C1 provisional licence (1 Viewer)

DanKinnie

Free Member
Jun 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailie Autograph 816
Hi all, new to this forum. Hoping for some help please.

After having several amazing family Motorhome holidays with rentals we took the decision to buy a Motorhome.

We bought a Bailey Autograph 8-16 which requires a C1 licence. We’ve applied to a provisional from the DVLA so we can sit our test but the DVLA is taking ages and when we contact them their stock response is that they got a back log and they’re working through as fast as they can.

Does anyone know how long they’re taking at the moment?

We’re desperate to get out in our new Motorhome and start booking some summer pitches but I’ve read it could be months before we get something back from them.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
That s going to be bigger job than most people understand. It will require a lot of side learning about how th use a lorry and the tachograph rules plus a CPD to be carried out regularly and medicals renewed according to age. Motorhome should be given a class of their own but even a professional coach and bus driver nedds to go the route of lorry licence to obtain a C or C1 and still no trailer licence without another specials class training and test..

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Firstly welcome to the home of helpful fun.
Is it because your too young to have one, I'm guessing it is, lucky you on the young side at least.
The DVLA have been on strike, that will have created a backlog on it's own.
Sorry I can't help with an answer, but I hope you get sorted soon.

OP
OP
D

DanKinnie

Free Member
Jun 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailie Autograph 816
Firstly welcome to the home of helpful fun.
Is it because your too young to have one, I'm guessing it is, lucky you on the young side at least.
The DVLA have been on strike, that will have created a backlog on it's own.
Sorry I can't help with an answer, but I hope you get sorted soon.
Thank you. Yes, both my wife and I are 35.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
All I can suggest is trying to put your name down with some local test centres on their cancellation lists around the time you think you may be ready to take the test. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Test administration is conducted centrally, to increase any chance opt for last minute cancellation, and more than one test centre.
It is a vocational licence, do not expect it to be a breeze.
Book appropriate training, after researching the trading organisations pedigree.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have posted this on a number of different threads but if the waiting gets to be a ridiculous length of time:

"as long as you have at least attempted to go through their own complaints procedure PLEASE get your MP involved and ask him / her to refer your to
www.ombudsman.org.uk

You may have to point out that this service exists as many MPs appear to be unaware of it."

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
That s going to be bigger job than most people understand. It will require a lot of side learning about how th use a lorry and the tachograph rules plus a CPD to be carried out regularly and medicals renewed according to age. Motorhome should be given a class of their own but even a professional coach and bus driver nedds to go the route of lorry licence to obtain a C or C1 and still no trailer licence without another specials class training and test..
You don't need a CPC for private use, medical at 35 is a one off till 45 then its 5 yearly until 60 when it becomes yearly and you can tow a trailer up to 750kg

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi and welcome. You don't need a CPC or tacho training. I have C+E because I regularly drive Artics.

1,If I was your age I would take a C not a C1 as I believe its pretty much the same cost but will mean if you ever decide to go bigger you will not be subject to the 7500kgs limit.

2 bailey s aren't that heavy, are you sure you can't register and operate it at 3500kgs for now and don't carry as much water etc?
Hth
Jon

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Downsizing and getting it re-registered is possibly going to be subject to the same admin delays.

Just an idea, probably of no interest, but do you have a friend with a C1 who could drive it to a campsite for you so you could at least get some use, otherwise I fear it's going to be a long, long time.

Personally I think it is disgraceful for a vendor not to check you can actually use the vehicle before taking your money - any reputable salesman knows the score.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Downsizing and getting it re-registered is possibly going to be subject to the same admin delays.

Just an idea, probably of no interest, but do you have a friend with a C1 who could drive it to a campsite for you so you could at least get some use, otherwise I fear it's going to be a long, long time.

Personally I think it is disgraceful for a vendor not to check you can actually use the vehicle before taking your money - any reputable salesman knows the score.
Money, they only want the money

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi and welcome. You don't need a CPC or tacho training. I have C+E because I regularly drive Artics.

1,If I was your age I would take a C not a C1 as I believe its pretty much the same cost but will mean if you ever decide to go bigger you will not be subject to the 7500kgs limit.

2 bailey s aren't that heavy, are you sure you can't register and operate it at 3500kgs for now and don't carry as much water etc?
Hth
Jon
Unless it changed they ask you exactly the same questions as any other driver being tested for a C1 or C licence, I was quizzed on driving hours and tacho use.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Unless it changed they ask you exactly the same questions as any other driver being tested for a C1 or C licence, I was quizzed on driving hours and tacho use.
Its a while since I took my test (30 years) they didnt then but anyway the OP definitely does not eed the Bs of the driver CPC.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Do you have to do the Hazard perception test as well as the HGV Highway code test for the C1 like the C? If so the OP needs to start researching and getting test software.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Do you have to do the Hazard perception test as well as the HGV Highway code test for the C1 like the C? If so the OP needs to start researching and getting test software.
The only difference in the tests is the vehicle you take it in. Same route and same manoeuvres

You will need to practice the hazard perception.

As Jongood said, I would take the C. It automatically gives you C1 and the cost is identical.

I did C1 then C1+E. I can’t grumble as my employer paid, however if I had been in a different vehicle, I could have had C+E.

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Applied for provisional 1st week may still waiting

I got an app for theory learning £8

will then have to wait for theory slot and take tuition and test… realistically I expect sept pass timeline

chap thankfully had hgv license so all not lost here

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
With any luck it won't be too long before they increase the weight limit of the B licence to 4.250 tons. A number of organisations are campaigning for such an increase including manufacturers. It has already been increased for commercial van drivers of electric vehicles.
ezee

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
With any luck it won't be too long before they increase the weight limit of the B licence to 4.250 tons. A number of organisations are campaigning for such an increase including manufacturers. It has already been increased for commercial van drivers of electric vehicles.
ezee
Wouldn’t that count in Europe or would it just be Uk

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I could well be wrong but I thought that the EU were already working towards the 4 ton before brexit came in.
That is correct it is being backed by the FICC (Federation International de Camping, Caravanning)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back