Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 2, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Im a newbe
Hi guys and would just like to pick a few brains if I may ! My C1 licence is coming up for renewal in Nov and had a long wait of about 6 months are last time as I did use D4 Drivers for my medical but because I had a heart attack and I stent put in 5years earlier I think it rung a few alarm bells and had to go to my local hospital and do a 9 min jogging test on a tread mill which I passed O
K. Now I'm a bit worried incase I have to do the 9 Min jogging test again as I fell of a ladder late Jan and broke 2 ribs and punctured my lung and although I am on the mend I don't think I could manage 9 min on the tread Mill again as I do get a little short of breath now after my fall ! Any ideas great appreciated! Regards Cliffyboy !

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The D4 medical is nothing more than a box ticking exercise. Yes your GP should have your medical records to hand, but that doesn't mean a great deal.

I worked for a large bus company - with about 300 drivers in our garage alone - they used there own doctor, and basically if you could walk in through the door, hear what he said and walk out again without walking into the door frame, you passed.

D4 medicals rely on the applicant being honest with whoever does the medical - I'm sure somebody who allegedly had 7 stents should have failed his D4 or been referred, he never admitted to them and continued to drive a bus.

Another driver who was on annual D4's due to age, with problems, could wait 9 months for a decision form DVLA and would get his license back in time for the next renewal paperwork to arrive. All the time still driving a double deck bus.

I just hope that in 2 years time when I have to do a D4 medical - I have problems, but DVLA says I can continue to drive Group 1 - which covers C1 on grandfather rights, but will become Group 2 when I turn 70.

Having had to deal with the incompetents at DVLA during C19, i won't be looking forward to this.

I agree with you about the tick-box aspect of the D4 Medical, which even with my own doctor relies on the information I supply.

As for your D4 at 70 the medical covers all groups of licences from C1 through to C+E and all D categories too. Complications could depend on what your 'problems' are - no, don't tell us.

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
I agree with you about the tick-box aspect of the D4 Medical, which even with my own doctor relies on the information I supply.

As for your D4 at 70 the medical covers all groups of licences from C1 through to C+E and all D categories too. Complications could depend on what your 'problems' are - no, don't tell us.
No secret, just a (very) minor stroke, if it hadn't been for the 3 month ban from my consultant, I wouldn't of had to inform DVLA.
But even a TIA (mini stroke) will get you a 12 month ban for C & D categories - which I only relinquished after a balls up by DVLA during C19 - so not sure what hoops I'll be expected to jump through.

Doesn't help that I'm part way through an up plate with the MH, it'll keep us legal and make life easier (HPC self levelling).

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
My GP went through my medical records carefully and put everything on the form including heart attack, stent, and sleep apnoea. The DVLA turned it round in less than 2 months but I have a feeling I might still be waiting now if they had got that information from a doctor without proper access to my medical records. Perhaps it helped that I had already had to notify them of the important health matters.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
My GP went through my medical records carefully and put everything on the form including heart attack, stent, and sleep apnoea. The DVLA turned it round in less than 2 months but I have a feeling I might still be waiting now if they had got that information from a doctor without proper access to my medical records. Perhaps it helped that I had already had to notify them of the important health matters.
For the additional cost it's always better to go to your GP.

As you say full access and referrals back to GP

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
On the guidence notes from D4drivers it says you have to have photographis evidence of BP readings on 3 seperate days, is just a photo of the machine readout screen ok or do I have to be in the picture with the readout?

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
On the guidence notes from D4drivers it says you have to have photographis evidence of BP readings on 3 seperate days, is just a photo of the machine readout screen ok or do I have to be in the picture with the readout?
If you have any medical issues go to your GP
As it will probably be referred back to them anyway.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I just gave the Doc a piece of paper with my readings written on it.

Upvote 0

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Well nearly. had a heart attack today on daily checking website since March [without hope !] to see if licence sorted ... was on verge of penning another complaint when !!! (y)I have a full licence with class one.

But

It's only for a year ? Why and what ? I thought that it was a 3 year licence and I have no specified conditions which should have been on the application in the first place . What do I do ? Will they tell me why it isn't for 3 years ?- I cant face the ordeal of going through the strangling inefficiency again next year .... any advice ? xx thank you

Upvote 0

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
If you had a C or CE on your previous licence then all categories will be renewed

Hgv C&CE are only renewed yearly after the age of 70 young years

You may want give up the C&CE if you don’t use them anymore

Then your c1 should be renewed for 3 years
👍

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Well nearly. had a heart attack today on daily checking website since March [without hope !] to see if licence sorted ... was on verge of penning another complaint when !!! (y)I have a full licence with class one.

But

It's only for a year ? Why and what ? I thought that it was a 3 year licence and I have no specified conditions which should have been on the application in the first place . What do I do ? Will they tell me why it isn't for 3 years ?- I cant face the ordeal of going through the strangling inefficiency again next year .... any advice ? xx thank you
Depends on health issues. My C1 was only renewed for 2 years earlier this year because by 3 years it would be over 3 years since my last stress test. The letter that came from the DVLA said something about needing to check health issues at that time. I will not bother and will revert to a basic B license, taking another stress test is not something I am prepared to do. I have heard of C1 renewals being 1, 2 or 3 years because of health issues.

We have already downsized to a :h:500kg van and are already really enjoying it. Without any painful pruning we have reduced what we carry and weighed in fully loaded at 3420kg. 😀

Upvote 2
Nov 15, 2023
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
If you had a C or CE on your previous licence then all categories will be renewed

👍
C & C+E renewal every year after 65 years young

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you are unable to do an exercise stress test you can have a dopamine stress test. You are injected with dopamine which makes your heart race , putting it under strain to see how it performs “under stress”. You are obviously monitored the whole time. The sensation isn’t entirely pleasant. Not unlike a panic attack as you’re sitting still.

This is the DSE , Dopamine Stress Echocardiogram .
Just a quick query but what if you can't do either the treadmill or the DSE? I am sensitive to ultrasound gel and allergic to ECG pads.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Gosh Helen I’m afraid I don’t know. You are such a rarity I’m not even sure how to find out

It doesn't matter as I have surrendered my driving licence. I don't think I am safe to drive and I'd rather surrender voluntarily than be forced to hand it back.

I have also cancelled my name on the vehicle insurance - now only Martin and a friend/neighbour are named on the insurance.

I won't drive if I think I am unsafe.

Upvote 0

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Depends on health issues. My C1 was only renewed for 2 years earlier this year because by 3 years it would be over 3 years since my last stress test. The letter that came from the DVLA said something about needing to check health issues at that time.
Thank you Pausim- but I have not done a stress test - all I did was turn up to D4D and they added an irrelevant illness post treatment. I have been stressed half to death with the ongoing issues ! Stress test is last thing I need next year ! Maybe they will write to explain ... but thank you again Kirsten

Upvote 0

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010

👍
Thank you .. need to check licence again as my oncologist rang when filling out form and was puzzled as to why I would be driving buses .. dont think I ever had HGV c and CE .. but with the the current 💩show from DVLA they may have decided my [non started ] long distance lorry driving days are over ....

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Thank you Pausim- but I have not done a stress test - all I did was turn up to D4D and they added an irrelevant illness post treatment. I have been stressed half to death with the ongoing issues ! Stress test is last thing I need next year ! Maybe they will write to explain ... but thank you again Kirsten
Stress test comes with heart problems, not relevant to other types of illnesses. In your case it looks like the DVLA have latched on to some other health issue.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Thank you .. need to check licence again as my oncologist rang when filling out form and was puzzled as to why I would be driving buses .. dont think I ever had HGV c and CE .. but with the the current 💩show from DVLA they may have decided my [non started ] long distance lorry driving days are over ....
After the major issues I had with the DVLA some years back my licence had C and C+E when I finally received it. I was advised to keep quiet as I would not be driving 44 tonne trucks with trailers and as I had my B and C1 (but no E with them) that was okay.

The licence after that was fully correct with no C or C+E and the +E part on the B and C1 was restored.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2008
I would worry about a treadmill test. I used to race ironman triathlons but can no longer run (or jog) due to chronic calf muscle problems. Now if they set me up on a C2 that would be a different matter.

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
I used D4Drivers on my over 70 renewal. I had to provide my BP info, too, but I’m certain that it wasn’t in photographic form, just written down following a phone call to my GP. This was just the last 3 BP readings recorded on my medical record.

If it helps, I think that you are entitled to a copy of your medical data from your GP for free under the Data Protection Act. I guess you could take pics of the relevant BP readings, say, on your mobile phone, perhaps.

In my case, following my application using the D4D completed form, the DVLA made subsequent contact with my GP for further clarification on certain aspects. Although I had to consent to this beforehand, it didn’t cost me anything. I understand that the DVLA pays my GP for such info. 😏

Upvote 0

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Hi helpful people.
Just had a letter saying my licence will be with me in a few weeks but it is issued for only a year with restrictions on C1E: D1: and D1E. I dont want or need these categories- I have written to them several times to say this as my oncologist said she was surprised I was driving a bus when she rang to say she had had the forms.
No restriction on the C1 itself . I passed test before 1997 so am happy on grandmother rights ... I did take a minibus test when I worked for a day hospital many years ago , but dont tow or drive passengers now.
Can I ask for the C1E D1 and DIE [!] to be removed- and get my C1 only for 3 years or is it a case of have one you have to have them all ? Our moho is over 3500, we may downsize in next 3 years , but no plans to do so now . The thought of ever having to deal with DVLA again is making me ill :LOL:
I am hoping to phone the number they gave me to discuss an appeal , but if the categories are tied up together I expect I will have to bite the bullet next year instead . Thanks in advance xx

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
I think that these categories automatically accompany the C1 as standard.
I have them in my license, too.

I don’t know that having them removed would make any difference to the length of your licence. As Pausim indicated, the length of your license is likely to be associated with a specific medical condition.

C1E just means C1 vehicle with a trailer. The normal restriction applied is a limit to a maximum train weight (i.e. vehicle plus trailer weights) of 8250Kg.
D1 allows you to drive minibuses (not full sized busses, for clarification) but NFHR. (Not For Hire or Reward.)
D1 allows you to drive minibuses plus a trailer, again NFHR. (Presumably, the total train weight restriction applies here, too?)

Upvote 0

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you Fred and Denisejoe ! You info makes sense...
Spent 3 hours on phone on Monday - got nowhere but have emailed 3rd complaint [no reply to the first two - that was part of complaint !] I have never seen my doctor for years- so I expect they have no idea who I am ... Recently been under oncologist but have no medical conditions the DVLA state are referrable on the website so very confused ?? Cant find out why they think I am medically unfit .
Had letter today with licence saying I DONT need to send any medical info when I renew next year [why ? if refused 3 years on medical grounds?] but I am not looking forward to another 6 months without a licence and not being able ti drive abroad because of this. But glass half full I have my licence at last xx K

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Thank you Fred and Denisejoe ! You info makes sense...
Spent 3 hours on phone on Monday - got nowhere but have emailed 3rd complaint [no reply to the first two - that was part of complaint !] I have never seen my doctor for years- so I expect they have no idea who I am ... Recently been under oncologist but have no medical conditions the DVLA state are referrable on the website so very confused ?? Cant find out why they think I am medically unfit .
Had letter today with licence saying I DONT need to send any medical info when I renew next year [why ? if refused 3 years on medical grounds?] but I am not looking forward to another 6 months without a licence and not being able ti drive abroad because of this. But glass half full I have my licence at last xx K
Have they mixed up the C1 and D1categories with the higher level Cat 1 C and D categories? Usually the +E seems to make no difference to restrictions but I believe the C and D (without the 1 suffix) need more frequent review.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back