May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Funsters,
My wife has just received a renewal invite for her driving license at the age of 70. She has never driven our MH, but is insured for it 'just in case' an accident/ill-health should ever happen to me. She's confident she could drive it in an emergency, although she has doubts about applying the Ducato handbrake!
So, we have a conundrum I have never seen addressed:-

a) Does she apply for the C1 extension renewal to her pre-1997 license knowing it will probably never be needed/used?
b) Is there a cost to renew this again in 3 years ie obtaining a doctor's/D4Doctors certificate again to keep C1?
c) Is there likely to be a change in the law soon so that she could drive a 4 Tonne MH without the C1 extension?

I have all this to come in 18 months' time (yes, I'm her Toy Boy) but as the main driver, I have only one option.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have an admittedly cavalier attitude to some risks.If there is a real emergency, my wife will step in irrespective
I'd do the same. I doubt that the police would make a big fuss about her not having the appropriate licence which would generate a relatively insignificant fine and a couple of points.
A bit more serious would be the penalty for driving whilst not insured (no licence for that class of vehicle) in the event of an accident as I would think that the insurers would be entitled to decline to cover the costs regardless of who was at 'fault'.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have had to drive ours in a couple of emergency situations. I was glad I had the license and insurance or we would have been stuffed.

At the moment I don't have a license as I had an issue with balance when I had covid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
If your Motorhome is registered at over 3,500 kg with the DVLA, it will of course not be legal for your Wife to drive after 70 without a C1 licence entitlement. This will require the usual medical/eyesight approval. This will have to be renewed every 3 years to keep this entitlement. If she drives without this, it is also likely to invalidate your insurance. Only you can decide if these are risks worth taking in the unlikely event of an “emergency”.

Given that the Government has some rather serious issues to deal with at the moment, I doubt there will be a change in the law you mention any time soon, nor the likelihood of getting the necessary international agreement to make such a change valid if driving outwith the UK.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If she has no medical issues just get her to request the D2 and D4 forms from the DVLA ,make an appointment with D4 drivers docs ,at around £55 and apply for the C1. If no medical issues it will be issued fairly quickly. There is no extra cost just the medicals again at the next 3 years if the law changes then it may just affect you in 18 months time, I wouldn't bank on your wife waiting for the change just get her C1 now.

Dec 23, 2020
Scotland Central
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
Since 2014
Hello Ian Penny,
C1 renewal after 70 years of age can be a nightmare.
Medical and eyesight test every three years or if there is an issue it can be every year.

My wife has had to wait 11 months for her license to be issued - and - only for 1 year.
You can drive in the uk when it is being processed under a sect 88 - but not in europe.

I will be de - rating the tonnage to 3.5t soonest.

Travel well and travel safely.

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
My wife has never driven our vans and never would. Although she was added to the insurance every year as for some reason it was always cheaper.
She turned 70 three years ago and hasn't renewed her licence. I've not bothered either and we are quite happy with the 3.5 tonnes limit.
I know that if do need to get the van back in an emergency either of my two sons would be happy to come over and drive us back.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
If someone drives over 3500kg without a C1 they are not only unlicensed but not insured.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
I'd do the same. I doubt that the police would make a big fuss about her not having the appropriate licence which would generate a relatively insignificant fine and a couple of points.
A bit more serious would be the penalty for driving whilst not insured (no licence for that class of vehicle) in the event of an accident as I would think that the insurers would be entitled to decline to cover the costs regardless of who was at 'fault'.
There is also the slightly inconvenient dilemma of walking home after the vehicle is seized for 'no licence'!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Your insurance will probably provide a relief driver to get you home if you are incapacitated? We are with LV as my wife can’t drive never has🤔😊

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am the only driver of mine SWMBO decided that she could not drive it, pedals too far away etc so I pay the extra to not have her on the insurance (extra cost as if I am incapacitated they will need to recover/repatriate.)

OP
OP
ian4apenny
May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
If your Motorhome is registered at over 3,500 kg with the DVLA, it will of course not be legal for your Wife to drive after 70 without a C1 licence entitlement. This will require the usual medical/eyesight approval. This will have to be renewed every 3 years to keep this entitlement. If she drives without this, it is also likely to invalidate your insurance. Only you can decide if these are risks worth taking in the unlikely event of an “emergency”.

Given that the Government has some rather serious issues to deal with at the moment, I doubt there will be a change in the law you mention any time soon, nor the likelihood of getting the necessary international agreement to make such a change valid if driving outwith the UK.

Thanks Millcourt, a very helpful reply. We certainly won't risk a fine or non-insurance, so will probably get SWMBO a C1 license and see what has changed in the law (if anything) in 3 years time.

OP
OP
ian4apenny
May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
If she has no medical issues just get her to request the D2 and D4 forms from the DVLA ,make an appointment with D4 drivers docs ,at around £55 and apply for the C1. If no medical issues it will be issued fairly quickly. There is no extra cost just the medicals again at the next 3 years if the law changes then it may just affect you in 18 months time, I wouldn't bank on your wife waiting for the change just get her C1 now.

Thanks a lot. That's a plan then.

OP
OP
ian4apenny
May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Hello Ian Penny,
C1 renewal after 70 years of age can be a nightmare.
Medical and eyesight test every three years or if there is an issue it can be every year.

My wife has had to wait 11 months for her license to be issued - and - only for 1 year.
You can drive in the uk when it is being processed under a sect 88 - but not in europe.

I will be de - rating the tonnage to 3.5t soonest.

Travel well and travel safely.
Thanks Pilote 270. Hmmm, de-rating. That's an option.

OP
OP
ian4apenny
May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
My wife has never driven our vans and never would. Although she was added to the insurance every year as for some reason it was always cheaper.
She turned 70 three years ago and hasn't renewed her licence. I've not bothered either and we are quite happy with the 3.5 tonnes limit.
I know that if do need to get the van back in an emergency either of my two sons would be happy to come over and drive us back.
Thanks. All good, letting our son loose on it might be a bit too far though!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
If for some reason she was checked and she had no insurance due the category the vehicle can be crushed .....

OP
OP
ian4apenny
May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Blimey, can't be having that! I think the C1 route beckons anyway, as I see that it is relatively easy to keep the C1, but so difficult to get back.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The first thing that needs to happen is for her to drive it, if she is unhappy about doing so then there's no point in her keeping the C1 entitlement. The last thing you'd want is for her to find this out if there was an emergency and she had to drive it as there was no other option, ie no insurance provided driver due to there being a 'qualified' one already available.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Expecting someone to drive a large motorhome that they have never driven following an emergency event is in my opinion potentially highly dangerous and I don’t understand why people do it. Either get some practice in and keep the licence or give up the licence and change your insurance for all our sakes.

Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
BTW regarding your wife’s difficulty with the Ducati handbrake I assume that it is due to its low position? If so you can get an extension handle for it - which makes it so simple to use. I have one fitted and find it great. Just type in “Ducati Handbreak Extender” into Ebay or Google.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
ian4apenny this might help…….

Had one on our previous Ducato based van, which my Wife found helpful. Our recent new van has an electronic handbrake, so we did not need to keep it and sold it a few weeks ago to another Funster who advertised one wanted in the MHFun Classified Ads.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
If you have problems releasing the handbrake when it is on securely (on a hill) put the vehicle into reverse lift clitche and rock slightly pulling up handbrake and it will release easily. Don't try this with the electric ones ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back