probably the safest time to shop for wine as the majority will be asleep having had a busy night trying to get in any vehicle they can that they believe is heading to the uk. The best advice is don't park up anywhere near lorries as they will jump from one vehicle to another & can be in a vehicle within minutes. If you do stop at cite Europe or anywhere close to the ports even for a toilet stop if van left on returning you should check every area of your van big enough for a person to hide.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Rest assured migrants are all around the area of Calais & Coquelles. They generally are more active in the late afternoon & early evening & can be seen in big groups walking to the soup kitchens to get fed. They are particularly active at night under cover of darkness & will target any vehicles they believe are travelling to the UK. They will hide in the smallest imagineable spaces so please don't be complacent & be very vigilant. They love to hide under bike covers or throw out spare tyres & curl up inside the tyre cage underneath the van & will get in a locker after throwing contents out or hide under a double skinned floor. They often get it wrong & get aboard a vehicle heading away from the uk by mistake. Mornings are probably the safest time to shop for wine as the majority will be asleep having had a busy night trying to get in any vehicle they can that they believe is heading to the uk. The best advice is don't park up anywhere near lorries as they will jump from one vehicle to another & can be in a vehicle within minutes. If you do stop at cite Europe or anywhere close to the ports even for a toilet stop if van left on returning you should check every area of your van big enough for a person to hide.
Is this from your own experiences or from what you have read in the Daily Mail?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We travel regularly to France via Calais at all times of the day and night and have done over the past 30+ years and have never seen these hoards of migrants, in fact I took my Mother in Law over last year while the papers were reporting then "making life for the locals intolerable". She was disappointed we didn't see any.
A couple of years ago we had one clinging on underneath our motorhome, discovered as we left the pet passport area. The whole place has been fenced off since.
I am sure there are times when the build up of these people gets quite large and just by their sheer numbers, people must find them intimidating. There have been reports of them damaging trucks and attacking drivers, but I am sure these are isolated incidents and rarely happen during the day. I am sure much worse happens in the UK on a daily basis.
We all know these desperate people are hanging around, so why shop at places, possibly late in the day, close to Calais, when all of France is able to sell you wine which is much better and much cheaper than those shops near the ports.
Don't avoid Calais, just shop elsewhere.
Just saying........

Jazzledog

Free Member
May 1, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588PL
Exp
Is this from your own experiences or from what you have read in the Daily Mail?

We watched 2 individuals being physically dragged from under a coach,in the car park where the motorhomes park,last year. The security guys said they were Somalis but they were allowed to brush themselves off and walk away. The coach was British and full of young teenagers who were obviously stocking up before returning to UK. I stayed in the Moho while my wife did the shopping, in less than an hour they were back, under a British registered horsebox this time. Police dragged them out, they were spoken to, still allowed to walk away.

Deleted User
Why are you all worrying about a few immigrants when Donald Trump and N. Korea are more than likely ending up going to war and heaven help us all!

Spongy

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Why worry? after Project fear Brexit and the UK a 3rd world country, they'll all be at Dover going the other way.

He said with tongue firmly in cheek!

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Stayed at Cite D'Europe last night no problems at all except for the blooming tugger who rocked up late and then used his whirligig to put his stays down...not impressed, noisy bugger. We did see about 5 immigrants 30 miles out on the E19. Traffic was a bit slow and they were just stood at the side of the road smiling. I doubt they would have tried much as they were in plain sight the whole time and the traffic wasn't actually stationary. The downside is that the French have had to close 3 of the off road stops before Calais so no picnics sadly. I think there were some at the port that had been picked up by the police but they were obviously on their way out. Would definitely stay there again, safety in numbers and all that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back