Cab battery level mystery (1 Viewer)

Apr 2, 2021
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2020
Hi, can anyone help a newbie - new to this forum and a new campervan owner - with a cab battery issue? The battery is showing practically empty, about 4V, on my control panel, but there's no warning light on the dashboard and the engine starts without problem. Could the reading be faulty, and if so what's the likely cause? I read somewhere that it might be something to do with the fuse for the solar panels. Many thanks for any input.

OP
OP
Gonestravaiging
Apr 2, 2021
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks for that, and for the welcome! I don't have a multimeter but I'll pick one up today. Think it may be a display problem. Lots to learn.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Thanks IanRJ, it is a Sargent unit.
If you have a manual for the unit, look for the recalibrate item. Some times the scale of the levels is out of sync with the units of actual measurement. I think it will be under the extended or dealer menu. Don’t have my van at the moment so can’t check how to do it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gonestravaiging
Apr 2, 2021
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2020
Hi, yes it was the cab battery. I plugged the van in overnight and this morning there was another development - none of the electrics working in the van. Turned out it needed a new 20V fuse on the Sargent unit. Now the control panel is showing the cab battery back at 13V. Not sure why that would affect the battery reading - but at least I am now the owner of a multimeter. Many thanks for all your suggestions. Delighted I've joined up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Turned out it needed a new 20V fuse on the Sargent unit. Now the control panel is showing the cab battery back at 13V. Not sure why that would affect the battery reading
Many MHs don't have a separate wire for measuring the battery voltages. They use any wire already there, maybe for the fridge or the split charge relay for charging the leisure battery. A 20A fuse is the standard value for a 3-way fridge 12V element.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back