Cab Thatcham Deadlocks (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Been fitting the N/S this afternoon for a couple of hours. It's a bit scarey taking a drill and jigsaw to your van isn't it :eek:

20190118_143211.jpg

20190118_144649.jpg

20190118_153334.jpg

20190118_162736.jpg
20190118_162742.jpg

Not finished yet, I'm going to prime the edges of the keyhole then seal round with white nemesis sealant/adhesive under the escutcheon plate. The lock case will have a load of grease round it then bedded in on the same sealant (both riveted too of course :cool:)

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
My mates motorhome was broken into a couple of years ago by people unknown pulling hard from the outside on his motorhome windows and breaking the flimsy window catches. We have a good alarm and tracker fitted so leave the rest of the worry to our insurance company because we play them enough money each year for the .previllage.

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yes, perhaps we'll get a few quid off the insurance with these Thatcham ones. £159 a pair. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just finished sweetpea's side :love: got to put the catch in tomorrow but the door's finished. As good as factory fitted! And certainly better than a professional bodger would have done.

I've used screws rather than the supplied rivets because I wanted the plate pulled into the (not quite flat) door frame. The sealent/adhesive will be very strong when cured too.

20190119_151138.jpg

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
For the catch side, I've just got this:

20190119_153759.jpg

I've got to cut a rectangular hole in the frame. But I've got nothing to go behind it, I wouldn't want rainwater running in, it just doesn't seem right. I know house door frames have plastic inserts but they aren't big enough on this occasion.

Has the collective got any ideas?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Just finished sweetpea's side :love: got to put the catch in tomorrow but the door's finished. As good as factory fitted! And certainly better than a professional bodger would have done.

I've used screws rather than the supplied rivets because I wanted the plate pulled into the (not quite flat) door frame. The sealent/adhesive will be very strong when cured too.

View attachment 277992

Can they be unlocked from inside or are they only to use when your "out" ? I'm looking for something like that but need to be able to unlock from inside as well.

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Can they be unlocked from inside or are they only to use when your "out" ? I'm looking for something like that nut need to be able to unlock from inside as well.
They're for when you're out really but we could lock ourselves in on Aires :eek: ;) that's not as bad as it sounds, the habitation door is right next to the bed so we could always get out.

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
For the catch side, I've just got this:

View attachment 277995

I've got to cut a rectangular hole in the frame. But I've got nothing to go behind it, I wouldn't want rainwater running in, it just doesn't seem right. I know house door frames have plastic inserts but they aren't big enough on this occasion.

Has the collective got any ideas?

Brainwave! Looking at stainless steel sliding door handle inserts :love:

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Some of the mortice locks you can buy have a 'box' on the back but whether you can get them on their own I've no idea!

image.png

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The doors may be secure but are the windows?
Last summer I locked myself out (a long story) and decided to see if I could get in through a window without doing any damage. On the roadside I found a piece of wire and poked the main window catches open, taking about 3 minutes in all. I climbed in through the window and was seen by anyone passing on the adjacent main road, one person glanced back but nobody stopped me. This year I intend to buy those weird window catch devices I have seen at Motorhome shows that prevent people like me from getting in the van.
As it happened in my case, the missing keys were locked in the garage! Another long story.

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Last summer I locked myself out (a long story) and decided to see if I could get in through a window without doing any damage. On the roadside I found a piece of wire and poked the main window catches open, taking about 3 minutes in all. I climbed in through the window and was seen by anyone passing on the adjacent main road, one person glanced back but nobody stopped me. This year I intend to buy those weird window catch devices I have seen at Motorhome shows that prevent people like me from getting in the van.
As it happened in my case, the missing keys were locked in the garage! Another long story.
No the windows don't have any additional security catches on. I think the weakest part of the van is the cab doors. It's such common knowledge EVERYONE knows how to open them and they can get in and out (leg it) easily.

The thing I like about the locks I've put on is that they're easily visible and in all probability the thief won't even bother trying. The locks on the inside however, do work but by the time the thief has found out the door won't open he/she has done damage to the van.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last May I locked my keys in the garage & the boss's in the van, tried the window, they were quite tight and didn't want to do any damage. Luckily we were ay the boss's brother so I got my daughter to post the spare hab key. Good job vans come with 3 hab keys.:)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

I’m pleased you got sorted,however,should you have? As you say are the window secure and the answer is quit obviously NO.
I am at a loss to understand why we accept the current situation that’s actually gone on forever, these polycarbonate windows are crap (sorry) but it doesn’t matter what catches you fit etc etc,they will prise open without much effort and additionally if you give them a clout with a hammer or heavy object they fall apart,I have seen no end of windows taped with masking tape here in Spain when this as happened.
For goodness sake why don’t the manufacturers get their heads around this you can go out and buy Concorde,Morrelo, etc etc at £250k+ with all the bells and whistles but the windows are, I best leave it there but you know what I’m saying.

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
20190120_134457.jpg

And so my journey draws to a close. I'd like to thank Amazon for their super 1 day delivery that only cost me 2 extra quid :love: and all my funster friends that offered support and encouragement throughout this awesome achievement. Hopefully none of you have died of indifference :LOL:
I will now be open to any questions you may have.

Thank you :D2

PS oh bollox I've got the other side to do yet :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back