Cab battery (1 Viewer)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Had the Moho Mot'd yesterday no probs apart from cab battery they say it needs replacing, not had any problems starting but it has been left longer than normal due to covid but it is topped up via solar. I think I know the answer but before I go out and spend my hard earned beer money what do the experts think looking at the results of the test below, I take it that it's lost 305A capacity.

Midtronics load test

Voltage 12.48
Measured 495A EN
Rating 800A EN

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I didn't realise the battery was part of the MOT!
Sorry Brian, no it's not, I had a low mileage service at the same time, apologies for the confusion.
While I'm at it give mine and Hazel's regards to Joyce, we must catch up somewhere when this virus malarkey is over.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Sorry Brian, no it's not, I had a low mileage service at the same time, apologies for the confusion.
While I'm at it give mine and Hazel's regards to Joyce, we must catch up somewhere when this virus malarkey is over.
Thanks Dane, no apology required I'm permanently confused.:doh:
It has been too long since we met up and look forward to catching up with you both when things improve.:cheers:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Looks and sounds fine to me !
John, does it not matter that the cold cranking amps have nearly halved then?

Midtronics load test

Voltage 12.48
Measured 495A EN
Rating 800A EN

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Depends on how the test was done, probably voltage and current draw monitered during a start cycle. The starter motor will only draw the current it needs to turn the engine over. If the engine has loosened up after initial run in period and was warm it may not need so much to start.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Midtronics load test

Voltage 12.48
Measured 495A EN
Rating 800A EN

Do we know what was actually measured? If might have just been measuring what the starter motor demanded, rather than what the battery was capable of.

If the starter sounds fast and unlaboured, I wouldn't worry about it.

Generally speaking, a knackered battery shows up first with reduced storage capacity, which is very hard to measure. They generally appear to the outside world as healthy, but smaller batteries, until it gets so bad that the CCA can't support a start, or the voltage is no longer capable of being brought up.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Midtronics load test

Voltage 12.48
Measured 495A EN
Rating 800A EN
What is drawn is not battery related unless you tie it in with a low voltage and then the draw would go up not down
And your quiescent voltage is spot on ( perhaps even a little high, but as there is no indication of when the voltage was checked it really is not a lot of help either way

If the garage just relied on the readings from a digital battery tester how many tests were done, and under what circumstances ?
Digi testers are great IF used correctly, which involves at the very least 3 tests at least 2 hours apart ( and that two hours really is a minimum ! )
Tests should be carried out when

Completely cold
When hot
When on charge
Immediately off charge
2 hours after last charged

Bottom line.. If the motor cranks normally when freezing cold, that is the proper test of the health of a battery :)
Yes, batteries loose capacity with age but they do that right from the day of manufacture

Last thought... How old is the battery ?
I change my cab battery at 5 years as a matter of course.. Proly OTT really but I have never been lucky with batteries :)

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Batt could be 7 years old as the van is 2013 and I have had it 4 years and not changed the battery.

The Midtronics test looking on you tube is just a matter of connecting the meter across the battery entering the parameters and pressing the button, it does not require the engine being started.

For peace of mind I will replace it as these things seem to go tits up at the most inappropriate time and place.

Thanks for all the input guys.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If you will not be using the van over winter, replace it in the spring. No point in changing it before you need it

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Batt could be 7 years old as the van is 2013 and I have had it 4 years and not changed the battery.

The Midtronics test looking on you tube is just a matter of connecting the meter across the battery entering the parameters and pressing the button, it does not require the engine being started.

For peace of mind I will replace it as these things seem to go tits up at the most inappropriate time and place.

Just replaced the vehicle battery in our 2013 Frontier as it was the factory fitted original and was starting to struggle in keeping charge. Did it now as during the winter less sun to keep battery charged and didn't want the airbag ECU issue again.:crying:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Can I have your old one then as I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
It's not like a leisure battery being subject to hundreds of discharge/recharge cycles which is what kills them over time.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Two years ago my 2011 Pug Boxer was struggling a bit with cold starting

I found out there are 2 sizes of battery that can be fitted, mine had the smaller of the 2

I replaced it with the larger size - I checked first to ensure that there was nothing fitted by the converters to get in the way

I'm posting this as my battery at the time was the same age as the OP's battery now and suggesting that if the larger one will fit, it may be good idea....

Larger battery size is: 354L x 175W x 190H

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009

I'll second that. My cab battery failed while in France last year. A Fiat professional workshop changed it for the princely sum of €427.00 o_O

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I'm posting this as my battery at the time was the same age as the OP's battery now and suggesting that if the larger one will fit, it may be good idea....

[/QUOTE]
No idea what size it is but I will replace with a mid range one.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013

No idea what size it is but I will replace with a mid range one.
[/QUOTE]

The larger one is obviously more powerful, so worth checking if it will fit

In terms of 'mid range' I normally spend a little bit extra on Yuasa - good batteries at a reasonable price

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
When I said mid range I was talking about AH. I will go for a Varta they are exactly the same as Bosch but slightly cheaper and have served me well in the past.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
When I said mid range I was talking about AH. I will go for a Varta they are exactly the same as Bosch but slightly cheaper and have served me well in the past.
The battery that came out of our 2013 Savannah a couple of weeks ago was 353 x 175 x 190 and I replaced it with this - https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx5019/
It was a toss up between that and this - https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/h3/

Having said that the "box" for the battery (in front of the passenger seat) looks like it will take a longer battery as there is a removable stop on the base that "extends" the floor length. Just need to watch it doesn't impact the vent pipe as it runs out through this space.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
The H3 Varta is what I had in my last van and was happy with it. Out of interest why did you favor the Yuasa?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The H3 Varta is what I had in my last van and was happy with it. Out of interest why did you favor the Yuasa?
Spoke with Tayna and asked either \ or and their response was "both very good (along with an Exide option) and both 5 year warranty (for all a battery warranty can be - my words!) so save £7-8 and go for the Yuasa". The Yuasa is c1.4 kg heavier so does that mean more lead? Who knows. So went for that.

ps I have a Varta LFD90 leisure battery fitted a year or two ago and it's doing well.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Checked the current cab battery this morning and it's the original Fiamm, the van registered may 2013 so probably built sometime in 2012 so it's done extremely well.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Checked the current cab battery this morning and it's the original Fiamm, the van registered may 2013 so probably built sometime in 2012 so it's done extremely well.

Are you sure you've not just broken into my garage?:swear2::swear2:
That's exactly the same as the one I replaced a few weeks back on our 2013 van.:Smile:

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Are you keeping the old one to take to lourdes for a miracle cure:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Something similar. The scrapy for ready cash!
What did you eventually decide on as the replacement?

As I have had good use out of them before I went for the Varta £99.50 inc delivery from Battery Megastore on fleabay as it was £5 quid cheaper than getting it off their own website, work that one out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back