Free Member
Nov 16, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profilke
Exp
6 months
Thinking about buying one of these. I see there are 2 models ; one uses a screw in gaz cannister and the other uses a bottle or connects to an external gas point.

I am undecided about which to get. The screw in cannister can be used away from the MH....or the other side if it is windy, but the gas point connection means only using one source and cheaper gas.

Do they cook the same? I don't eat meat and want to use it to cook smelly curry outside , frying and other non meat BBQ.
Thanks

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have the low pressure one-plugs into our external bullfinch!
We've put a slightly longer hose on or and the bullfinch is at rear of van.
Cooks really well, spatchcocked a chicken the other day and it cooked in under an hour.
Awful lot of birds here!!!!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The screw in cannister can be used away from the MH....or the other side if it is windy, but the gas point connection means only using one source and cheaper gas.
Get a longer gas hose that reaches both sides when connect to van? You could always attached to a standalone gas cylinder and use elsewhere but means lugging that around.
ps, we've got the LP version as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I would say it depends on how often you intend to use it. If it is all the time, then you have to consider the cost of the gas. If it is periodically then replacement canisters are more convenient to use. I have the replacement type and the mobility of the unit far out ways the cost of the canisters. Look on line and at Go Outdoors and they always have bargain deals on canisters. I have just bought 8 for the price of 6, with discount as well, to make it much it cheapness.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Got a stoning deal on Amazon a few weeks ago, 8 Coleman gas canisters for £20.

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Used ours for the first time in the last few weeks very pleased cooks even and quick plugged into the vans supply nice bit of kit.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I have one and use a Calor Light cylinder which is easy to carry around. Cook's great, thoroughly recommend it.

Shademan

Free Member
May 6, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Campervan
Exp
Since 2014
We have the Cadac Safari Chef 2 LP. Definitely one of the best pieces of kit we've bought. Good variety of cooking options (Wok, griddle, pizza stone etc).

As cooking space is limited in our T5 we use the Cadac outside under the awning. Much hotter than our two burner cooker but the best thing is no more splashes onto the work surfaces and curtains which is almost unavoidable in a camper.

100% recommended.

Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
We love ours and have used it quite often.Plugs into the connection on the van and cooks really quickly.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have what i presume is the original Safari model which I use via the external gas point on the van but I also have an adapter which fits the cadac and lets you connect a small canister so it can be used away from the van as well :)

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Binned the Cadac this year and bought a Campinggaz 400st which plugs into my vans outside gas connection .
Super decision easy set up , easy cooking , easy cleaning, easy put away ...well pleased.

Reactions: Pia

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
I have one and use a Calor Light cylinder which is easy to carry around. Cook's great, thoroughly recommend it.
Me too but I also bought a 6 metre hose if I want to use the external point.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Awe have one and have several different tops but the Chefs Pan which is non stick is absolutely brilliant. 5 minutes to put it top and plug it in, bacon and eggs not long after :)

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
We are considering either a Cadac Carri Chef or the Grillogas, I would like it to plug into the vans outside gas connector point and be high enough to cook on stood up. Any tips or suggestions ?

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have a CarriChef and a Safari Chef 2. We do not have an external gas point, so I just connect it directly to the second gas bottle in the gas locker. This means that the gas pipe has a Cadac thumbscrew connection at the. Cadac end and a Calor thumbscrew regulator at the other end. If I want to use it away from the van, like in the garden at home, I can easily connect it to my spRe BBQ bottle. Now I know you can get an adaptor ( thanks @SMB) I might get a small canister so I can use it on the other side of the van or at the beach.

We tend to use the smaller one for breakfast for two: can cook 6 rashers and 4 sausages easily on the Safari, and the bigger one comes in useful when we are catering for 4 or more. We have Pizza stones for both and a Paella dish for the CarriChef. Alice is going to try a roast chicken dinner on it next weekend under the dome, so I'll try to remember to let you know how that goes.

The Saari is easy to set up. For a quick breakfast I just stand it on the ground and cook on it, sitting on a chair. This is a perfect height for the dogs to steal sausages of course, so care is needed! For longer sessions I usually stand it on a table, so there is somewhere to put my wine glass. The CarriChef has legs so easier on the back, and can cook from a standing position. It has a useful tray slung between the legs for holding tongs, etc

The Safari parts fit in a standard B&Q £1 bucket for carrying to the wash-up point, though for most meals, I find it easier to wipe out any grease whilst still warm with kitchen paper, then wash and dry in situe with a sponge and Fairy. The CarriChef parts are a bit too big to carry far to wash up.

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
I have what i presume is the original Safari model which I use via the external gas point on the van but I also have an adapter which fits the cadac and lets you connect a small canister so it can be used away from the van as well :)
Hi any links to this adapter please

tincan

Free Member
Sep 10, 2007
Funster No
I've been away from the forum for a while but wanted to share this with you all.

We have used a Safari Chef for two years now and earlier in Spring had a problem with the BBQ Grill warping. We contacted Cadac and their response was that it was all my fault for overheating the grill and when I told them that I never ran the grill above 300 degrees C their response was that if I didn't like what they were telling me to go to court.
We then went on holidays in June and the ignitor went belly up so I had to revert to a gas lighter for 5 weeks until I got home. I then took the whole shebang back to the dealer who supplied it who fixed the ignitor but he told me that there must have been a substantial fire in the lower part to cause the warping and the ignitor fault.
This was a mystery to me as I never leave the unit unattended but he told me that it is almost certain that a fire was sustained while the lid is on the unit without me noticing causing the temperature to rise above 500 C. Its a good piece of kit for cooking but the response from the manufacturers agent was appalling.

our local supplier did a deal on a new grill selling it to me for 50% of list and I'm watching it like a hawk when its lit. As we regularly grill duck breasts I suspect these were the culprits

Noel

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Cadac 2 cook deluxe Mk 2....wonderful piece of kit. It has 2 BBQ plates one ribbed the other flat. You can use both or either and there are also 2 pot holders to place over the burners....so it can be used as a cooker and/or you can cook a vegetable in a pan on one side whilst BBQ ing on the other. It weighs 6kg in it's rather neat bag. It has no legs so has to stand on a table or on the ground if you're very agile:D....it sizzles the produce so it gets wonderfully hot and the BBQ plates are REALLY easy to clean. Each plate is big enough for a large steak plus a sausage or 2....and in our household with one carnivore and one pescatarian this is an ideal arrangement and up to the usual Cadac quality. (We've had both the other Cadacs and still use the biggest one at home). We hook it up to the MH LPG with the quick release Cadac gas connector....whizzy doodle:DHighly recommend especially if weight is an issue(y)

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
What's the difference between the Safari Chef and Safari Chef Lite? Cadac website seems to show that the Lite is missing the smooth griddle plate. Is that important to have? I'll most be grilling meats. The griddle plate is useful for eggs and bacon?

Hi any links to this adapter please
The above link to the adapter is broken. Can someone post it again?

I have 2x 11kg GAS-IT bottles. Is it possible and easy to detach one of them from the auto changeover valve and attach it to the Cadac?

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Is the CADAC SAFARI CHEF 2 PRO QR variant worth it?

"Included with the Cadac safari Chef 2 Pro QR is the handy Pot Lid. When using the BBQ Lid as a pot simply add the pot lid to roast, steam, or boil food. This adds even more versatility to this already very versatile little BBQ!
Also included with the Safari Chef 2 Pro is the Cadac Quick Release Tail Piece. Screw this fitting onto the BBQ and then simply click your gas hose into place whenever it is needed. This means that there will be no need for tools when you are away."

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Most of the ones I've seen for sale are 28 mbar. I had a barbecue point installed on my 50 mbar system. Where can I buy a 50 mbar Safari Chef 2?

Or should I use a regulator to step the 50 mbar down to 30 mbar?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back